Momofuku CCDC (2015-2020), a Popular New York Pan-Asian Chain in City Center, Open for Lunch and Dinner Seven Days

Has anyone ever tried the Fried Chicken Meal here?  From the website:

The Fried Chicken Meal includes two whole fried chickens, one southern style and one Korean style, and it comes with moo shu pancakes, a bounty bowl, ginger scallion sauce, hoisin sauce, and jalapeño garlic sauces. Guests are encouraged to eat as they please, from making wraps with the pancakes to eating the chicken straight-up. The southern style chicken is fried with a buttermilk and old bay batter. The Korean style chicken is triple fried and served with a light spicy glaze.

$135 for your entire party, not including other food and drinks ordered, tax and tip.

Somehow, the idea came up to take my daughter here for her birthday and I'm wondering if it's worth it or even anything special.

20 hours ago, Bart said:

Has anyone ever tried the Fried Chicken Meal here?  From the website:

The Fried Chicken Meal includes two whole fried chickens, one southern style and one Korean style, and it comes with moo shu pancakes, a bounty bowl, ginger scallion sauce, hoisin sauce, and jalapeño garlic sauces. Guests are encouraged to eat as they please, from making wraps with the pancakes to eating the chicken straight-up. The southern style chicken is fried with a buttermilk and old bay batter. The Korean style chicken is triple fried and served with a light spicy glaze.

$135 for your entire party, not including other food and drinks ordered, tax and tip.

Somehow, the idea came up to take my daughter here for her birthday and I'm wondering if it's worth it or even anything special.

$67 a chicken.  The mind reels.

Good God, take a moment from clutching your collective pearls and think about the Kinship roast chicken.  Everyone freaked out that it was $56 and many meltdowns ensued.  Then people actually tried the thing and the raves started rolling in.

I was simply asking if anyone tried it.

And Simul, it's been a couple weeks, don't you have a plane to catch to Bora Bora or some place?

• Like 3

1) I haven't stopped clutching my pearls about the $56 roast chicken. Clutched. Knuckles white. Pearls nearly broken. But, will try it one day.

2) Leaving for Italy Sunday night! Well, technically will get there Tuesday but want to stop in London for a day bc lady friend hasn't been to Europe and we have a day before meeting sis in Rome.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bart said:

Good God, take a moment from clutching your collective pearls and think about the Kinship roast chicken.  Everyone freaked out that it was $56 and many meltdowns ensued.  Then people actually tried the thing and the raves started rolling in.

And Simul, it's been a couple weeks, don't you have a plane to catch to Bora Bora or some place?

The Kinship chicken is very good--but not life-changing, and not worth $56.

17 hours ago, Bart said:

Well said. I've tried both the Momofuku chicken as well as the fried chicken at Ma Peche in NY (as well as the Kinship roast chicken), and both are among the finest fried chicken I have had anywhere - regardless of price.

17 hours ago, Marty L. said:

The Kinship chicken is very good--but not life-changing, and not worth $56.

That's like, your opinion, man. I suspect that the majority of Kinship/ Momofuku diners find the price palatable - can't speak with respect to life-changing as that obviously varies. The great thing about these restaurants is that if something about them makes one uncomfortable or uneasy, be it price, noise level, etc etc etc, one simply need not patronize the establishment. Nothing mind-reeling - it's simple, really.

16 hours ago, Gadarene said:

Sigh.

:)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Keithstg said:

Well said. I've tried both the Momofuku chicken as well as the fried chicken at Ma Peche in NY (as well as the Kinship roast chicken), and bothare among the finest fried chicken I have had anywhere - regardless of price.

That's like, your opinion, man. I suspect that the majority of Kinship/ Momofuku diners find the price palatable - can't speak with respect to life-changing as that obviously varies. The great thing about these restaurants is that if something about them makes one uncomfortable or uneasy, be it price, noise level, etc etc etc, one simply need not patronize the establishment. Nothing mind-reeling - it's simple, really.

:)

With all respect, Keithstg, of course it's only my opinion--that's the point of this website--and of course no one has to ever patronize any restaurant or order any dish.  Duh.  The purpose of my post--writing as someone who has great regard for both Eric Ziebold and David Chang, and who has had great meals at both places--is that to say that, IMHO, their chickens might be quite tasty, but that one's scarce food dollars are better spent elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

With all respect, Keithstg, of course it's only my opinion--that's the point of this website--and of course no one has to ever patronize any restaurant or order any dish.  Duh.  The purpose of my post--writing as someone who has great regard for both Eric Ziebold and David Chang, and who has had great meals at both places--is that to say that, IMHO, their chickens might be quite tasty, but that one's scarce food dollars are better spent elsewhere.

And one is free to spend said dollars elswhere, either clutched pearls in hand or with the pearls pawned to pay for chicken.

In an effort to pivot the conversation to something useful (and feel free to move this thread, Don) - both restaurants you mention have leased space in a major city, employ scores of people, and make an effort to serve quality product to an appreciative audience. Seems as though the perception of how this can be done is skewed and increasingly focused on price (as mentioned before) without regard to cost. How would you like to see a restaurant balance cost of goods with cost of cuisine to customer, and what are you as a consumer willing to sacrifice to meet a price point deemed acceptable?

11 minutes ago, Keithstg said:

And one is free to spend said dollars elswhere, either clutched pearls in hand or with the pearls pawned to pay for chicken.

In an effort to pivot the conversation to something useful (and feel free to move this thread, Don) - both restaurants you mention have leased space in a major city, employ scores of people, and make an effort to serve quality product to an appreciative audience. Seems as though the perception of how this can be done is skewed and increasingly focused on price (as mentioned before) without regard to cost. How would you like to see a restaurant balance cost of goods with cost of cuisine to customer, and what are you as a consumer willing to sacrifice to meet a price point deemed acceptable?

Keith:  I'll say it again:  It is not my purpose to indict Ziebold or Chang, both of whom I admire.  Or to accuse them of price-gauging.  For all I know, they're taking losses on their chickens -- perhaps each requires 17 hours of labor or something. I'm just saying to the readers of this blog that I think the dishes are not remotely worth the cost to the consumer--that there are great chickens elsewhere at a fraction of the price, and that one's 56 or 67 dollars can get you much better food at Kinship and Momofuku themselves.  Aren't such judgments the whole point of this community--to advise one another on where best to spend our restaurant dollars?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

Keith:  I'll say it again:  It is not my purpose to indict Ziebold or Chang, both of whom I admire.  Or to accuse them of price-gauging.  For all I know, they're taking losses on their chickens -- perhaps each requires 17 hours of labor or something. I'm just saying to the readers of this blog that I think the dishes are not remotely worth the cost to the consumer--that there are great chickens elsewhere at a fraction of the price, and that one's 56 or 67 dollars can get you much better food at Kinship and Momofuku themselves.  Aren't such judgments the whole point of this community--to advise one another on where best to spend our restaurant dollars?

Of course, so I'll simply say that no other great chickens were referenced at a fraction of the price, just that the mind reeled at the thought of >$50 chicken, and that no other options were offered at either restaurant which would yield better food for the same money.

Am honestly interested in everyone's perspective on the relationship between cost of goods to produce and cost to consumer, and what is most important on the consumer side of the equation.

49 minutes ago, Keithstg said:

That's like, your opinion, man. 

I "liked" your post partly because you had my back, but mostly for the Lebowski quote. 

Regarding the price of chicken in this town, back when the Kinship dust up was happening, I remember seeing a half chicken at a very meh place for 25 bucks. I can't remember the place and I didn't order it, but I guarantee that the 6 dollar savings vs Kinship wouldn't have been worth the difference in quality. 

Well, people will pay what they will pay for certain luxury items. Maybe there are people on this board that would easily pay for the fried chicken at Momofuku's, but would never pay $200 for Citizens of Humanity jeans or $20k for a Tag. I don't think it's ridiculous to have the conversation of perceived value, but there are many that feel you can't really bring price up when discussing nice things. People that feel that way probably have a large amount of disposable income compared to people that don't feel that way. My rich college friends never talked about the price of things that they ate or traveled to. I had to consider it, and still do.  

Interestingly, I think the rest of the menu at MFCCDC is a really good value and I like that place a lot. 

graph.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Marty L. said:

I'm just saying to the readers of this blog that I think the dishes are not remotely worth the cost to the consumer--that there are great chickens elsewhere at a fraction of the price, and that one's 56 or 67 dollars can get you much better food at Kinship and Momofuku themselves.  Aren't such judgments the whole point of this community--to advise one another on where best to spend our restaurant dollars?

I don't believe that is the purpose of DR.  I hope to find great food, regardless of cost.  As for whether something is worth the money, my conclusion only applies to myself.  I understand you don't think any chicken is worth that kind of money but to try to convince other people of that is a bit silly.

3 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I hope to find great food, regardless of cost.  

Hey, knock yourself out, Eric. Most of us don't have that luxury, and thus greatly appreciate when Don, and others, regularly advise us that one dish or restaurant is not worth the cost.

• Like 1

I'm just now reading this thread. 

Please keep in mind that the $56 chicken at Kinship - a four-pound, black-feather bird - comes stuffed with lemon and garlic panade, and is served with a large order of Pommes Risolées, Parker House Rolls, and the leg meat is mixed into a perfectly dressed salad after the entire chicken is presented to the table. That's $28 a person for a meal for two that is a normal-sized meal, and I think it might be the best chicken I've ever eaten - no, it's not "cheap" in absolute terms (not if you're going to compare it to a grease-laden, $15 Tyson chicken with bowling-alley fries and industrial mayonnaise at El Pollo Rico, for example (I'm also assuming you have good health insurance for your $70-thousand heart bypass surgery thirty years down the road)), but you're supporting responsible farming *and* getting good value for your money. The only controversy here is the sticker shock because it's priced for two people; if it was $28 for the same thing, people wouldn't even notice. 

Boy, you all are going to love my write-up of ad hoc.

This reminds me of an old computer-consultant joke: The president of a multi-billion company had a computer system that broke down, bringing his entire company to a halt. His maintenance team spent hours trying to figure out the problem to no avail. Desperate, he called in his lead contractor for emergency help. The contractor walked over to the computer, examined it, pushed a button, and things started working again. He presented his bill for $500 to the company president. 

"What?" the president shrieked. "$500 for pushing a button?!"

The consultant took hold of the bill, erased it, and then rewrote it:

"For pushing a button: $1. For knowing which button to push: $499."

El Pollo Rico will push your button for $15, seven days a week.

• Like 5

Don: thanks for pointing out the per portion size at Kinship.  Would also mention the same at Momofuku.  Though it's $67/chicken. who eats a whole chicken?  At costliest, 4 people eating a half a chicken each (a lot of food) is $34/per.  And you get pancakes and good sauces on the side.  The website mentions the meal is for 4-8 people so it may even be less per person.   These prices seem like reasonable DC prices given the quality and source.

• Like 2

Another point of comparison and perhaps the gold standard is the roast chicken with bread salad at Zuni Cafe in San Francisco, $58. One of the best meals I ever had, as well as the most filling. Of course, you can make a reasonable facsimile at home for much less, but I doubt many people have blinked at the price. (I thought the chicken at Kinship was very good, though not up to Zuni standards; the panade may add moisture, but not much flavor, and the bread salad at Zuni is much more substantive than the comparatively meager portion of salad at Kinship. Great potatoes and rolls, though.)

• Like 2

IMG_2927-1-400x282.jpg

Went a couple of weeks ago for Bo Ssäm. Here's a photo of the terrific pull-apart pork shoulder that you wrap in either pancakes or lettuce leaves with various herbs/sauces. Also came with a plate of a dozen oysters, for some reason. Somewhat pricey at $225 but this thing can easily serve 8, so if you have a big group it's not that bad. Plus it's a great communal experience.

For those who follow my blog, this made my list of The Best Things I Ate in 2016. Here's the link: https://rickeatsdc.com/the-best-things-i-ate-in-2016/

I'd have to say that in the several times I inexplicably decided to go and return here, sometimes with out of town friends but usually due to some indescribable and undeniable enthrallment, I haven't had a single memorable meal. The beef noodle soup and ramen are particularly disappointing, the former being a watery, unappealing mess featuring a bizarre combination of disharmonious flavors and the latter usually oversalted and overcooked to the point where noodles verge on instantaneous disintegration upon gentle contact with chopsticks. 

That being said, the next time I find myself at momofuku CCDC perhaps I will try this fried chicken meal. 

1 hour ago, Bart said:

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

We took our daughter here with a group of friends here for her 17th birthday and got the fried chicken meal.  It was good but not really special.  Actually, it was just ok and slightly weird.  They bring out two fired chickens, cut up into pieces.....legs, wings, breasts, etc. and they also bring out a stack of pancakes (wraps) and some greens (lettuce type stuff) and three different sauces.  You were supposed to combine the chicken and lettuce and sauce on a pancake and then roll it up and eat it.  The weirdness came from trying to assemble the roll.  It was a little awkward and messy in trying to get the chicken meat off the bone and into the wrap.  (picture sitting at a table and trying to cut the meat off a leg of chicken).  We ended up just eating the chicken by hand as you would with KFC and ignoring the rest of it.

We also ordered a bunch of buns and another dish or two which were much better received and enjoyed than the chicken.

This is basically Peking Duck (or Mu Shu Chicken). I cannot believe they're serving this with the chicken meat on-bone. They should call the pancakes PITA because that's exactly what eating this dish sounds like.

Are they really charging $135 for *two chickens*, and serving it like this?!

For the love of God, they are.

Screenshot 2016-12-17 at 11.24.23.png <--- Do you see this picture? This is $135 ... not $13.50, but $135.00.

But you do get a bowl of steamed rice.

And what's this bullshit about "canceling reservations?" Is Bon Chon Chicken going to start charging me unless I cancel 24-hours in advance also?

This city emerging from the 2008 recession reminds me of Season 1, Episode 1 of "The Walking Dead," when Rick Grimes awoke in the hospital.

I'll say one thing for David Chang: He isn't stupid. He might not have your best interest in mind, but he most certainly isn't stupid.

Did Chang popularize Brussels sprouts?  I think I read in GQ that he did.  Anyway, I've been making Brussel sprouts at home for a long time based on his recipe.

The current version served at CCDC costs $12, comes fried with a Vietnamese fish sauce vinaigrette, cilantro, mint and some heat (not mentioned on the menu).  At $12, they give you enough to scrub your colon and intestines many times over, which I happily did until my mushroom noodles showed up.  That too was vegetarian and very tasty (comes dry, no broth).  I pigged out but I didn't feel like a glutton afterwards.

• Like 2

Had a grossly overpriced dinner here a few nights ago.  We got two dishes of cold noodles: one with veggies and a ginger scallion sauce that was quite nice, one with some asian chiles that had way too much cumin and wasn't spicy enough.  Each of those were $15+, which was expensive, but not offensively so.  The biggest offender was the "dry-spice chicken", which consisted of about eight pieces of breadless fried chicken (seemed to be not even premium pieces of chicken) with some boring spices on it for...wait for it..$26!  We figured it would be at least a half chicken at that price.  Without a drink (just water), sharing three dishes, the two of us each paid almost $40 with tax and tip.  Absurd.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, funkyfood said:

Each of those were $15+, which was expensive, but not offensively so.  The biggest offender was the "dry-spice chicken", which consisted of about eight pieces of breadless fried chicken (seemed to be not even premium pieces of chicken) with some boring spices on it for...wait for it..$26!  We figured it would be at least a half chicken at that price.

Doesn't 8 pieces generally constitute a full chicken? Unless you're just talking about unidentifiable chunks.

So, did the chicken thing.  The chicken itself was good bordering on very good, and plenty of food.  The pancakes and garnishes were nonsense.  Some found the sauce on the korean style a bit too sweet and 5/7 preferred the Maryland style.  Was it worth 135?  I don't know.  Maybe. I was full and happy for <100 including a cocktail and some wine, which seems a relative bargain in DC.  But the bowl with 4 whole carrots, some lettuce, radishes, basil and mint leaves was basically untouched and I have no idea wtf we were supposed to do with it.

I think the worst thing that I saw was 12 bucks for fernet.  I don't know what the DC wholesale price is but that has to be 800% markup unless they are pouring you a soup bowl of it.

• Like 1

Weekday dinner here the other night. We hadn't been since just after they first opened. A lot has changed. First, no ramen. Second, pretty pricey. In general all the dishes we had were good, but nothing wowed us and nothing was worth the price tag. We were a little surprised by the menu, when I think of Momofuku and David Chang I don't think of Hangar steak with bernaise. Is this thrown on there for the tourists? 

We enjoyed our first visit long ago but now it just feels like it's regressed to the middle. I don't know what to make of it, but then I again I don't know what to make of most of CCDC. Who exactly is shopping at all those luxury stores? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, funkyfood said:

Wait, momofuku doesn't have ramen anymore? How did this not get noticed until now

They still have it for lunch and brunch, but the dinner menu is unrecognizable to me - it seems as much "Modern American" as "Pan-Asian."

I still remember *very* well the day I waited outside at Momofuku Noodle Bar, which had something like *10 seats* . I was told by a friend to arrive before they opened, or else I'd be waiting; I got there at 10:45, and at 10:50, I was standing out by myself in front of some locked up building in NY. By 11 AM, fifteen people were in line, I was led down to the end of the counter, and was treated to the first "real" bowl of ramen I'd ever had, along with a glass of (if I remember correctly) white Cotes du Rhone! Chang himself (or at least I think it was him) was cooking the eggs just-so ... it was an organic farm-egg, and was perfect. Momofuku Noodle Bar was the right restaurant at the right time; now, the entire company has become almost silly, and David Chang seems to be a parody of himself (although I guess he's always been like this), but hey good for him; bad for the consumer, since they'll never know what all the fuss was about - Momofuku Noodle Bar was the hottest thing in NYC for a short time, and it was a darned good bowl of ramen - revelatory for me: When Ippudo opened, I still remembered that it just wasn't the same as Momofuku.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

They still have it for lunch and brunch, but the dinner menu is unrecognizable to me - it seems as much "Modern American" as "Pan-Asian."

I still remember *very* well the day I waited outside at Momofuku Noodle Bar, which had something like *10 seats* . I was told by a friend to arrive before they opened, or else I'd be waiting; I got there at 10:45, and at 10:50, I was standing out by myself in front of some locked up building in NY. By 11 AM, fifteen people were in line, I was led down to the end of the counter, and was treated to the first "real" bowl of ramen I'd ever had, along with a glass of (if I remember correctly) white Cotes du Rhone! Chang himself (or at least I think it was him) was cooking the eggs just-so ... it was an organic farm-egg, and was perfect. Momofuku Noodle Bar was the right restaurant at the right time; now, the entire company has become almost silly, and David Chang seems to be a parody of himself (although I guess he's always been like this), but hey good for him; bad for the consumer, since they'll never know what all the fuss was about - Momofuku Noodle Bar was the hottest thing in NYC for a short time, and it was a darned good bowl of ramen - revelatory for me: When Ippudo opened, I still remembered that it just wasn't the same as Momofuku.

This is mostly right, Don.  But I wouldn't preclude the possibility that one or more Chang establishments could continue to be great--even revelatory--from time to time, depending on who he hires to run the kitchens.  I can't wait, for instance, to return to the Ssam Bar in light of this.

• Like 2

We tried the "bing."  In Chinese, a bing is a unleavened flat bread.  A scallion pancake is a type of bing.  The bing at Momofuku more resembled a pita or naan.  I love the laffa with hummus at Zahav.  Maybe Momofuku can steal the hummus recipe from Zahav for their bing because I didn't really care for the pimento cheese spread.

• Like 1

Momofuku CCDC  {04.21.2018}

Tae Strain's menu is insanely exciting and delicious! Can't wait to see what he creates next! 

• Malvasia Bianca Birichino Petulant Naturel, Monterey California 2015
  • Curried Red Beets, peanuts, puffed rice, pomelo
  • Burrata with rhubarb & pine nuts
  • Bing with Sunflower Hozon
  • Chickpea Tagine, fennel, garam masala, rice cakes
  • Whole Roasted Branzino Ssam, spicy ginger scallion, herbs, bibb lettuce
  • Olive Oil Cake, rhubarb, pistachio, marshmallow

_01.jpg

_02.jpg

_03.jpg

_04.jpg

_05.jpg

_06.jpg

_07.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2018 at 11:05 AM, dslee said:

Eater DC article:  Chef Tae Strain Isn’t Done Shaking Things Up at Momofuku CCDC

It will be truly exciting to see how the menu evolves throughout the seasons!

Momofuku CCDC is now added to my regular rotation of restaurants to dine!

OK - I've taken the bait and made a reservation.  Will provide thoughts after I dine.  Never tried the old format so can't offer any relative comparison.

On 5/16/2018 at 3:21 PM, zgast said:

OK - I've taken the bait and made a reservation.  Will provide thoughts after I dine.  Never tried the old format so can't offer any relative comparison.

Look forward to hearing about your meal!

When I am able, I will post about my insanely delicious dinner and beverage pairing last Saturday, May 12, 2018.  Below is what we ordered:

• NV Jansz Brut, Tasmania AU (glass)
  • Hamachi Crudo – yuzukosho, green apple, shiso
  • 2017 Arnot Roberts - Touriga Nacional Rosé, CA (bottle)
  • Middleneck Clam Toast – dill mayo, Sichuan sausage, oregano
  • Soy Marinated Steak Ssam – bibb lettuce, gochujang, beef fat & mushroom rice
  • Rare Wine Co. Baltimore Rainwater Madeira (glass)
  • Carrot Sticky Toffee Pudding – meyer lemon, whipped caramel, walnuts
  • Like 1

No pretty pictures for me - it was pretty slammed and crowded last night when we arrived for pre-theater dinner.  I probably should have known there was a Caps game then, as well.

Had three small plates and an entree for the two of us.  Started with the burrata bing, which was really delicious.  As long as you get the burrata right and add a few good accompaniments, you've got the dish, but they did all that well.  Next up were the two dumplings on the menu.  Shrimp dumplings were in a vinegar-based sauce and were pleasant. The beef and lamb dumplings were really, really good.  I could do two orders of those and call it a meal next time.  The only complaint I would have in the whole meal, though, involved the chopsticks.  Background - not from Asia or an Asian family that grew up using chopsticks.  That being said, I do know how to use them well.  The chopsticks here were of the circular variety more common in China (rather than squared off) and metal to boot.  You absolutely could not keep a slippery, sauced dumpling in these damn things.  After the third or fourth drop, I gave up and asked for a fork.

Entree was the branzino ssam.  The fish was a touch over-cooked, but presented gorgeously with the herby sauce right on top. You wrapped up the fish in lettuce along with some additional items to form a wrap.  Well-conceived and executed.  The dinner included a bottle of Ransom Albarino from Oregon, which was good and paired fairly well with our disparate food choices.  Also had a glass of the sparkling Riesling from Dr. Loosen, which I enjoyed as well.

Thanks for the recommendation - definitely enjoyed this iteration of Momofuku.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zgast said:

Thanks for the recommendation - definitely enjoyed this iteration of Momofuku.

Great to hear about your meal!

Metal, round chopsticks are indeed a challenge.  I don't believe in hard, fast rules with asian cuisine and prefer spoon and fork or eat with my hands.  It sounds crazy, but I use a spoon to eat dumplings so I can scoop the right amount of sauce, spice and garnish together with the dumpling.  Sometimes I just can't be bothered to switch to a fork or chopsticks and keep with a spoon throughout the meal.  Per Bad Saint, I'm officially a member of the clean plate club! 😉

• Like 2