DonRocks

I was at Total Wine, Annandale, last week, and there was a tasting stand set up near the entrance featuring six beers by Manassas Virginia's Heritage Brewing Company, a veteran-owned and operated brewery in Manassas that sometimes uses whiskey barrels from Catoctin Creek for their beers sold in bombers.

I tried a total of six beers, and was (by far) most impressed with their Scotch Ale (they also have a barrel-aged Scotch Ale that was pushing 9% ABV, and not to my taste).

I'd never heard of Heritage before last week, and theyŕe obviously proud to be veteran-owned and operated; the problem is that I really only liked one of the beers I tasted; the good news is that I liked it a *lot* - the "regular" Scotch Ale that's sold in six-packs; the barrel-aged Scotch Ale is sold in individual bombers, and was just too strong for me.

These are hoppy beers, and hop-heads will probably love them; as a balance freak, I was sold instantly by the regular Scotch Ale, which the gentleman at the tasting stand said was malty, but was really merely "not hopped to death."

Heritage is a brewery you'll be seeing in the future, so you should be aware of it now - I've never heard of anyone saying anything about it before. I wish this veteran-owned business the very best of luck (and I very much enjoyed the six-pack I purchased with the generous 10%-off coupons they were handing out) - I suspect this will be carried by Total Wine, Annandale, on an ongoing basis.

They seem to have a fairly loyal local following. A few of the bars in old town manassas have them on tap. I find most of their beers to be unbalanced as you said and just not pleasant to drink. I do however enjoy their Freedom Isn't Free IPA. I thought that one brought a nice complexity along with a hoppy finish.