Saturday Lunch in Ellicott City After A Hike - Close To The River

porcupine

Canopy if you want something as simple as pit beef sandwiches. Hunan Taste (Catonsville) is very good.

There's a Honey Pig and a Bonchon as well.

There are a few Korean places that get good reviews (check the dining guide) but I haven't been to any of them.

Sorry, I should have been specific - this needs to be in quick walking distance of the downtown area (near the river the Frederick Rd).

I wish I had a better answer, but here's some reference material:

ellicottcity.net - visithowardcounty.com - ellicottcityoldtownmarket.com

And the two best ideas: HowChow and this and this (27 picnic pavilions) - I can't think of one good reason not to turn this into a special occasion instead of having a typical post-hike grunge-scarf: Make a couple Pan Bagnats and let them marinate while you hike - don't forget the essentials.

Thanks, but dining is not the point of this outing.  It's a field trip for a class; we're hiking in from elsewhere and have one hour to ourselves to find lunch before meeting up for another hike.  If I could have my car nearby and if the forecast were better I'd bring a cooler and all sorts of goodies for a picnic, but I'm not carrying tuna in my daypack with my camera gear and notebook and tools.  :-)

Thanks, but dining is not the point of this outing.  It's a field trip for a class; we're hiking in from elsewhere and have one hour to ourselves to find lunch before meeting up for another outing.  If I could have my car nearby and if the forecast were better I'd bring a cooler and all sorts of goodies for a picnic, but I'm not carrying tuna in my daypack with my camera gear and notebook and tools.  :-)

But it was such a perfect idea. :(

The fact that your car won't be nearby changes things. HowChow is who I'd ask, or maybe a couple of our *Ellicott City members* can chime in, hint hint hint. :)

Sorry, I should have been specific - this needs to be in quick walking distance of the downtown area (near the river and Frederick Rd).

If you mean the east side of downtown, by the Patapsco, I think that's Main St., not Frederick Rd. There's a brewpub about a 5 minute walk west on Main St. And any number of little cafes and such along Main St., none of which are of any particular note.

• Like 1

If you mean the east side of downtown, by the Patapsco, I think that's Main St., not Frederick Rd. There's a brewpub about a 5 minute walk west on Main St. And any number of little cafes and such along Main St., none of which are of any particular note.

It looks like it's Frederick Rd. on one side and Main Street on the other.  I see from google maps that the Trolley Stop and Old Mill Bakery Cafe are right there.  Thanks for the ideas, folks.

And the report: circumstances were such that I ended up at the Trolley Stop with several other people.  I wouldn't go back.  Had a reuben sandwich that was passable (decent quality meat, but the cheese wasn't even melted even though the bread was toasted).  We had enough time after to pop into Bean Hollow, where I had a passable cafe au lait and a decent cinnamon pastry.   Ellicott City looks like a cute place to spend a few hours, but maybe I'd go elsewhere to dine.