Firestone Walker Pivo Hoppy Pils - a 5.3% ABV German Pilsener from Firestone Walker Brewing Company, Paso Robles, CA

jrichstar

I love, love, love pilsners and kolsches in the heat of a DC summer.  And when it comes to pilsners, really like this beer, which has only become available this year in the DC area.  What puts it a cut above for me is a bit of a hoppy character driven by the use of German Saphir hops.  So refreshing and you can drink it with pretty much any food.  Pivo has a Beer Advocate score of 90 and is 3rd ranked for pilsners with 100 or more reviews (behind only Rothaus Pils from Germany and Victory Pils from PA).

The description from Firestone's website:

Everything we love about classic German Pilsner with a hoppy Bohemian twist.  Pils is a bright straw colored lager beer with playful carbonation topped with beautiful white foam lace.  Delicate lightly toasted malt flavors underscore noble German hop character. Hallertau-grown Magnum hops deliver the lupulin foundation while generous amounts of Spalter Select hops bring floral aromatic and spicy herbal notes. As a twist on the traditional Pils, we dry hop with German Saphir for a touch of bergamot zest and lemongrass. A refreshing, light-bodied and hop-driven Pils.

Never heard of "lupulin" before.  Looked it up.....it's the active ingredient in hops that helps to provide the aroma and flavor of beer.

I'd be remiss to not say that I'm a big fan of Firestone Walker.  Reviews of Double Jack and Stickee Monkee are on the VBT. Also think that Wookey Jack and Union Jack are excellent brews.  All of these beers have ratings of greater than 90 on BA.

Cheers!