Shanghai 66 Bao Kitchen - Owner Ivan Liang Brings His Concept to Westfield Montgomery's Dining Terrace

Is it actually going to be called "Shanghai 66 Innovative Kitchen?!"

I think you are right. Just shows how attentive I am!

The bigger question for me is--will they take credit cards? I guess time will tell.

Is it actually going to be called "Shanghai 66 Innovative Kitchen?!"

Apparently not - their website has it called "Shanghai 66 Bao Kitchen" (certainly a much better name). I don't know whether or not it's open, because this is the first website I can ever remember seeing without a phone number on it.

Does anyone know? The last news I see was about a pending open on Robert Dyer's blog in early July. Assuming this is in the food court, it should be open by now.

If you see their menu, you'll also see why I've changed the tags from "Chinese" and "Shanghainese" to "Pan-Asian." Golly, I can't wait to drive to Bethesda to have another quick-serve Pan-Asian meal, assembled in front of me from steam trays.

Open per Robert Dyer.

I haven't been yet, but someone whose opinion I trust stopped in over the weekend.

The gist of the review was "better than anything else in the food court, but not worth driving across town for."

I regret to inform everyone that the same food court has a stand called "Jamaican Mi Crazy."

Cheers,

Haywood Jablomi.

• Like 3

I had a bowl of the spicy ramen here a week ago.  It wasn't overly spicy, just right, the broth was nice and satisfying and the noodles good.  Nothing amazing, but quality for the food court.  Definitely worth another try.

When I was at Montgomery Mall yesterday aroound lunch time, I noticed it wasn't open.  It wasn't deserted (i.e. there were still veggies in the fridge and woks resting on the stove) so wondered if they were just taking an extra day or two off for the holidays, but the thought of permanent closure definitely crossed my mind.

I love Bob's Shanghai, and know Ivan well enough to chat with him whenever we're in. But this always felt ill-conceived, and in my half-dozen visits there, I was never wowed like I often am at the mothership.

I hope Ivan didn't lose his shirt on this, and that he tries again with a better concept.

2 hours ago, pras said:

You know ... call it a sixth sense, but I had a really *weird* feeling about marking this closed, and I don't know why because I didn't even open Robert's article - there was just something really strange about a mall restaurant closing so soon (I didn't even update the Dining Guide - that's how uneasy I was). :)

Yesterday, I walked by their "closed" location and was surprised to see them open. Johnny said their hood failed and they didn't open because the smoke would have spilled out into the mall. Too bad they didn't post explanatory signage and we assumed the worst.