Saturday, April 11, we will gather in the loft at Baby Wale from 5:30 to 8:30. (We have to vacate the premises then because another party has reserved the space at 9.)

However, there are lots of possibilities in the vacinity for those who may want to keep the festivities going.

I would appreciate a head count; so, please send me a PM if you want attend.

• Like 5

Zora already knows but I much regret the fact that I'll be out of town, the only thing stopping me from joining everyone for this sendoff. As I've told Zora and Don, the only reason I started posting on this site several years ago was because, as a lurker, I learned so much and began to feel guilty that I wasn't contributing anything.

When I think of all the members here from whom I've learned so much and whom I've been so privileged to meet, Zora is at least tied for first on that list. Her knowledge of food and cooking are truly encylopedic. The heart that drives her generosity in sharing so much with us is surely oversized. And, though she has strong opinions about many things (which I personally love), she has a humility that seasons her writing and makes every word all the more compelling. One of my biggest dr.com regrets is that I didn't get to know Zora better beyond her online persona.

Wishing you nothing but utter joy, bliss, good health, time with family, wonderful food and wine, and endless gorgeous sunsets off the Maine coast, Zora. If ensuring achievement of those goals can also mean you'll stay active here, I know I'm far from alone in saying I'd feel delighted and very fortunate.

• Like 4

Well, thanks so much to everyone who turned up at Baby Wale tonight to hang out, eat, drink, and wish me bon voyage. We also toasted DR.com and our dear leader on the upcoming 10th anniversary of this site. So great to see old friends and more recent ones. Many thanks to Barbara for organizing this. I have many people I consider friends as the result of DR.com, and I will miss you all. And I will stay in touch.

• Like 4

Well, thanks so much to everyone who turned up at Baby Wale tonight to hang out, eat, drink, and wish me bon voyage. We also toasted DR.com and our dear leader on the upcoming 10th anniversary of this site. So great to see old friends and more recent ones. Many thanks to Barbara for organizing this. I have many people I consider friends as the result of DR.com, and I will miss you all. And I will stay in touch.

As I guess everyone knows, I was down in Newport News yesterday at a Virginia High School band and orchestra festival - I had previously written Zora and explained to her that I'd hoped to surprise her and be there, but this was a legitimate family obligation that was almost akin to a graduation.

Zora, I'm running on the assumption that you'll still be shopping and cooking in Maine, and that the move will just be an opportunity for you to double your friends. I'm really sorry that you're leaving, as you're not only the single most-active member in our history, but have also been a close personal friend to me over the years, especially in recent years when things have changed for me.

So I hope you'll forgive me for not saying "goodbye," as I'm terrible at goodbyes, but instead saying "see you when you unpack and get settled." The Dinner thread would never be the same without you <--- and you can consider that last sentence "passive-aggressive" if you want, having used the word "would" instead of "will." :)

Love you,

Don

• Like 4

It's been many (MANY) a moon since I've logged on and posted here.  I moved to SLC, UT (an absolutely wonderful place with a so-so food scene, sigh) and just don't get back to DC often enough to make checking in frequently worthwhile.

BUT, I was just reading the comments on an article in NYT cooking about 'the best brownie' and I read a thoughtful, interesting comment.  This is something of a rarity in the comment section, even of the esteemed NYT.  So, I look to see who wrote and whose name should appear but Zora Margolis!  But, the location is somewhere in ME.  No, I think, no way.  The tone of this comment can ONLY be the Zora I know from the DC foodie scene.  But there's no way she moved to ME.  I always envisioned her returning someday to LA or something.  But, I know I will find the answer to whether it really is Zora or not here on DonRockwell.  Thanks for giving me the 411, DR.com.

Zora, if you ever check back in here, just another fond statement about how much I enjoyed reading your posts.  We met at a few DR.com events over the years and I've always enjoyed breaking bread with you as well.  I went to ME for the first time last year and really liked it.  Very different from my current desert  digs, but lots to recommend it.  I hope you're enjoying it.

• Like 1

Hi Smoky-- a former DR.com stalwart alerted me to your post, on Facebook, natch. Yes, I moved to Maine in April, 2015. While my friends in L.A. were sweltering in 100+ degree heat last week--you might have been, too-- I was enjoying the mid-70's, with a gentle breeze off the Sheepscot River behind my house. I've met some local food writers here, and there is a very active farmers market/local agriculture scene here. It's beautiful here.

I frankly can't recall my comment about brownies on the NYT--I'll have to go back and read what I said. But thanks for the kudo!