Mio, Vermont & L Streets, McPherson Square - With GM Manuel Iguina, Chef Roberto Hernandez Replaces Giovanna Huyke - Closed Dec 31, 2015

Dear mdt,

Good evening and thank you so much for visiting us last night. Chef Giovanna will make this special again on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of next week due to the high demand it had last night. The run completely took us by surprise (but I suspect we still had some in the caldero when you ordered but our server overlooked running through the special). Please ask for Manuel or Chef Giovanna when you return to visit us, this community is very dear to us and we do not want to disappoint you. Thank you again for coming and please feel free to send me any suggestions or recommendations for improvement you may have. Feliz Navidad y Prospero Aí±o Nuevo!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

¡Buenos días! We wanted to share our New Year's Eve menu with you and let you know there will be salsa dancing afterwards!

New Year's Eve Chef's Tasting Menu

$65.00pp

Piscolabis (Amuse-Bouche)

*Almojábanas

*Buñuelo de Bacalao

*Fritura de Yuca Rellena de Queso

Sopa de Platano (Tostones) con Hash de Pato

Plantain Soup, Duck Confit

Tarta de Gorgonzola y Guayaba, Mini Ensalada

Gorgonzola/Guava Tart, Seasonal Greens

Pastel Tricolor de Yuca con Salmón Glaceado de Parcha

Yucca Tamal, Passion Fruit Glazed Salmon

Cordero Medrado en Salsa de Guiso, Arroz Mamposteao y Amarillos

Lamb, Mamposteao Rice, Ripe Plantains

Mousse de Chocolate Blanco con Salsa de Oporto

White Chocolate Mousse, Port Reduction

Tables available from 6:00pm until 10:00pm.

After Dinner: Music, Party favors and late supper Pozole (ritually significant, traditional soup or stew from Mexico) to wake up your senses.

sweet Caribbean peppers (we call them “ají dulces”, when available, as they need to be flown in from Puerto Rico)

Is there any chance you'd be willing to resell a few? I can get just about anything I need here in the Asian or Latin markets, but no aji dulces anywhere. And the online sources are failing me, too.

Is there any chance you'd be willing to resell a few? I can get just about anything I need here in the Asian or Latin markets, but no aji dulces anywhere. And the online sources are failing me, too.

Do you have a garden? I've been growing them for 4 or 5 years (ever since a former coworker from PR gave me some seeds). I never know what to do with them, but keep growing them just because they're so different and I never see them in seed catalogs.

Mine look like this and have a mild spice/heat to them. When fully ripe, they are a much deeper red.

Aji_NewBedford.jpg

¡Buenos días! We wanted to share our Valentine's menu promotion with the community.

Valentine’s Week Menu

Three Latin American Love Stories – One Mio Menu

Inspired by three legendary Latin American love stories, Mio’s Valentine’s Week Menu will show case selections from Puerto Rico, Mexico and Perú. You can mix and match to your delight!

The Legend of Guanina & Sotomayor – Puerto Rico

One of the first legends retold in Puerto Rico. Guanina was a Taino Indian princess in love with Dón Cristobal de Sotomayor, a Spanish officer who had come to “Boriken” to conquer and colonize. He and five other Spaniards were attacked by the Tainos and Sotomayor was killed. When Guanina was given the news of her lover’s death, she tried to bring him back to life through her kisses and caresses.

Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo – Mexico

The marriage of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo is one of the most famous alliances between artists. This dynamic pair was not only known for their talent and vision, but also for their stormy love affair that would last over 30 years. Theirs was a love inspired by mutual beliefs and passions. However, often throughout the course of their turbulent relationship, they were viewed as immature school children displaying bouts of jealousy and anger. Despite their problems, Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera overcame the obstacles and their love proved enduring.

La Tia Julia y el Escribidor – Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter – Perú

Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter is the fifth novel by Mario Vargas Llosa and published in 1977. Set in Peru during the 1950s, it is the story of an 18 year old student who falls for a 32 year old divorcee. The novel is based on the author’s real life experience. Vargas Llosa’s novel was later adapted as a Hollywood feature film: Tune in Tomorrow.

Mio Restaurant’s Valentine’s Week Prix Fixe Menu

Tuesday, February 13 – Saturday, February 18, 2012

5:00 PM – 10:00 PM

Cost: $65.00 Per Person (Exclusive of Beverage, Tax & Gratuity)

Reservations strongly suggested at (202) 955-0075 or www.opentable.com

MENÚ

PISCOLABIS MIXTOS

Tostón con Pâté de Morcilla, Taquito de Salmón al Pastor y Papa a la Huancaína

Blood Sausage Pâté on Plantain, Mexican Salmon Taquito, Potato Peruvian Piquant Sauce

STARTERS (Choice of One)

Sopa de Papaya Ajo y Queso con Salmorejo Blanco y Chayote

Papaya Garlicky-Cheese Soup with Cold Chayote Vinaigrette

Pozole de Pescado

Pre-Columbian Mexican Seafood Soup with Pozole Maize

Chupe de Caracoles

Velvety Achiote -Clam Chowder

SECOND COURSE (Choice of One)

Pastel bi-color Relleno de Camarones (pollo disponible) en Caldo de Calabaza y Tomates

Yucca-Plantain , Shrimp, Puerto Rican “Tamal” (chicken available) in Pumpkin-Tomato Broth

Tamal de Codorniz en Mole Verde

Quail Tamal on Green Mole

Anticucho de Pulpo sobre Encurtido de Choclo

Peruvian style Grilled Octopus over Maize Preserve

ENTRÉE (Choice of One)

Filete de Cerdo al estilo Can Can con Habichuelas Coloradas en Escabeche y Mofongo

Puerto Rican style deep fried/fat cap Pork tenderloin over Red Bean Vinaigrette and Mofongo

Gallinita al Caldero en Salsa de Mole Negro y Arroz Verde

Cauldron style Cornish Hen in Black Mole and Green Rice

Seco de Cordero con Frijoles Batidos

Peruvian Lamb Stew on Thrice beaten Bean Purée

DESSERT (Choice of One)

Isla Flotante sobre Natilla de Especias y Ron y Salsa de Guayaba

“1000 Spices” Custard Floating Island with Rum/Guava Sauce

Suspiros de Lukuma

“Gold of the Incas” Fruit Meringue

Mousse de Rompope

Latin Eggnog Mousse

Consuming, Raw or Undercooked Meats, Poultry, Seafood, Shellfish or Eggs

May Increase Your Risk of Food-Borne Illness.

Mio – Mine, Yours, Ours, Salud!

1110 Vermont Ave NW, Washington DC 20005

NQD and I were at Mio last Friday night, joined by my mother, her brother and sister, and a friend of my mother's. That's four and a half Puerto Ricans, eager to try the Puerto Rican Friday menu. The verdict? Very, very good. Authentic traditional flavors any grandmother would be proud of, but with a refined technique few could achieve.

Puerto Rican food is not delicate stuff. We eat heavy food - stews and root vegetables and lots of fried things, along with plenty of pork and rice and beans. Good, solid winter meals from an island that has never known anything but summer. My mother and her siblings started off with assorted frituras, or fritters. Puerto Rican street food - or beach food, if you prefer. We'll fry anything. I didn't try most of it, but I got a taste of alcapurria - traditionally mashed tubers, or green plaintain, or yucca, or some combination filled with well-seasoned ground beef and fried. This was a good version, lacking only hot weather and an ocean breeze. Along with the frituras they split an order of lechon, or roast pig. (Technically it should be a suckling pig, but usually anything under 100 pounds qualifies.) Moist, juicy, perfectly cooked. I assume there was crispy skin, but my family fights over that stuff, so I never saw it. Nice piggy flavor. I do, however, prefer my own version, but I am biased. The main difference is I inject a brine & marinade into the pig, so the meat is well-seasoned throughout. But theirs is definitely worth eating, and it's a hell of a lot less work to let them do it.

NQD started with Mini Mofongo Semi-Dulce de Camarones. Mofongo is fried and mashed green plaintain, with the usual addition of garlic, pork cracklings, and some form of meat and drippings (pork, chicken, or shrimp are standard). Done right, it's in my top five favorite foods. This version used semi-sweet plaintains,and was topped with shrimp. NQD liked the taste, but thought the texture of the partially ripe plaintain didn't hold up properly. I agreed. My starter was Codornices Rellenas de Foie Gras y Funche con Mojito Rojo - quail stuffed with foie gras and white polenta. Delicious, well-cooked. I don't know if it qualifies as traditional Puerto Rican food, but the seasonings and overall flavor profile were right from the island.

NQD's entree was Bife de Chorizo sobre Amarillos y Tortita de Mamposteao - rib-eye steak with ripe plaintain and rice. Nothing fancy or exotic here, just good, solid peasant food, if peasants could afford rib-eyes. Mine was pastelon. Think of something between a lasagna and a moussaka. The layers are plaintain and picadillo, a ground meat mixture, and depending on whose family is making it, may contain egg, cheese, and various vegetables - green beans, corn, etc., probably out of a can. This version included cheese (my family doesn't) and veal as the meat base. My mother asked if it was better than hers. I didn't answer, I just handed her the fork, and there was no need to discuss it further. This was an outstanding dish. I don't remember what the others had, but everyone seemed to be very happy.

For dessert, most of the table shared a couple of orders of something chocolatey. They seemed to enjoy it. I had the flan of the day, mostly because if there's flan, or crème caramel, or whatever you choose to call it, I will eat it. It was very good. Again, I'm a bit biased; my aunt, who did not come with her husband, my mother's brother, makes flan that surpasses anything I've ever had from a professional kitchen. Friday's flan also fell short, but still, a good effort.

So DC has a good Puerto Rican (and more) restaurant. Is it what you'd find if you went into someone's home and Grandma was cooking? Not exactly, but close enough that Grandma would clean her plate.

Mine was pastelon. Think of something between a lasagna and a moussaka. The layers are plaintain and picadillo, a ground meat mixture, and depending on whose family is making it, may contain egg, cheese, and various vegetables - green beans, corn, etc., probably out of a can. This version included cheese (my family doesn't) and veal as the meat base. My mother asked if it was better than hers. I didn't answer, I just handed her the fork, and there was no need to discuss it further. This was an outstanding dish. I don't remember what the others had, but everyone seemed to be very happy.

Gosh this sounds good.

¡Saludos! Posting our Mother's Day Brunch Menu. Hope to see you!

Sunday Brunch

Brunch “Drinkings”

Mio’s Mimosas $10

Bottomless $18

Mango

Passion Fruit

Blood Orange

White Peach

Bloody Mary’s $10

El Clásico

La Boricua

La Mexicana

Micheladas $7

Red Eye $7

Ensaladas

Ensalada de Arugula con Papaya

Arugula, Avocado, Papaya Salad, Fried “Queso Fresco”,

Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette​

Ensalada de Tomate con Chayote

Tomato, Chayote, Bacon, Creamy Chive Dressing​​

Ensalada de Frutas

Fresh Fruit, Greek Yogurt, Clover Honey ​

Huevos

Mio Benedictinos

Mallorca Toasts, Sautéed Onions, Tomatoes, Ripe Plantain

Topped with Poached Egg and Hollandaise Sauce​

Tortilla de Espárragos con Manchego

Asparagus and Manchego Cheese Frittata ​

Quiche de Longaniza con Amarillos

Longaniza Sausage, Ripe Plantain Quiche ​

Las Arepas de Michelle y Victor Hugo

Perico Style Scrambled Eggs, Onion, Tomato, Queso Blanco

Desayuno Dulzón

Sweet Pastry Basket​

Sweet and Salty Breads

Flavored Butters: Spicy Red, Chimichurri, Guava, Ginger Spice

Puerto Rican Waffle (like Belgium-but better)

Crushed Pineapple, Dulce de Leche, Walnuts

Mallorca Rellena como la hace Giovanna

Mallorca French Toast, Guava & Cream Cheese Filling, Almond Crusted

Pancakes de Limon y Ricotta

Ricotta-Lemon Pancakes, Clover Honey Rum Syrup

Almuerzo

Corvina

Rockfish, Israeli Couscous, Wheat Berries, Vegetables

Passion Fruit Beurre Blanc

Pastelón de Pollo

Puerto Rican “Lasagna” made with Ripe Plantain and Chicken

New York Strip

New York Strip, French Fries, Arroz Mamposteao Cake

“A Caballo” Topped with a Fried Egg (optional)

Montecristo Boricua

Ham and Cheese Montecristo,

Fried Egg, Salsa Criolla

Family Style Sides:

Tocineta Sabrosa

Crispy Apple Wood Smoked Bacon

Hash de Léchon

Roasted Pig Hash

Chorizo Argentino

Argentinean Grilled Chorizo

Croquetas de Bacalao

Codfish Croquettes

Yuca Frita

Fried Yucca

Amarillos

Ripe Plantains

Mangu Estilo Dominicano

Plantain Mash

Tostones

Fried Plantains

Postres

Rollito de Canela con Nueces

The Ultimate Decadent Cinnamon Roll

Bizcocho de Ron con Limón

Lime Rum Cake

Guayaba con Almendra

Guava and Almond Tart

Pie de Limón con Merenge

Lemon Meringue Pie

Mousse de Chocolate con Dulce de Leche y Mantecaditos

Chocolate Mousse, Dulce de Leche Sauce, Shortbread Cookie

¡Saludos Don! Back from a long hiatus! We wanted to make your community aware that we have started to highlight a daily signature dish from Puerto Rico every day of the week Monday through Saturday. Our concept is driven by both coastal recipes and highland traditional fare with the flare and spice variations provided by our Chef, Giovanna Huyke. "Monte y Mar" (Highland and Sea) is centered squarely on our Puerto Rican culinary traditions of plaza de mercado (market square) provisioning, highland use of pig's trotters and young goat for stewing, firm meat fishes such as Spanish Mackerel and our traditional treatment of salt and fresh codfish (Bacalao). The foundation of each dish has the unmistakeable DNA of Puerto Rican sofrito (a culantro (not cilantro!) and tomato/pepper base Spanish-style mirepoix and our more assertive escabeche (we favor higher notes of capers and olives)). Of course, our signature lechón asado is our center piece of Viernes Social! Our commitment remains that MIO will always remain a food centric experience at the best value possible. Either Manuel, Karla or Chef Giovanna are always present at the restaurant and positively receptive to the Don Rockwell's community feedback -- good or bad. Please come visit us and engage us with your comments and questions!

Monte y Mar Isleño – Daily Culinary Signatures from coastal and highland Puerto Rico!

Lunes de Mercado (Market Mondays)

Farmer's Market selections interpreted by Chef Giovanna Huyke. Ingredients are carefully selected by the Chef herself and treated with Puerto Rican flair and spice.

Martes de Costa (Coastal Tuesdays)

Fried Spanish Mackerel, served with Caribbean escabeche and Puerto Rican styled tostones.

Miercoles Campestre (Country Style Wednesdays)

Traditional Puerto Rican highland young goat stew, served with plantain mofongo balls.

Jueves de Patitas (Trotters Thursday)

Deboned Pork Trotters, very slowly simmered in a tomato/authentic Spanish chorizo stew with chick peas.

Viernes Social (Social Friday)

Tapas styled Puerto Rican roasted lechon or dinner sized roasted lechón with Rice and Pigeon Peas.

Sábado Atlántico (Atlantic Saturdays)

North Atlantic premium codfish trio of Sweet Potato-Cod Brandade, Delicate Fresh Filet of Cod in gentle Chablis grapes sauce, and Salt Cod Tapenade Salad.

Please e-mail Francisca Iguina at:francisca@miorestarant.com or call us at (202) 955-0075 from Monday – Friday 10:00 a.m – 6:00 p.m for further information.

Hola Don,

It's been a while! Just a heads up that we are serving our Thursday Trotters special tonight (Patitas de Cerdo) - a very typical Puerto Rican pig's feet stew interpreted by Chef Giovanna. We buy the trotters from (Papa Weaver in Virginia), soak them and pressure cook them to debone them individually, then slowly stew them in sofirto, authentic Spanish chorizo (with Pimenton de la Vera), onions and chick peas. We aim for that collagen rich stew and tender tids and bits of pig's feet with the bite of chick peas and smokiness of the chorizo. Hope to see you here tonight (please make reservations).

Pedro

Here is a pic....

http://www.facebook....&type=1

Mio had not been on my radar at all, besides a few mentions in Tom Sietsema's chat. However, when looking for a dinner spot in the McPherson area, my friends and I decided to check it out on a whim...and we're glad we did.

Our service was a bit slow throughout the evening, but the food made up for it. Bread service is a basket of crusty baguette-type bread served warm with herb butter. That didn't last long on our table.

The menu online seems much shorter than what was available in the restaurant (although the entree names could not be considered short at all!). One friend had the Dorado la Plancha con Mofongo de Yautia y Yuca, “Chunky Sofrito” ($24.00 Plancha Seared Mahi Mahi, Chunky Sofrito, Yuca-Malanga Mofongo). I only tried her fish and not the sides, but it was flavorful and moist and she seemed to like the dish as a whole. This is marketed as "fish of the day" on the menu, but was mahi when we visited. One friend had the Chillo Frito con Purée de Batata Dulce y Mojito Isleño ($24.00 Fried Whole Red Snapper, Sweet Potato, Island Mojito, Avocado-Papaya Crudo), although when she expressed curiosity about how deeply the snapper was fried, the server offered that it could be grilled instead, which she accepted. In fact, upon receiving the beautifully plated dish and digging in, she wondered why anyone would want it fried since the grilled fish was so fresh and clean tasting. She also really enjoyed the mashed sweet potatoes and crudo. The third dish at our table isn't listed on the online menu, but was, I believe, Coconut Shrimp with Mofongo ($25). I didn't try the shrimp, but the mofongo was amazing. Crispy mashed and fried plantains with some garlic and other seasonings. Delicious.

I had the Pastelόn de Amarillos Rellenos del Dia con Arroz y Ensalada ($21.00 Puerto Rican “Lasagna” of the Day made with Seasonal Stuffing & Ripe Plaintains, White Rice & Salad), which had been extolled above and had piqued my interest. Last night's version was made with veal and also contained raisins and green olives, among some other things (which reminded me of a saltena or empanada of some sort). Not being an olive fan, I picked those out (and it was easy enough to do so), but the rest of the dish was great. It was a large serving of the pastelon, accompanied by a pile of white rice and a lightly dressed salad of greens. The plantain layers and raisins added some sweetness, with the ground veal bringing it back to savory. Everyone tried a bite at the table and all really enjoyed it.

Overall we came away impressed and wanting to come back and try other things on the menu. With large servings and a lower price point than other restaurants in the area, we felt it had a lot of value, as well as a lot of flavor. I look forward to returning.

Just a few quick comments about Mio. We've been here twice this winter. Before that, I had never thought about Puerto Rican cuisine, but a cruise out of San Juan in November changed my mind about that. I'd recommend the cabrito (young goat) stew if it's on the menu, meaty chunks of goat with concentrated tomato and cilantro in the sauce. The pig trotters stewed with chickpeas and chorizo is rich with collagen.

We've been on Friday nights both times, once having the appetizer portion of the lechon (roast pork) and once having the entree. The entree is bigger, but the appetizer is a better combination for me, with yuca escabeche. I think that mixture provides a brightness that complements the richness of the pork.

The pastelόn de amarillos rellenos is a creative dish, reminiscent of lasagna, using slices of ripe plantain instead of the noodles. The night I had it the dish used ground veal in it. Barbara and I talked about how it would be a way for a person who has a gluten-intolerance to enjoy a 'lasagna'.

I really look forward to trying some other things on the menu, especially some of the bar menu. Happy hour there looks like fun, and a good bargain.

Good article from the Post on current trends in Puerto Rico's cuisine beyond rice and beans (or mofongo, for that matter). Chef Giovanna was quoted as well. Sourcing locally on the island, unbelievably enough, is a challenge given the huge reliance on imports. But there may finally be a change.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/puerto-rican-food-beyond-rice-and-beans/2013/02/14/3228147c-722d-11e2-ac36-3d8d9dcaa2e2_story.html

I had lunch at Mio yesterday.  The weather was perfect, so I ate outside on the patio.  Kudos for having plenty of umbrellas to provide shade.  A bit of a knock for playing the music so loudly that, even outside, it became a bit irritating.

Three course menu for $22 was a pretty superb deal.  Roasted pumpkin gazpacho had good balance, just enough heat to offset the richness of the dish.  I could see someone saying that it is a bit heavy for the summer, but I didn't feel that way.  Salmon was cooked perfectly for my entrée.  I wasn't a huge fan of the mashed potatoes though (not sure exactly what these were, maybe some sweet potato was in there too?), just too heavy for the summer.  A dessert of sesame seed pound cake was a good ending to the meal.  I want to note that I was also very impressed by the bread served (hot!) with herb butter (not too cold!).

Good lunch spot and I will definitely be back for some drinks on the patio on the next nice day we have (which seems like will be today).