Congratulations to Spike Gjerde of Woodberry Kitchen - 2015 James Beard Award Winner for Best Chef - Mid-Atlantic

DonRocks

Neither Maryland nor Delaware has ever won the Mid-Atlantic category.

Until tonight. Congratulations to Spike Gjerde - in my opinion, this award is well-deserved. Ironically, I had some tomato sauce just last night that I bought at Parts & Labor fully 18 months ago.

Irony: Three years ago, people (including me) complained that Maricel Presilla got the NYC vote (Cucharamama is between the west exits of the Holland and Lincoln tunnels) - this year, I guarantee it was the absence of DC chefs on the ballot, and the DC judges' votes, that won the award for Spike Gjerde.

• Like 3

Very cool for Chef Gjerde and WK! Don, what's your take on the Furstenberg snub? The NYC winner there doesn't have as long a resume but maybe was seen as more innovative? Or, maybe just a function of how the judging does tend to be NY-centric, which you or someone wrote about recently here?

Very cool for Chef Gjerde and WK! Don, what's your take on the Furstenberg snub? The NYC winner there doesn't have as long a resume but maybe was seen as more innovative? Or, maybe just a function of how the judging does tend to be NY-centric, which you or someone wrote about recently here?

Mark got to the final 5 in the United States after not having had a bakery for ten years, and after having been open only one year - I see that as an honor; not a snub. However, the awards do tend to be skewed strongly towards New York City, as judges cannot (legally) vote for Mark unless they've had his product before.

• Like 1