Bombay Bistro, Chain Bridge Road in Fairfax - Separate Ownership Than Rockville Location

I stopped in tonight for a takeout dinner, they have updated the place, nothing major though. They have new menus-- seems to be basically the same, they have added a few items, the prices might have risen a little. Food was greasier than usual. Waitstaff was doing a great job, the hostess was disorganized- I haven't seen her before, so hopefully she is new.

There was an ad for their other restaurants, including the new Indique Heights which is opening soon.

Overall, no major complaints, definately a bargain.

The Bombay Bistro in Fairfax has been under new ownership for awhile now. Ten years ago, this may have been the best Indian restaurant in the DC area, but how's it doing now?

A Plain Dosa ($7.25) was expensive, floppy, cold, and the only dish I've sent back in quite awhile; the second version was slightly crispier, but this is a Dosa best left for the curlews out back.

I was curious about the Chicken Chettinad ($15.95), a dish which is apparently one of Chef Vinod's specialties, and undoubtedly left over from his tenure. This was a good preparation that quickly eased the memory of the dosa, although the cumin-pepper balance meter was skewed towards the black-pepper side, making this the most peppery dish I've tasted since the imposing Sizzling Taurus at Four Rivers, but not in a bad way. A full-fat Raita ($2.95) tames this dish very nicely.

Both the Pudina Paratha ($2.50) and Roti ($1.95) were exemplary versions, providing counterexamples for those naysayers who claim we don't have good bread in DC (that would be me). Dal Makhani ($7.95) is cooked overnight, although they don't mention on which night. :lol: While this isn't my favorite rendition, it at least has a long-melted charater that does no harm.

Reviews are plastered all over the windows, and prices are a couple dollars too high, but Bombay Bistro Fairfax still pulled off a good meal, post-dosa.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The Bombay Bistro in Fairfax has been under new ownership for awhile now. Ten years ago, this may have been the best Indian restaurant in the DC area, but how's it doing now?

Plain Dosa ($7.25) was expensive, floppy, cold, and the only dish I've sent back in quite awhile; the second version was slightly crispier, but this is a Dosa best left for the curlews out back.

I was curious about the Chicken Chettinad ($15.95), a dish which is apparently one of Chef Vinod's specialties, and undoubtedly left over from his tenure. This was a good preparation that quickly eased the memory of the dosa, although the cumin-pepper balance meter was skewed towards the black-pepper side, making this the most peppery dish I've tasted since the imposing Sizzling Taurus at Four Rivers, but not in a bad way. A full-fat Raita ($2.95) tames this dish very nicely.

Both the Pudina Paratha ($2.50) and Roti ($1.95) were exemplary versions, providing counterexamples for those naysayers who claim we don't have good bread in DC (that would be me). Dal Makhani ($7.95) is cooked overnight, although they don't mention on which night. smile.gif While this isn't my favorite rendition, it at least has a long-melted charater that does no harm.

Reviews are plastered all over the windows, and prices are a couple dollars too high, but Bombay Bistro Fairfax still pulled off a good meal, post-dosa.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Well, now at least I know what happened to the place. I went there a few months ago and must have waited at least 15 minutes to be acknowledged to no avail... I can't say I will be stepping in again.