Where do y'all recommend for arepas? Especially interested in Arlington, close-in NoVa, and DC (ideally near a Metro stop). I had tasty ones a few times at Gua-rapo (Arlington) in the past, but atmospherically that place is just not my scene (in terms of music and hookahs). 

The last really delicious ones I had were from La Caraqueña, which is closed, and this post in that thread made me remember to ask for new places.

n 4/29/2017 at 11:59 AM, ScotteeM said:

Oh no!!! I was ready for my arepas fix today, only to see that the website was down, and Google Maps lists it as "permanently closed," and then this!

5 hours ago, Genevieve said:

Where do y'all recommend for arepas? Especially interested in Arlington, close-in NoVa, and DC (ideally near a Metro stop). I had tasty ones a few times at Gua-rapo (Arlington) in the past, but atmospherically that place is just not my scene (in terms of music and hookahs). 

Gua-rapo is closed 

If you are in Arlington during the day, a number of Arepa food trucks frequent the orange line corridor during lunch time in the week.  Not sure what other restaurants have them, but would be interested in any responses too.

Pupusas are rather easy to find but not exactly the same as arepas. Other than the Colombian restaurant in Gaithersburg, I have not found arepas in a restaurant locally, but would love to know of some. There are two Venezuelan food trucks - Arepa Zone and Arepa Crew. I have had Arepa Zone's and those are fine. I would guess there are many smaller/ not necessarily named local food trucks that at least offer pupusas. But nothing comes near the arepas de choclo from roadside stands high in the Andes near Medellin. 

11 minutes ago, lizzie said:

But nothing comes near the arepas de choclo from roadside stands high in the Andes near Medellin. 

Did you have them at La Caraqueña? Because I suspect their chef, in a kitchen, could out-arepa a roadside stand in the Andes (I've had them several times, and don't see how it would have been possible to make them any better).

I'm all for Havasupai (*) - or more in my experience, Navajo - Fry Bread at roadside stands near the Grand Canyon, but all they're doing is frying homemade dough in a portable electric skillet - it's *great*, but it's nothing more than I described.

(*) And, if anyone cares, London Bridge is at Lake Havasu.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 9:24 PM, beachgirl54 said:

Please dish - what is this place and where is it? Always looking to try something different at work instead of our yucky cafeteria.

It is on Main St - I think it is Colombian Breeze. I have never been there - but arepas are on the menu. I think one of the biggest differences is the cheese used in the arepas. And I I often ate at La Caraquena. It was so good and will be missed. And I like the Royal - I have been there several times. 

On 5/6/2017 at 1:16 PM, lizzie said:

It is on Main St - I think it is Colombian Breeze. I have never been there - but arepas are on the menu. I think one of the biggest differences is the cheese used in the arepas. And I I often ate at La Caraquena. It was so good and will be missed. And I like the Royal - I have been there several times. 

Colombian Breeze

• Like 1

Limited experience (2-3 times) & a bit out of the way - Arepas Capitol in Woodbridge.  My friend & I had lunch there, got there at opening & were the only folks in the restaurant & the food was great- got an arepa reina pepiada & an empanada pabellon - both were amazing, but alas, my friend has moved away.

• Like 1