Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao, May 2, 2015 - The Largest Purse In Boxing History

DonRocks

I have to get this post in before the fight starts!

"Floyd Mayweather: By The Numbers" by Kurt Badenhausen on forbes.com

(Given that each fighter is going to be making *over $100 million*, it seems appropriate to put the Forbes link first.)

"Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Fight Night in Las Vegas" on latimes.com

"Evander Holyfield Speaks on Mayweather-Pacquiao and Why American Youth Boxing is Dying" by Nate Scott on ftwusatoday.com

I'm a sports fan.  I enjoy many of them and know a few pretty well.  And, many years ago before I learned more about all the issues surrounding the "sport" of boxing, even watched a few fights. When the sport went to a pay-per-view pricing model, that was it for me. Have never done a pay-per-view anything.

So, can honestly say this guy (from a paper I don't read) nails it.  And, pleased to say it never, even for a second crossed my mind to watch The Fight last night.  The Nats were on the winning side of a great pitching duel. No comparison for me.

Boxing's dying? Whatever. Good, I say.

I'm a sports fan.  I enjoy many of them and know a few pretty well.  And, many years ago before I learned more about all the issues surrounding the "sport" of boxing, even watched a few fights. When the sport went to a pay-per-view pricing model, that was it for me. Have never done a pay-per-view anything.

So, can honestly say this guy (from a paper I don't read) nails it.  And, pleased to say it never, even for a second crossed my mind to watch The Fight last night.  The Nats were on the winning side of a great pitching duel. No comparison for me.

Boxing's dying? Whatever. Good, I say.

I love boxing, but after doing some research into Floyd Mayweather, and especially after paying mental tribute to this fighter, I can now say I didn't realize just how far boxing had fallen. Floyd Mayweather is a twat, and the sport of boxing (which I consider one of the purest athletic art forms), is now handled almost like professional wrestling - I've learned that it's all just a big bunch of baloney.

Granted, when the mafia had control over it, and Sonny Liston was throwing bouts, it was a bunch of baloney, too, but the glory years of the 1970s (I guess from the second Ali-Liston fight (1965), which was thrown - until the Holmes-Cobb fight (1982), which was so brutal that it was hard to watch) - these were the tenderloin years of heavyweight boxing. You might have to include the early years of Mike Tyson in this as well - he was about as dangerous a boxer as anyone in history: It's amazing he didn't kill anybody. (NB - when Tyson was young, he was in a gang called "The Jolly Stompers.")

The first time I'd ever heard of Mayweather was when I saw him as #1 on the list of highest-paid athletes in the world - this was a few years ago, and I had to click on him to know who he was. The more I learn about him, the more I actively dislike him.