Karlací¡ Coffee Company - Owner Oscar Aldana's Single-Origin Coffee from Quindio, Colombia

I first tried Karlací¡ Coffee at a tasting they were holding at Weygandt's in Cleveland Park.  Owner Oscar Aldana grew up in Colombia and moved to the States when he was 26.  He started Karlací¡ to support Colombian coffee growers from the Quindio region, many of whom he knows from his youth/family connections.

A cool story and roasters of some very nice coffee.

I first tried Karlací¡ Coffee at a tasting they were holding at Weygandt's in Cleveland Park. Owner Oscar Aldana grew up in Colombia and moved to the States when he was 26. He started Karlací¡ to support Colombian coffee growers from the Quindio region, many of whom he knows from his youth/family connections.

A cool story and roasters of some very nice coffee.

Definitely a cool story. Hadn't heard of this importer/roaster before. Any idea where they roast? Is it locally based? And, wonder where it's sold besides online direct? The site alludes to points of sale around DC but didn't see those named under "Where to Buy"

Their website says they roast in the DC area using a Diedrich 12 kilo coffee roaster.  The husband/wife team live locally and travel back to Colombia frequently.  As far as I understand it most, if not all, of his family still lives in Colombia and his wife is American.

List of retail shops.  We bought a pound at Weygandt's when they were doing their tasting and Weygandt's is carrying it (at least was carrying late last year). 

• Like 1

Karlaca had a stand at the UDC Farmer's Market in Van Ness this past summer (I sincerely hope they return this coming season) and quickly became a favorite of mine. They would have both cold brew and pour overs available at shockingly reasonable prices given the quality of the product.  I have a stockpile of their single grower beans,  that I use at home in the Chemex (hot and cold) but have also had great results in a French Press and cold brew. In general, I think their beans produce a really balanced, generally low acidity cup of coffee. As local roasters go, I really think they are one of the best. 

• Like 1

We have enjoyed the Castillo, from the Tierra Labrantia Farm, farmer Danilo Gomez, from the Filandia region, grown at 1,750 meters.

We have had good results using our French press, although at the tasting they used a pour over.

Their Facebook page says, among other things they do and have: "Coffee Shop." If anyone discovers where one is (or where their roasting operation occurs), please chime in and let us know - I've written them, and alerted them to this thread, so hopefully they'll chime in here at some point.

I agree, this looks like a fascinating operation, and (if you'll forgive the term) a passionate labor of love.

I swung by Weygandt's yesterday during our snowy walk about the Hood.  They were about to close, lights were off, but Tim was still there and let us in for a quick purchase (Thanks Tim!).  Anyhoo, they definitely still carry Karlaca.