Hong Kong Palace, Seven Corners Center - New Owners Go from Cantonese to Szechuan

19 hours ago, JimCo said:

Was there two weeks ago, and they were serving some of the best food I've ever had there. Whoever was manning the fryer was firing on all cylinders. The cumin fish was crisp and numbing. The fried chicken with stuffed sesame peppers (I never remember the name) was also excellently fried. 

I read somewhere recently that David Hagedorn didn't like this restaurant. 

My take on Hong Kong Palace is that it's not a good restaurant top-to-bottom; it merely has some good dishes (the cumin fish and fried chicken being two of them). That's why two different, credible diners can go, and come away with different impressions.

Went to HKP last night with some friends to talk and finalize some plans for an upcoming trip to China with them.  We had a nice meal of bok choy and mushrooms, which were very standard, but tasty.  Cold chengdu noodles (will need to learn the characters for this as I would eat this all the time in Chengdu), had a nice bite to the noodle and I liked the sauce.  Our friend makes this home at all the time, I will have to request her version when we go for dinner sometime, simple, but good.  Fish in pepper broth (I believe their new menu has things worded and sectioned differently than online), which had a nice, but certainly not overwhelming spice to it and was good paired with the bok choy.  Chicken with dried chili peppers was crispy and had nice spice and fried rice with shrimp and pork, which we probably didn't need, but it was a good fried rice with nice flavor to it.  It was a nice variety of foods, a nice amount of vegetable to meat ratio, which is always harder when it is just Hubby and I alone. Anyway, we have had a really nice run of eating out at nice restaurants, and eating out with friends this year so far, and this is one of their favorite places, so it was fun to go with them.

• Like 2

In appreciation for my favorite dish in this area. 

Their Chengdu Kung Pao Chicken continues to be the best version I’ve ever had. I stopped in for lunch today. They have a Kung Pao Chicken lunch special with rice and an egg roll. I asked if I could have the special with the Chengdu Kung Pao Chicken. They said no. I didn’t even care. The real “special” is the Chengdu version and this confirmed it.

I’m always here with groups and order multiple dishes, so it was great to just focus on one outstanding dish. Outside of the traditional chicken, peanuts, and peppers, they also include sliced ginger and garlic. These take it to the next level. I’m usually a stickler for using chopsticks, but I was wearing a tie so I used a fork for safety. This also made the dish better as I could get all the flavors at once rather than one at a time. These folks take my favorite Chinese dish and make it my favorite-ist. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thought it might give each other ideas based on where and what you're ordering for take-out or delivery.  

Put in an order for pick up Saturday evening from Hong Kong Palace (website). You can order online - I think these dishes would travel well:

A18: Chengdu Spicy Cold Noodles    $7.95    
P20: Cumin Ribs    $13.95    (never had this before)
V4: Ma Po Tofu    $11.95    
V16: Stir Fried Shanghai Green & Black Mushroom    $11.95    
C24: Chengdu Tea-Smoked Duck    $17.95    

On 3/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Put in an order for pick up Saturday evening from Hong Kong Palace (website).

Had a frustrating experiencing getting my food from HKP.  Due to the mild weather, they kept the doors open, which is great, I thought I could go in, pick up my food without touching anything.  Inside, they moved all the tables to the side and set up a pick-up table.  Unfortunately, my food wasn't ready on time so I had to wait, and a few others had to wait as well.  I waited outside, but the other people all stayed inside the restaurant, breathing each other's exhalation.  I suggested they wait outside, but all I saw were vacant stares.  Granted, they were all young and probably not overly concerned.  

Back up and running!  I went last night and got a big grin when I walked in the door to pick up my order ("I knew it was you!' - I am one of the non-chinese who orders specials off the chinese wall menu, thanks to the DR crowd, and gets mostly spicy food).

I picked up from Hong Kong Palace in Falls Church last night - they were closed for two weeks while they figured out how to operate.  The order: spicy wontons, meat panfried dumplings, Chendgdu spicy cold noodles, the chicken with stuffed peppers "special," and the homestyle bacon "special."  (Our usual order is all of that minus one of the dumpling/noodle dishes, so yes, we perpetually overorder because we love them so much.)  It was a joy to walk in there, a joy to be greeted warmly, and a joy to sear my taste buds, which I will do again shortly with the leftovers.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 12:34 PM, malokd said:

Can you describe the chicken with stuffed peppers dish?  What are the peppers stuffed with--sounds interesting

thx

Here's a description and a picture. It's a remarkable dish. I so need to get back to HKP.:

Jul 26, 2010 - "Hong Kong Palace" on contemplationrose.wordpress.com

and another paean to the dish: 

Jun 4, 2010 - "Spicy Szechuan Food at Hong Kong Palace in Falls Church" by Erin Hartigan on tastingtable.com

• Like 1