NolaCaine

I just posted my review of SER and this minor point will not influence my decision to return but thought I'd open it up for discussion.

Our server, when I asked about the veggie stew he told me that it was vegan.  He then asked if I was vegan and before I answered said "if you are not, you should be."

Isn't that odd?

I gotta admit that it turned me off and 24 hours later, I'm still thinking about that. I mentioned it to neighbors and in-laws.  It was that off putting. Would you be put off?

• Like 2

If that was the only comment (one time), while it'd still bug me that they got preachy about their own thing, I do not think I'd let it bother me (that much). That said, if there was more than one comment, or the tone was in an especially annoying delivery, I may just order the meatiest meat-tastic dish with a side of foie, slathered in veal broth and other goodies. I mean I might have done that anyway, but it would at that point be....interesting. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't have walked out and it wouldn't have bothered me much after leaving (due to generally low expectations on foolish stuff like this)  but do think it really inappropriate, whatever the agenda behind that comment was. It would impact the tip I'd leave and I would have also let a manager know. That kind of mindset isn't good for the business imho.

• Like 1

you guys are funny. I"m over it already.  I'd go back and be fine with him as a server although he wasn't perfect, his comment didn't impact the tip. He was nice and overworked that day.  And yes, although not pretty, that stew might turn one to veggies. 

It's like saying "If you're not a member of ISIS, you should be." I would have walked out.

hmmm.....I wouldn't go that far...or even go near it.

On the other hand nice to hear that beyond that comment the server performed well.  Clearly an untactful inappropriate comment.  Hopefully the server changes that approach.

If that was the only comment (one time), while it'd still bug me that they got preachy about their own thing, I do not think I'd let it bother me (that much). That said, if there was more than one comment, or the tone was in an especially annoying delivery, I may just order the meatiest meat-tastic dish with a side of foie, slathered in veal broth and other goodies. I mean I might have done that anyway, but it would at that point be....interesting. 

Good idea.  I need to return there as my first visit during the opening week exposed some of the early "shake out and jitters problems".   Hey Spanish restaurants are great for carnivores!!!!!  :D