Graduation Lunch from GMU for 12 in June, 2015

mcbriden

My daughter is graduating from the Patriot Center on a Tuesday morning in June.  We'd like to take about 12 people to a nice lunch after the ceremony, preferably in Virginia.

We've done the GAR's to death, so I'd rather skip those restaurants. Does anyone have any suggestions for a very nice lunch restaurant?

My daughter is graduating from the Patriot Center on a Tuesday morning in June.  We'd like to take about 12 people to a nice lunch after the ceremony, preferably in Virginia.

We've done the GAR's to death, so I'd rather skip those restaurants. Does anyone have any suggestions for a very nice lunch restaurant?

Outback Steakhouse is right there.

If you want to go upscale, Villa Mozart is merely a right turn on Route 123, likewise Bellissimo and Le Mediterranean Bistro (make sure Driss Zahidi is there for your party).

The other night, I went to El Fresco in Chantilly (thanks to ulrath, I discovered one of the better Tex-Mex places in the area, with outstanding guacamole and house-made chips), and you can get there from GMU in 10 minutes without traffic. It was good enough where I raised it to Italic; however, you have to stand in line and order at the counter; more importantly, it opens up that area of Chantilly for you - up Braddock, North on Fairfax County Parkway, West on Route 50. Use the Dining Guide to help you - if people knew just how much time I spent on this (I just updated some Twitter accounts in Mount Vernon Square, for example, as part of an ongoing campaign to keep it up-to-date), they would be shocked.

I asked a similar question and here's what I received:

Graduation Dinner, 17-18 People, $20-25 Per Person

Thanks! I saw that thread but this was lunch so I thought I'd ask a similar question. I was thinking of a place like Trummers, but they are only open for lunch on Friday and Saturday, so I was hoping for some suggestions.

Outback Steakhouse is right there.

If you want to go upscale, Villa Mozart is merely a right turn on Route 123, likewise Bellissimo and Le Mediterranean Bistro (make sure Driss Zahidi is there for your party).

The other night, I went to El Fresco in Chantilly (thanks to ulrath, I discovered one of the better Tex-Mex places in the area, with outstanding guacamole and house-made chips), and you can get there from GMU in 10 minutes without traffic. It was good enough where I raised it to Italic; however, you have to stand in line and order at the counter; more importantly, it opens up that area of Chantilly for you - up Braddock, North on Fairfax County Parkway, West on Route 50. Use the Dining Guide to help you - if people knew just how much time I spent on this (I just updated some Twitter accounts in Mount Vernon Square, for example, as part of an ongoing campaign to keep it up-to-date), they would be shocked.

Outback...nice one. Although several in our party think that is the ultimate place, I was going for a something different. Besides, I don't think they are open for lunch on a Tuesday.

Villa Mozart is a great suggestion. I've never been there, but have always meant to go and this is the perfect opportunity. I think we'll head there.

Thanks for the El Fresco tip. My last experience at Picante in Chantilly wasn't one I ever want to repeat, so I've been looking for a new Mexican/tex mex restaurant.

Thank you for all your work on the dining guide. I have used the dining guide before, and it always helps me out, but am blocked now because I haven't made 10 posts yet. This post puts me at 10, so I'll be able to use it again!

• Like 1

Thank you for all your work on the dining guide. I have used the dining guide before, and it always helps me out, but am blocked now because I haven't made 10 posts yet. This post puts me at 10, so I'll be able to use it again!

[Anyone who was blocked out because I changed the requirements *after* they joined, please write me, and I'll get you access. It was not my intent to bait-and-switch folks like mcbriden. Yes, I was trying to encourage posting, but not at the cost of hosing people who had joined under the old rules, who I will happily grandfather in. Write me! My apologies to anyone to whom this happened, and I'll make it right for you.]

• Like 1

I second Villa Mozart. It's not far from the Patriot Center, and they have a weekday fixed-price lunch special of 3 courses for $20. Outback doesn't open until 4:00, for dinner.

Another good choice is Choices By Shawn, about a block further up Chain Bridge Road. It can be noisy, but for 20 people you could probably reserve the back room, which is bright and sunny. Yes, they accommodate food allergies and intolerances, including having a separate kitchen for gluten-free orders. But the food is good overall, and not terribly expensive. They have great burgers, both beef and turkey.  I also love their soups and salads, the meatloaf, and the fried chicken breast. My husband loves their Reuben sandwich and particularly their onion rings (not gluten-free). There's something for everyone on the menu. It's very popular for lunch, so advance reservations for a group are a must. Here is their lunch menu. They also offer an afternoon tea, as another option.