The Washington Capitals (1974-), Eastern Conference, Metropolitan Division - Moved from Capital Centre in Landover to Capitol One Arena in Chinatown, 1997 - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2017-2018

Pool Boy

There were lines at most of the decent establishments within several blocks of CapOne Center.  I am guessing, many took the Metro to avoid the parking hassles with the road closures.  We were there early so the Metro was modestly utilized, but getting out was not a problem - we opted to leave and go directly home rather than continue the celebration downtown. 

The area around CapOne was trashed.  When the streets closed it appears to be license to disregard disposing of trash in receptacles and smashing glass bottles in the streets.  As we walked out you could the glass breaking as people kicked bottles down the streets.  The crowd was mostly controlled, and I get people excited, just a weird way to show it.

• Like 1

Caps got all the lucky bounces last night.  Knights brought it furiously but a bit of desperation yips and the hockey gods turning the tables had them ringing pucks off the posts instead of going in the net. Our guys just kept their heads, kept playing the strong D and playing the full length of the ice, and kept heading north and into the greasy areas in front of the crease -- well, except for Carlson's one-timer  from Ovi's office on the power play, as Knights made the mistake of following Ovi and not the puck.  And Oshie's incredible coordination to start the scoring:  on the move, catching a pass with his skate, kicking it to his blade and elevating it into the net.  Plus,  Kuzy got 4 assists last night, just incredible!

"TJ Oshie Does It Again for Caps with First Goal of Game 5" on nbcsports.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weezy said:

Caps got all the lucky bounces last night.  Knights brought it furiously but a bit of desperation yips and the hockey gods turning the tables had them ringing pucks off the posts instead of going in the net. Our guys just kept their heads, kept playing the strong D and playing the full length of the ice, and kept heading north and into the greasy areas in front of the crease -- well, except for Carlson's one-timer  from Ovi's office on the power play, as Knights made the mistake of following Ovi and not the puck.  And Oshie's incredible coordination to start the scoring:  on the move, catching a pass with his skate, kicking it to his blade and elevating it into the net.  Plus,  Kuzy got 4 assists last night, just incredible! 

Congrats to the Caps.  Not a big win:  A YUGE win.  Couple of games to go.  Need one win.  Go Caps.

I watched and focused on this game.  Oooooooeeee.   This is the game where the Caps got all the breaks.  The Post was our best friend!!!!!!  

Must admit.  I don't watch much hockey. I'm a basketball fan first and foremost.  Hockey plus basketball during one season is too much for even a sports idiot like myself.   But there is another reason.  I don't watch much hockey or soccer.  I watch far less lacrosse than I once did.

Its all about goalies and posts.  They can make or break games.  One team can dominate play all across the rink or field but a dominant goalie or those damn posts change the outcome 100%.  I think I've been on the wrong side of goalies and posts most decades.  I know posts hated me in my soccer playing days.  I don't believe I ever got a goal off the posts.  Plenty of shots hit the posts and sprayed everywhere and anywhere but the goal.  I mostly hate posts.

But the hockey gods, the posts, and the Caps were in sync last night.  Lets go Caps.  Break that curse!!!!!

Oh yeah.  There were other elements of play that enabled the Caps to win...but those Posts.  The hockey gods greased the Posts on behalf of the Caps last night.  About time!!!!!!

• Like 2

Loudest game I have ever been to.  Not one empty seat and everyone was into the game. Cross one off my bucket list and real glad we went.  Probably will go to the viewing party on Thursday night as the atmosphere is wild.

Most places enjoyed a good uptick in food sales.  We went to Oyamel before the game and had a great dinner.  Oyamel was jamming though and while the food was good the bartenders just could not keep up.  I would have had a few beer but not after my first took 20 minutes to arrive,

We want the CUP.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2018 at 10:23 AM, MarkS said:

Loudest game I have ever been to.  Not one empty seat and everyone was into the game. Cross one off my bucket list and real glad we went.  Probably will go to the viewing party on Thursday night as the atmosphere is wild.

Most places enjoyed a good uptick in food sales.  We went to Oyamel before the game and had a great dinner.  Oyamel was jamming though and while the food was good the bartenders just could not keep up.  I would have had a few beer but not after my first took 20 minutes to arrive,

We want the CUP.

Finals games are something special. I'm (sorta) bummed that mine was in Vegas for Game 1, rather than DC, but now that I live in Albuquerque, Vegas is more convenient. It was absolutely insane and a fantastic game, disappointment in the loss aside.

There are some Caps fans in Burque planning a watch party, but I will be home watching on my sofa with my 11-month-old and an Ivy City/Tito's Vesper. That's what I drank for Game 6 of the ECF, and look how that turned out!

• Like 1

Nice.  I'll be at the viewing party downtown at the stadium tonight.  It should be madness and then some.  Since there are no assigned seats for the viewing party inside it should be insane.  Hoping to grab some Chinese takeout and take in to the arena tonight.

LETS GO CAPS

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkS said:

Nice.  I'll be at the viewing party downtown at the stadium tonight.  It should be madness and then some.  Since there are no assigned seats for the viewing party inside it should be insane.  Hoping to grab some Chinese takeout and take in to the arena tonight.

LETS GO CAPS

Rockin the Red all Day at the Professional Bartending School. 

Meanwhile I spoke with two grads who bartend in ChinaTown.  They and their bar restaurants were crazy busy both nights last week.   I spoke with an Arlington bartender who went down to ChinaTown both nights.  Every bar/restaurant he went by had people in lines out the door.

The Caps are great for ChinaTown, DC

#ALLCAPS

Rockin the Red at The Professional Bartending School in Arlington.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkS said:

LETS GO CAPS

Good luck getting in to get a seat! LETS GO CAPS!!!!!  And any recommendations for a bar/restaurant to "be in on the fun" but not get clobbered, kind of near the Verizon Center/metro accessible?

4-3

---

ETA - I'm writing this with 6 minutes to go, a few minutes after the Caps scored their 4th goal - it seems like they've shifted to playing "not to lose," sending the puck down the rink, and trying to kill the clock - they've done this three times in a row now. My instinct (which might be wrong) is that they need to keep pressing, and playing to win, because there's too much time left on the clock.

• Thanks 1

I see what you're saying about to keep pressing, but the Knights had pulled their goalie.  With an extra shooter on the ice, the Caps had to play those last few minutes as an extended penalty kill, which was aided in part by Vegas not having a well-oiled 6-man offense.  They practice power plays, but they aren't used to looking for that 6th player, only for outnumbering the opposition 5 on 4.    Plus if the Caps were able to sink one in the empty net, bonus!  And with the clock not functioning, they really didn't know how much time they had to kill.  But they killed it!  

Vegas made it difficult.  They out-hit us 39 -27 to keep us off the puck and had 22 take-aways v. our 10 -- but hurt themselves with 15 give-aways v. our 6, plus many more penalties.  We didn't capitalize on the power play very well, but it kept the momentum from building.  Mostly, though, the Capitals kept playing their game:  slow it down, pinch between the blue lines, check the puck and not the player, all five back on defense, and keep moving north.   

Scoring from all four lines last night:  Vrana, Ovi, DSP and Eller.  Best goal of the night, I think, was Devante Smith-Pelly.  The clutchest of clutch goals to re-tie the game in the 3rd:  

• Like 4

Mamma Lucia's is getting some media love on NewsChannel8 for Ovechkin's extremely regular order, delivered to him at 10:30 a.m. at Kettler after practice:  Chicken Parm, plain spaghetti, 4 sauces (Alfredo, marinara, meat sauce, and Marsala), plus bread.  Apparently his favorite sauce is the Marsala because it soaks up the bread.

Edit:  As for the game, Smith-Pelly's goal is one for the ages.  Beautiful.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 7:11 AM, weezy said:

I see what you're saying about to keep pressing, but the Knights had pulled their goalie.  With an extra shooter on the ice, the Caps had to play those last few minutes as an extended penalty kill, which was aided in part by Vegas not having a well-oiled 6-man offense.  They practice power plays, but they aren't used to looking for that 6th player, only for outnumbering the opposition 5 on 4.    Plus if the Caps were able to sink one in the empty net, bonus!  And with the clock not functioning, they really didn't know how much time they had to kill.  But they killed it!  

weezy, once the Knights pulled their goalie, it all made sense, but the Caps started killing the clock *immediately* after their 4th goal, which - I *think* - was several minutes before the Knights pulled their goalie (when I wrote what I wrote above, they hadn't yet pulled their goalie ... I don't think). Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd love for someone to re-watch the final eight minutes of the game with this in mind.

Not to piss on the party - man, it has been a long time since I've seen DC this happy. It has also been a long time since I've watched a sporting event that stressed me out this much (Clemson's national championship win, actually, in Jan, 2017).

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 8:52 AM, DonRocks said:

weezy, once the Knights pulled their goalie, it all made sense, but the Caps started killing the clock *immediately* after their 4th goal, which - I *think* - was several minutes before the Knights pulled their goalie (when I wrote what I wrote above, they hadn't yet pulled their goalie ... I don't think). Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd love for someone to re-watch the final eight minutes of the game with this in mind.

Not to piss on the party - man, it has been a long time since I've seen DC this happy. It has also been a long time since I've watched a sporting event that stressed me out this much (Clemson's national championship win, actually, in Jan, 2017).

Fleury was pulled with around 2 minutes left (I believe it was 2:04), and the Caps missed the open goal twice.  The fourth goal was scored with 7:37 left. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lovehockey said:

Fleury was pulled with around 2 minutes left (I believe it was 2:04), and the Caps missed the open goal twice.  The fourth goal was scored with 7:37 left. 

I thought Ovechkin was going to have a heart attack when they missed the open goal the second time. 

And when the clock stopped with 1:00 left? What's up with that? That was the longest couple of minutes of my life.

• Like 2

Just now, DonRocks said:

I thought Ovechkin was going to have a heart attack when they missed the open goal the second time. 

And when the clock stopped with 1:00 left? What's up with that? That was the longest couple of minutes of my life.

That was a clock malfunction in Vegas.  There is an official timekeeper so the problem of how much time was left was solved pretty fast.

• Like 1

Ho. Ly. Crap.  I thought my heart was going to stop when the clock went blank in the last 90 seconds ("This is how the curse continues.  They lose on a couple of goals scored in the vortex of space time.")

Our whole family and some friends went down early to soak up the atmosphere and ended up down at the Navy Memorial to watch the first period before rushing home with the little ones to catch the rest.  DC sports fandom at its best (suck it, Wilbon).  Lines around the block for every bar and restaurant for blocks and blocks around.  There was a line down the block to get into the closest liquor store at 6th/E; some enterprising young gentleman emerged with a case of Miller Lite and pockets full of pints of Fireball and immediately started selling singles for a profit 😂

Can't wait for the parade!

• Like 2

I was at the viewing party last night inside courtesy of my 28 year old son who thought his old parents needed to stay away from the mob.  It was amazing.  As loud as game 4 and everyone was all in, no Vegas fans at this event.  Place was electric and passion was oozing from all of us.  It will take the whole day to recover.

Streets outside were mobbed with fans.  Police and fire departments seemed to be doing a good job while not getting in the way of anyone.  Getting back home to Annapolis took a long time.

The boys earned it. Every player contributed with passion, grit and determination.  They never stopped believing they were the better team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Not to piss on the party - man, it has been a long time since I've seen DC this happy. It has also been a long time since I've watched a sporting event that stressed me out this much (Clemson's national championship win, actually, in Jan, 2017). Remember this. :-)

See, I didn't see them killing the clock that early.  I saw Vegas in a desperate, all-out push mode and the Caps defending vigorously.  It's hard to generate good offense against that sort of push when chances of a turnover are high risk, so you have to play smart even if it means fewer offensive chances.  It's less about protecting the lead and more about not making stupid defensive moves that the other team can capitalize on.

• Like 3

Belated congrats to the Caps.   Wonderful series.  Tough wins.  This year ‘s Caps are tough guy winners.   All hockey players imho are tough guys.  This year’s Caps seemed to be impervious  to bad breaks.  They didn’t get down in the playoffs and kept up playing tough.

I watched more hockey in a short time than I’ve ever watched before.  Long ago I appreciated hockey when as a young guy I saw professional hockey and basketball from far away in nose bleed seats at Madison Sq.  Garden.  Hockey was better to watch from that far away.  But I preferred, knew and played BBall so I haven’t followed hockey.   

Games are excruciating with so many goals coming on surprise opportunistic shots.  It is nerve racking for a player or a fan.  I find it exhausting.

On 6/10/2018 at 11:20 AM, Pool Boy said:

Super great article in the post today spanning the end of last season to present.

I agree.  Terrific review.   Certainly for one such as myself who didn’t follow the team closely.

Lastly I read that over the last decade The Caps have had the cumulative Best regular season record of all teams— with NO Stanley Cups, while the two teams with the closest 10 year record including Pittsburgh  each had 3.

Damn.  I didn’t know that.  It magnified the long term frustration of players coaches owner and ardent fans.

Wahoo!!!   Big victory.   Time to celebrate.   

---

Washington Nationals (TedE)

I love Coach Trotz and am sorry to see him go, but the Caps didn't want to pay what it would cost to keep him.  He'll be raking in the bucks wherever he lands -- which is likely to be the Islanders, so we'll get to see plenty of him in upcoming seasons.  Todd Reirdon is the heir apparent to the HC job and he's done a stellar job with the defense corps here, so hope that good effect translates to the forward lines as well.  What I'm worried about is that Lane Lambert (PK & PP units) and the goalie coaching (Mitch Korn's replacement) will follow Trotz when he leaves.  I have no idea what sort of depth we have in coaching in those areas.

3 hours ago, weezy said:

I love Coach Trotz and am sorry to see him go, but the Caps didn't want to pay what it would cost to keep him.  He'll be raking in the bucks wherever he lands -- which is likely to be the Islanders, so we'll get to see plenty of him in upcoming seasons.  Todd Reirdon is the heir apparent to the HC job and he's done a stellar job with the defense corps here, so hope that good effect translates to the forward lines as well.  What I'm worried about is that Lane Lambert (PK & PP units) and the goalie coaching (Mitch Korn's replacement) will follow Trotz when he leaves.  I have no idea what sort of depth we have in coaching in those areas.

Such a sudden surprise exit.   Various news reports detail that Coach Trotz was at the end of a 4 year contract, he was almost fired mid season, the contract gave him bonus $$ for the championship plus also locked in a 2 year extension for winning, but at a level significantly below what the highest paid coaches are currently getting.

It is the business of sports.   Sad--especially with this thrilling victory.

I have to add something as a long term serial Non-Watcher.  I saw more hockey during these playoffs than I have possibly ever seen...certainly far more in a relatively short period of time.  Now I'm catching the Soccer World Cup.  I used to compete in Soccer, at a fairly high level, albeit so long ago, and domestically when US skill levels were a fraction of where they are now.   But unlike hockey it gives me a better appreciation of skill and strategy than hockey.   I really haven't watched much soccer in decades though, and went from a somewhat frequent attendee at games to virtually none recently.

Regardless, now watching these two sports somewhat freshly, new, and one right after the other---Wow.  I am enthralled with hockey.  Its remarkably fast, crazy frantic, a mixture of set plays and strategy with endless needs to improvise, and boy they hit.  And I don't appreciate the sport from a playing background.   And boy they hit.   Shifts are the testimony to how hard they play.

More on Shifts

Watching all this reminds me of something from my earliest days from soccer.  Out on the wing, we might be on offense, I'm cruising up a sideline, the ball on the opposite side of the field and suddenly the defense takes the ball and booms it downfield.  We all sprint in the opposite direction.  Then we intercept it, blast it downfield, and we turn and sprint in the other direction.  Then it occurs again and we sprint back...and then again.

Freaking interval wind sprints.  Really miserable.  Finally someone kicks cross field and we on the opposite side are sprinting with somewhat heavy legs to the ball.   Those are the times you would love shifts where teammates with fresh legs could help.

The fact that hockey requires shifts all the time is simple testimony to how hard they play and skate all the time.  Its impressive.

I'll be following the Caps next season.  Rockin the Red!!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaveO said:

Regardless, now watching these two sports somewhat freshly, new, and one right after the other---Wow.  I am enthralled with hockey.  Its remarkably fast, crazy frantic, a mixture of set plays and strategy with endless needs to improvise, and boy they hit.  And I don't appreciate the sport from a playing background.   And boy they hit.   Shifts are the testimony to how hard they play. .....

I'll be following the Caps next season.  Rockin the Red!!!!

Glad to have another fan along for the thrill ride!  It's going to be another interesting season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Thomas Boswell has a good blurb about Coach Trotz in today's chat.

I saw that a little earlier.  I don't know how much I agree with his assessment, but my opinion wouldn't change the outcome.  I think the 5-year/$5M  ask was definitely stretching it, but it could have been done with the knowledge that Trotz wouldn't get it from the Caps and signaling what someone else needs to bring to the table to sign him up.  There's a lot of coaching turnover in the NHL with only one having a 9-year tenure at this time.

Some folks think he had his mind made up even before the Cup win.  We know he wanted an extension last summer and didn't get one.  You can't discount bad feelings about that if he thought it meant "A Cup or else!" after so much (Cup-less) success. Boz may have had it right and the Caps could have come hat in hand with an offer that nullified the extension in favor of something that would wipe the slate clean.  I'm sure we'll never know.  If he doesn't go to the Islanders he could also look for a position with the Seattle expansion in 2020, maybe with an ownership component.

4 hours ago, TedE said:

Some folks think he had his mind made up even before the Cup win.  We know he wanted an extension last summer and didn't get one.  You can't discount bad feelings about that if he thought it meant "A Cup or else!" after so much (Cup-less) success. Boz may have had it right and the Caps could have come hat in hand with an offer that nullified the extension in favor of something that would wipe the slate clean.  I'm sure we'll never know.  If he doesn't go to the Islanders he could also look for a position with the Seattle expansion in 2020, maybe with an ownership component.

Or if he doesn't get a new job before the start of next season, he could pick up a mid-season job (perhaps early in the season if a team is really doing bad).

An ownership possibility seems remote unless it's in the tenths-of-a-percent range.  Teams are owned by groups of billionaires or hundred-millionaires.  It's very unlikely Trotz has the amount of money in his pocket to get into the office side as anything other than a paid employee. 

There was a photo of him on Twitter yesterday deplaning in Seattle, FWIW.

It's official -- Trotz to the Islanders, 5 years ~$20M contract.  It's likely Lambert & Korn will go with him, and scuttlebutt is that that's where Grubauer will land, too, when he's traded soon.

• Sad 1

This is all the business side of the game. It sucks when you lose coaches and players and supporting staff you know and like (and can deliver). But no matter what position you are talking about, with the ephemeral nature of how the hockey winds blow - one day you are in, the next you might be out (benched, traded, demoted to minor leagues, bought out, whatever).  You have to do what you can to secure your $$$ when you can. Trotz is striking while the iron is hot and I cannot blame him. I will miss him being the Caps coach though, that is for sure.

• Like 2

Management is purportedly looking into bringing Orpik back at a much reduced rate now that his contract has been purchased and they would be negotiating from scratch.  With the cap limit increase and after signing Carlson, there's about $13.5M of room left for negotiation, so Kempny and Wilson are top on the list to keep.  There's been some contact with Beags' agents from other teams; haven't heard if DSP is being courted yet.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:23 PM, weezy said:

Management is purportedly looking into bringing Orpik back at a much reduced rate now that his contract has been purchased and they would be negotiating from scratch.

And he's back for 1 year/$1 million plus some room for bonuses.  Traded to a team that bought out his contract, then re-signed for about an 80% savings on said original contract.  Sports contract economics are f'ing weird, man.

14 hours ago, TedE said:

And he's back for 1 year/$1 million plus some room for bonuses.  Traded to a team that bought out his contract, then re-signed for about an 80% savings on said original contract.  Sports contract economics are f'ing weird, man.

And Brooksy ended up with an extra  $1.5M (if bonuses kick in) to stay playing on the same team.  win-win!

On 6/18/2018 at 10:04 PM, Pool Boy said:

And the Caps GM is an idiot.

I would say GMBM is likely going to be in the running for GM of the year after this offseason.  Took a team with a cap that could have been an absolute mess - and instead only the loss the current Stanley cup champions have to deal with is that of a 4th line center (I love Beagle and I’m thrilled he got paid...I’m just glad it wasn’t by us). 

Our cap is in a wildly better place and I think we struck a balance of giving some space to test out some of our up and coming prospects while keeping our foundation in tact.  I am already looking forward to next season.

• Like 1