Hong Anh, Vietnamese on Backlick Road in Annandale, South of Little River Turnpike - Closed

Driving down Backlick Road toward Springfield, I pass a little gas station with food mart that now has a "Coming Soon" sign for Hong Anh Vietnamese restaurant. I don't know anything about it other than its location of being roughly half a mile from Braddock & Backlick Road intersection and that parking might be difficult (or not). It's a strange location to me, but has anyone else seen this sign??

Driving down Backlick Road toward Springfield, I pass a little gas station with food mart that now has a "Coming Soon" sign for Hong Anh Vietnamese restaurant. I don't know anything about it other than its location of being roughly half a mile from Braddock & Backlick Road intersection and that parking might be difficult (or not). It's a strange location to me, but has anyone else seen this sign??

Yep. It's right next to the gas/service station that is open about 5 minutes a day...randomly. Since I live about a mile or two from it, I figure I'll be giving it a shot when it opens.

Open since Father's Day, I decided to stop in after a grueling match to cheer myself up. Owned by Tom and Theresa Nugen (pronounced Noojin, an alternate spelling of Nguyen), I am happy to find a family-owned, family-run business with Tom's mother at the helm in the kitchen. Theresa (I am unsure if this is the correctly spelling) is very friendly, very much the business part of this place, is also very excited to finally be open. They have somewhat of a limited menu of Pho, Com (Rice), Com Chien (Fried Rice), Bun, Hu Tieu, and Mi (Yellow Egg Noodle) options, compared to places like Present or Four Sisters, but appear very much like comfort food. They also have a kids portion option as well as Boba drinks, familiar Vietnamese beverages and desserts. There is a pending alcoholic beverage license application.

Inside, it is clean and warm, with hanging orange-swirled pendant lights over some tables. I am unsure of how many this place will seat, but at 9:00pm, only myself and a couple occupied these tables, with two other people walking in 15 minutes before the 9:30pm closing time.

I went with my basics and had leftovers to spare. Starting with the Goi Cuon Garden Roll ($2.95), it came with 3-4 large shrimp halves, pork slices, noodles, and lettuce, instead of the usual scallion, wrapped in rice paper. The peanut sauce is runnier compared to some other places. I followed that with the Pho Ga(Chicken) (small $6.45, large $7.45), with an option of white or dark meat (I chose dark). There are also vegetarian and seafood options for those who don't want beef or chicken. When the small order came, I was surprised by its size, double-checking with the waiter to make sure he didn't give me the large order instead. The broth was very fragrant and tasted freshly made, which was confirmed by Theresa. It is not like stocks that other places use, since it was on the clearer side, but had decent flavor, except with a slight salty aftertaste, which I felt on my drive home.

The most interesting moment of the night was when the other table asked if duck sauce was available for their crispy spring roll. :D They are open for lunch (as early as 9:30am) and currently have carry out. I hope to try other things here soon.

Open since Father's Day, I decided to stop in after a grueling match to cheer myself up. Owned by Tom and Theresa Nugen (pronounced Noojin, an alternate spelling of Nguyen),

No, that's not an alternate spelling of Nguyen. Nguyen is pronounced win - 1 syllable. The person change her name based on the wrong pronunciation. Sad, it really is.

My wife and ate at Hong Anh this evening. We had an order of crispy spring rolls, then my wife had vermicelli noodles with pork, and I had a chicken curry dish. All three dishes were good, and the servings were large. The prices were reasonable--$21.16 total, not counting the tip.

I don't know how the place stays in business, though, as it never seems to have many customers. At 6:30 today there were six people eating, counting my wife and I. The last time we ate there, about six months ago, I believe we were the only customers.

It does have a liquor license now, as the folks at one table were drinking beers.

I was very grateful they are still open. Last Wednesday, I had a horrible stuffy cold and having pho here loosened me up enough to play decent game of volleyball. There were more people dining here tonight than John William G's last report, but I hope more will visit. I know I certainly need to stop in here more often.

Once and for all, let's correct the Dining Guide and place Pho Hong Anh in Springfield Plaza, next to Momo's and directly across from Golden Hong Kong (and please, Golden Hong Kong needs to be promoted well above the likes of Walker Grille and Mike's).

Is there more than one location, or has it moved recently? A couple of weeks ago I had an errand to run in the Bradlick Shopping Center at Braddock & Backlick, and noticed Pho Hang Anh there, making a mental note that I wanted to go back and try it after the holidays.

Is there more than one location, or has it moved recently? A couple of weeks ago I had an errand to run in the Bradlick Shopping Center at Braddock & Backlick, and noticed Pho Hang Anh there, making a mental note that I wanted to go back and try it after the holidays.

Hong Anh is closed and replaced by Rice Pot.