Final 4 2015 themed foods?

PollyG

I grew up in Lexington, Kentucky, the child of a UK faculty member.  The whole family will be together in Colorado on Saturday to watch the games.  It's also Passover, which puts a bit of a crimp in themed food plans.  What flour and booze-free foods would you serve to represent each team?

• Wisconsin is easy--it must be cheese.  Or cheese and brats.
  • Michigan is probably something with cherries.
  • Duke is far harder for us because NC 'que is all about the pork. (In our family we might opt to ignore Duke because if you grow up in Lexington, your second-favorite team is whoever is playing against Duke.)
  • Kentucky also poses a bit of a problem because our native "snappy beer cheese" has, well, beer, and the recipe won't fare well without it. Bourbon balls are similarly off the menu for passover.  I'm left with the various pies associated with the state, made without booze and with matzoh cake flour. 
  • Like 2

On an additional note, in light of your final four orientation and likewise distaste for one of those participants, I'd additionally label the bitter herbs as the Christian Laettner bitter herbs.  I'd make them as utterly bitter and untenable as possible.  That will serve to highlight the Passover message concerning the symbolism of that food.

On a side note that reminds me; some of our cousins were cousins on their other side to the family that owned, or started or inherited, or purchased (or maybe all of the above) Rokeach foods (now a part of the Manishewitz company of foods).  These cousins always reported they had the roughest horseradish imaginable on Passover.  One of those relatives lives in the Southwest and eats a good bit of hot chili pepper oriented foods.  He still reports nothing he has encountered comes close to the specialty horseradish he had as a youth.  On the other hand I don't know if he has encountered hot Asian spices.

Good luck with your Passover meal.

• Like 1

DaveO, if you want a rough horseradish experience, grind your own.  Use a blender.  Stick your face into the blender to see how well the grind is going.  It will be a memorable experience.  I did this in college, and I knew better than to inhale, but the next thing I knew I was outside the little 5x7 kitchenette, clinging to the trash can. These days, we grind outside.  We also use a rasp grater to grate at the table, similar to restaurant applications of parmesean.