Silver, an Upscale Brasserie-Diner Concept by Silver Diner on Woodmont Avenue - Bethesda

Interesting. I'm actually a big fan of Silver Diner. Having the carryout option for some at least partially locally sourced food here in Laurel is a plus and the food is always prepared well and tasty. But I'll be interested to see how they "upscale" some of the dishes to justify the price increases. The description of the bison huevos rancheros looks pretty identical to what they serve at my Silver Diner but they're charging $16 instead of $13.99 (one of my favorite dishes to order there by the way). In the same vein, the crabcakes with Old Bay fries are "market price" versus $16.99 at the diner and again the descriptions are identical. Maybe they're just counting on people not realizing and/or appreciating the more upscale interior, but it's a turn off to me.

• Like 1

I don't think I saw a listing for Silver- if I missed it- please merge.

Following the movie- The Big Short at Landmark Bethesda- my group looked for a place to eat. A sign in the lobby announced a free dessert or milkshake with our movie tickets at Silver- so with several sweets lovers among us and a drizzle of rain, we walked across the street to check it out.

This is an upscale version of the Silver Diner- from that group and I think they have really succeeded in that concept. With deco themed lamps and a nod to diner decor, it is a very pretty little restaurant. The food is mostly locally sourced- like the rockville pike older sibling. This means this time of year you will see a lot of mushrooms, kale and butternut squash on the menu.

I had a very good cheese burger with a nice bun and remoulade for $13. This included shoestring fries. Others in my group ordered the bison meatloaf, scallop entree and chicken pot pie. While the other entrees were good as well, the winner was absolutely the pot pie.

For the desserts- I had a respectable chocolate bread pudding. Others had apple pie and the peanut butter pretzel sundae. The winner was the sundae.

Friendly prices, I'd absolutely go here again, especially after a movie.

• Like 1

So I finally tried Silver today.  It was pretty decent.  There were 6 of us.  3 adults, 3 children.  My wife had the kale and roasted artichoke Cesar salad.  Me and the other adult had the burger which came with very crispy french fries.  It was cooked to temperature, served on a brioche bun with remoulade (sp?).  It was very tasty.  My wife enjoyed the Cesar salad.  The kids had grilled cheese, chicken fingers, and hamburger slider.  The kids meals had the option of fries, vegetables, or fruit.  The kids all enjoyed their meals, the fruit was the highlight for the side, which was very fresh (cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries, and grapes).

They did a nice build out of the space.  It has a vintage french brasserie feel (not that I have been to one, but it is what I imagine it would look like).  They have a well stocked bar with about 6 local beers on tap which all looked interesting.

Coffee was from Compass and was very good.

We will definitely be back.