Women's Voices Theater Festival - Oct 2 - Nov 22, 2015 in Theaters Across the DC Metro Area

Tweaked

Remiss in only just posting this now.

Women's Voice's Theater Festival

"To highlight the scope of new plays being written by women, and the range of professional theater being produced in the nation's capital, more than 50 of the Washington, D.C. region's professional theaters will join together to present the Women's Voices Theater Festival.  Led by the area's premiere theaters, including Arena Stage, Ford's Theatre, Shakespeare Theatre Company, Studio Theatre, Signature Theatre Company, Round House Theatre and Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company, these organizations will each present at least one world premiere of a play by a female playwright during the six week period between Labor Day and Halloween, along with special events, panels and workshops to celebrate and support the work of women theater-makers."

Many of the first round of plays are closing this weekend (Oct 2,3,4) or the following weekend (Oct. 9, 10, 11), but many more are also opening and running through November.  So plenty of opportunities to see some locally produced theater!

We saw Texts&Beheadings/ElizabethR (created and directed by Karin Coonrod) at the Folger Theater.  A four woman play based on text from the Folger's collection of letters written by Queen Elizabeth I to highlight key moments of her life.  Very well produced and enjoyable.  And we were able to get half price tickets...$15 per ticket for theater in DC!

My 15-year-old-daughter is the lead in one of the shows in the festival: the world premiere of RAW (Amy Bernstein, playwright) at Venus Theatre.

No discounts that I'm aware of, but tickets are only $20, it's a 30-seat woman-owned theatre in Laurel, and you can combine it with dinner at Pasta Plus.

:)

For every member who buys a ticket and goes to see Daniel's daughter, I will enter you into a raffle, and when the show is over, I will pay for one of the tickets (realistically, this will be in the form of a $20 check (plus whatever service charges you incur) being sent in the mail). Just post here that you bought the tickets and saw the show (or gave them as a gift, or whatever) - each ticket purchased gets its own entry in the raffle, so the more you buy, the higher the likelihood that one will be free.

Daniel, this applies to you also, but only for the tickets that you pay for - I don't know if you get a couple for free since you're the father of the diva.

---

Also, for our resident Bob Dylan fans, you should look seriously into attending "Lady Lay" by Lydia Stryk.

That's a very kind offer. I will be buying multiple tickets for family and friends, of course, but I will decline to enter the raffle.

For any that do come, I won't be at every performance, but definitely introduce yourself to my daughter after the show (she's the only teen in the show, so easy to identify) and mention DR. She knows many of you from picnics and such, but all artists love to meet their audiences!

That's a very kind offer. I will be buying multiple tickets for family and friends, of course, but I will decline to enter the raffle.

For any that do come, I won't be at every performance, but definitely introduce yourself to my daughter after the show (she's the only teen in the show, so easy to identify) and mention DR. She knows many of you from picnics and such, but all artists love to meet their audiences!

Please start a separate thread for the play (or I might - I may also move these last three posts to it).

Thought I'd bump this up to the top for anyone interested. My daughter's play is getting pretty great reviews.

Yes, I'm bragging about my kid. Sue me.

http://wapo.st/1LSpYgt
"A family melodrama emerges: ... a daughter [Rebecca Korn] with a get-rich-quick scheme involving the top-shelf donkey cheese known as pule (you can look it up). There's an intriguing voice here, and Deborah Randall's direction ... gives it force.

http://bsun.md/1LSpXcz

"...Eliza's teen daughter, Jamie, played with endearing charm by Rebecca Korn..."

http://bit.ly/1LSq47J
"Becca Korn takes on the role of spunky and naïve Jamie. Full of radiant and vibrantly blind optimism, Korn treads the line of ignorantly-hopefully pre-teen adolescent with an enthusiastic energy that makes her character's situation utterly fascinating ...Korn embraces the restraints of her character's limited knowledge and experience and plays them whole-heartedly and to great effect."

http://bit.ly/1LSqefp

"... [h]er young daughter Jamie, played with spunky optimism by Becca Korn...".

http://bit.ly/1LSq9s8
"Her endlessly inventive daughter Jamie (played with a wide-eyed enthusiasm by Rebecca Korn)..."