O'Donnell's - A Family-Owned Market in Potomac Woods Plaza in Southwest Rockville

pras

Isn't that area considered Potomac?

I was in yesterday and the selections are pretty, expensive and pretty narrow at this point.

If you had any idea how long I pulled my hair out over this, you'd have too much sympathy to ask such a thing.

I'm reluctant to call this Potomac, but I still can't get a clear answer from Google maps - I tried, and tried, and tried.

Please understand, I spent my entire youth fairly close to this area - Potomac is not 3 miles from Randolph Road.

I mean, the developers and the buyers might want to *call* it Potomac, just like they call Derwood "North Potomac."

But I can't stomach it - I guess it depends which way you're coming from - it's 1 block from Wooton Parkway.

Falls Road? Potomac. Montrose Road? Rockville. Tower Oaks blurred the dividing lines of all this stuff.

If someone could come up with a Google Map that shows some clear borders, I'd be glad to use it as my basis.

• Like 1

:-)

I don't think there are clear borders--it is really driven by the postal zip codes.

The Harris Teeter has a Potomac zip code. So does the Brooklyn Deli in the same plaza.  Tower Oaks Lodge is a Rockville zip code.

Hell, White Flint was considered Kensington by the post office...

I agree that it all makes little sense...

• Like 1

It is in "Potomac" Woods Plaza; however, as you are approaching the right turn to go up the street to turn right into the plaza going north on Seven Locks Road, there is a big ole sign on the right that says "Welcome to Rockville."

Map of Rockville on Google.

Map of Potomac on Google.

Rockville is an incorporated city, so its boundaries are firm.  Potomac is not, so its boundaries can be a bit squishy.  Apparently, Potomac is a census-designated place.

:-)

I don't think there are clear borders--it is really driven by the postal zip codes.

The Harris Teeter has a Potomac zip code. So does the Brooklyn Deli in the same plaza.  Tower Oaks Lodge is a Rockville zip code.

Hell, White Flint was considered Kensington by the post office...

I agree that it all makes little sense...

Years ago we lived at the intersection of Georgia Avenue and Randolph Road. I remember that a relative got into an argument with a directory assistance operator (it was that long ago) because while the USPS considered ours a Wheaton address, The Phone Company listed us as being in Kensington. The latter no longer holds sway, but it reflects some of the confusion of identifying locations in that area.

Years ago we lived at the intersection of Georgia Avenue and Randolph Road. I remember that a relative got into an argument with a directory assistance operator (it was that long ago) because while the USPS considered ours a Wheaton address, The Phone Company listed us as being in Kensington. The latter no longer holds sway, but it reflects some of the confusion of identifying locations in that area.

That's Glenmont!

• Like 2

I mean, the developers and the buyers might want to *call* it Potomac, just like they call Derwood "North Potomac."

Wait, what?  Which developers/buyers are these?  I've always understood Derwood to be east of 355 and North Potomac to be west of Great Seneca.  There's several miles in between -- including 270, another major boundary of sorts -- which are either Gaithersburg (north of 370) or Rockville (south of 370).

When Trivial Pursuit first came out they thought Dulles was in Washington DC.  When my sister who was playing with friends from outside of DC and she answered "Chantilly" (which was the answer at that point in time), she was told she was wrong.

Zip code is 20854, which for most is 100% Potomac.

• Like 1

Wait, what?  Which developers/buyers are these?  I've always understood Derwood to be east of 355 and North Potomac to be west of Great Seneca.  There's several miles in between -- including 270, another major boundary of sorts -- which are either Gaithersburg (north of 370) or Rockville (south of 370). 

You obviously don't know an overly proud homeowner/realtor who lives there.

• Like 1

You obviously don't know an overly proud homeowner/realtor who lives there. 

Having grown up in Montgomery Village, I rode the bus through junior high and HS with friends who lived in Derwood (on our way across the county to Silver Spring and Takoma Park).  I know that North Potomac shares a zip code with Gaithersburg and Derwood shares a zip code with Rockville, but if now people are suggesting that North Potomac and Derwood are the same thing, then there may as well be no difference between Gaithersburg and Rockville!

This obviously isn't your view, but it would be akin to saying that Aspen Hill is North Bethesda.

• Like 1