Afghan Bistro, Family-Owned, Casual, Modern Afghan Cuisine on Alban Road in Springfield

I tried out this new Afghan restaurant for lunch today with a friend & had an excellent meal. Tucked in a small strip mall, near Bozzellis & a giant Puppy Palace (the Olde Towne Pet Resort), there were 2 tables seated when we arrived & it was full when we left, with several people coming in for takeout orders. My friend & I split an order of the spicy beef dumplings, mantu ($4.95) & we both ended up getting the chicken kebab ($9.95) which came with basmati, salate, avocado chutney (I thought it was more of a green yogurt sauce & delicious) & they very kindly subbed out the potatoes it came with, for eggplant. It was all delicious, great service, & I look forward to going back & trying some other dishes. It looked like quite a few people were going for the beef shank qabuli or the lamb shanks. It's an excellent choice for dining near Ft. Belvoir or the Newington area.

• Like 3

I've eaten at both Bozzellis & Jacalito, but this place is really off to a good start- it's small, but comfortable & nicely decorated, the gentleman who was handling everything at lunch (& it got busy pretty quickly) was very nice, explained all the specials to us, & managed to keep everyone happy (it was like watching an expert juggler, just a joy to see such good service). As a side note on Bozzellis, I go to the one on Ft. Belvoir, but the last 3 times I've gone, they've screwed up my order (& I get takeout, so I don't discover until I'm home), so I'm going on hiatus.

• Like 1

Grabbed carry-out from Afghan Bistro and it was definitely in the must-return-for-more category. The new place is family-owned (and it says so right on the front window!), and sources non-GMO products and natural organic ingredients. The owner pointed out to me that the colors and hues normally seen on the typical Afghan buffet are from food colorings, and those won't be invading his kitchen.

I ordered three dishes to try the fare with Lady KN -- the beef tenderloin kabobs, the boneless chicken thigh kabobs, and the lamb chops. All were served with rice, bread, sauces and a tender, flavorful roasted potato. The rice in two of the dishes was more of a brown basmati pilau with raisins and (or currants) and julienned carrots. Each dish was wonderful, even after the ride home and the lukewarm presentation. The beef tenderloin was as advertised, cooked medium rare and tender enough to cut with a plastic fork. The lamb chops were three to an order, tasty morsels that I ate like a popsicle, but perhaps a bit light on the portion size. The chicken thighs were flavorful and cooked nicely, but perhaps dried out a little from the ride home.

Afghan Bistro has been open two months, and unlike some Afghan places, it serves alcohol for diners eating in. The nice fellow at the register, a young cousin of the owner, was pointing out to me that the Christmas lights and candles are lit up in the evening to enhance the dining mood. They claim business has been doing well in the first few months, and even through a small catering event for one of the many local government offices nearby.

I will return and sample their menu -- the braised dishes looked incredible, and one semi-regular told me he had the braised beef shank about five times so far. Along with Bozzelli's and Jacalito, this little plaza now represents a casual dining destination on that little neck of Backlick that disappears into Alban before becoming Pohick a bit farther down....

• Like 1

Stopped by Afghan Bistro yesterday for lunch. I can vouch for the braised beef shanks; really rich and fork tender in a yogurt based sauce. Reminded me of beef stroganoff, albeit with no mushrooms and plenty of aromatics. The leek and onion dumpling app was also excellent; it was topped with a ground beef and lentil sauce that was really tasty. They even threw in a little baklava as a free dessert. Lunch prices were incredibly cheap for food this quality. Will definitely be back.

• Like 1

I'm going to add to my brief review above.

Food is great.

Location is small.  If you're going at at peak times, like Friday or Saturday at primetime, make a reservation.

Wine and beer lists are average and cocktails will be made with rail liquor.  On the other hand, they have them.

It's a family operation.  We were served by the dad and the kids. They very much want to keep you happy, although when it's busy they'll be overwhelmed.

I found out about Afghan Bistro back in June through a random email from OpenTable, which listed the place as one of their most booked and highly rated places.  I thought this cannot be right and started doing some research. Checked out yelp and saw that they an almost 5 star rating and again was like this cannot be true.  How many family members did they get to post on Yelp? lol

I then hit up my Afghani friend and asked him if had heard of the place and he said no. Convinced him to try it out with me, even though he said and I agree (until I had Afghan Bistro) that the best Afghani food is served in homes not at restaurants.  Went and it was amazing.  Have now gone 4 times, the last visit was for my mom's birthday.

If you read Ann Limpert's review of Afghan Bistro in Washingtonian Magazine she mentions a diner who loved the food so much that he started dancing in parking lot.  I tried attaching the entire video but due to size limits unable to do that.  the ten second video is now one second.

Bistro1.mov

22 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Tom Sietsema has given two stars to Afghan Bistro. 

This is noteworthy. Springfield has Monty's Steakhouse, maybe Osteria Marzano if we can borrow its "Kingstowne" locale, and now Afghan Bistro as three restaurants worthy of two stars.

Kudos to Tom for venturing into the 'burbs on occasion.

When I was there in July, Tim Carmen and his wife were eating dinner at Afghan Bistro.  I thought maybe he would do a column for the $20 Diner on Afghan Bistro.  Happy to see that Tom ventured out of DC to this place.

• Like 2

Afghan Bistro presented a delightful meal for our party on Friday 9.30.  The kabob were tender and cooked medium rare as ordered.  The vegetable combo entree included rice with carrots and raisins, sabzi, potatoes and pumpkin;  all were excellent as was the eggplant appetizer. Even the American style salads with chicken on top were very good. The house provided complementary chopped Afghan salad (tomatoes, onion etc.) and pickle.  Afghani Americans in our party loved the food.  Wine prices begin reasonably at $32 and the whole meal was extremely fairly priced.   On the east side of Alban Road (continuation of Backlick past Fairfax County Parkway) south of McDonald's.

Our family's new go-to spot.  Very popular and reservations for dinner are recommended.

Agree completely.  The Afghani members of our party raved about the food ... and yes they know how good home-cooked Afghan food can be.  

Another of the many factors to commend Afghani Bistro is that they serve halal meat (see my entry at that topic).

We'll be back for sure.

• Like 1

Sounds like all the cool kids are checking this place out, and it's sort of a tipping point, so I went there last night to see what the buzz was about. 5 stars with almost 250 reviews, that's probably more than just family members. 

It's a cool place, some interesting art on the walls. They have a full bar, but it isn't visible - there just isn't a lot of space for it right now - they have this bar-ish area that possibly can become on in a while. It was 720-730 on a Monday night, and quite busy. The service is remarkable, just really friendly and warm. You are never forgotten - everyone's eyes are always moving to see if anyone needs anything, and this is something that I find to be lacking at some ethnic/family run restaurants. It has the feel of Amoo's, sort of (I'll get back to that). We were seated in a corner, and right from the start we were taken great care of.

I got a Leffe Blonde and the physicist got Devil's Backbone IPA (bottles of both, no drafts). They brought out the bread that I guess Tom Sietsma just demolished in his review. Either 1) it has been updated 2) it really isn't that bad 3) I don't know bread at all. In any case, it was fine, sort of like a flat bread but a little more thickness to it. Another reminder of Amoo's - their bread used to be crap, and then they started making it in house. The sauces that came out with it, however, were dope. There is a spicy mango sauce, a red chili sauce, a cilantro/jalapeno sauce (I think), an avocado/yogurt sauce. The spicy sauces are spicy, like burn your mouth spicy. The avocado one is very tasty and cooling. Man, I just don't think the bread was that bad. 

For appetizers, got the roasted eggplant (you can get butternut squash in same prep, but server said eggplant was the better one) which is a hot dish. There is another eggplant dish that is a cold dish. Also got the aushak (leek and scallion dumplings topped with beef/lentils) with the beef on the side. Both were very good, wish I ate beef, b/c I think topping the dumplings would make it even better. I liked the eggplant a lot, reminded me of baingan bartha (Indian eggplant dish).

For mains, we got the lamb shank karahi with eggplant (pictured in above post). To die for. So tasty. Spiced well, but not spicy in terms of heat. Lamb falls off the bone. Wish there was more lamb. The sauce is just fan-freaking-tastic. It's recommended to be eaten with white basmati race, but I really wanted the qabuli (long grain seasoned rice with carrots and raisins). He thought it would clash to eat it together, but I just told him I wanted on the side, and would take his recommendation and eat it with the white rice. Good choice, Simul! That rice is freaking awesome. I could eat that alone for lunch and be very happy. We also got the chicken and eggplant, which they seemed to refer to as a karahi on the chalkboard. It was yogurt based, rich, maybe some sort of a nut base, a touch of sweetness. It was tasty, not as good as lamb, and I think we shouldn't have ordered both dishes - should have gotten a kabob instead. The white basmati is very good, it actually is basmati. 

Again, not fair to either to come back to the Amoo's comparison, but like that place did - this restaurant is showing off real Afghan cooking - not just kebabs and IndoPak dishes, just like how Amoo's wasn't strictly kebabs and rice. The plating is really well done, the appetizers and entrees are presented with flair, the service is absolutely top notch, and they are so darn proud of their family's work.

I predict that 1) it will get fantastically busy and difficult to get a table without waiting a long time or having a reservation (I overheard the son tell guests that weekends are going to be reservation only starting very soon) 2) the prices will go up substantially 3) and they will pull a Chef Seng and end up with a flashier DC location.

The bread is not that bad.

• Like 5

As someone who grew up and still lives in Springfield, I was sort of shocked that 1) Sietsma did a review of a strip restaurant on Alban RD, and 2) how come I have not been here before!

Here is all you really need to know. Just go and try it. The food is amazing. The service is friendly and warm. It's run by a family. As Tony Kornheiser would say, that's it... that's the list. 

Had the Chicken Luwaan (sp?) which was chicken served over basmati rice. The chicken was extremely tender, and the sauce it was accompanied with was outstanding.

afghanbistro.jpg

• Like 3

MrB and I made our first visit to Afghan Bistro for lunch today and as we left we were kicking ourselves for not having paid any attention to this place previously -- we live 15 minutes from here!  After seeing so much love for this place, I took the precaution of making a 12:30 reservation and that was a good idea -- when we arrived at 12:20 there were only 2 tables free, one of which was ours.  All tables stayed filled during our time there and there was a steady stream of people coming through the door.  The warmth and friendliness of the owner, Omar, and the rest of the staff made dining here a very pleasant experience.

The food was almost all heavenly.  I will say that I agree with Sietsema's description of the bread: "a cottony baguette, run over by a cement truck."  However, it's worth eating, simply as a vehicle to transport one of the four tasty sauces that are served with it.  We ate 3 of the 4 and each one was delicious and spicy.  The favorite was the light green sauce that resembled the cilantro sauce served at most Indian restaurants, but thicker and spicier.  As an appetizer we ordered the Hot Mazza Assortment and that was a great choice, as it allowed us to sample 4 of their appetizers.  It consisted of: Leek and Scallion Dumplings: this dish was ethereal.  The dumpling itself was so delicate and it was topped with a beef and lentil korma and dressed with a mint and yogurt puree.  This dish is also served as an entree and I would not hesitate to order that on a subsequent visit.  Mantu: Spicy Beef Dumplings: our second favorite on the plate. Topped with carrot and chickpeas korma and dressed with a yogurt garlic sauce, topped with mint and cayenne.  Roasted Eggplant Bouraanee: another great-tasting dish.  My only quibble would be that the eggplant was not peeled and the skin was a bit tougher than I prefer.  Roasted Butternut Squash Bouraanee: this was fine, but not as interesting as the other dishes.  

For entrees, MrB ordered Chicken Luwaan from the specials menu and he loved it -- the sauce was complex with subtle flavor undertones that he found very enjoyable.  It was also a very attractive dish, as evidenced by lonewolfcub's photo of this dish upthread.  My entree was the Qabuli Palou and it was the one major disappointment of the meal.  The dish is described as 'beef shank slowly braised, then baked with basmati rice, topped off with raisins and julienned carrots.'  I found the beef to be quite dry and without much flavor; the rice and carrots were too heavily-flavored with cardamom -- I like cardamom, but there was just too much of it.  Next time, I'd choose an entree from the specials board, or make a meal of several of their fabulous appetizers.  

Afghan Bistro does carryout, but frankly, dining-in at this restaurant is such a pleasant experience that I wouldn't want to shortchange myself on that.  We are so glad to have finally found this gem and we'll be making up for lost time by frequent visits.  

• Like 2

I finally made my way to Afghan Bistro, and my only regret is that it took me so long to do so. As soon as I opened the door and walked in, I was met with incredible aromas, and I immediately knew I had made a great decision. The space is compact and very "cozy", and while there is a bar area, there isn't any bar seating.  

Members upthread have did a wonderful job describing the food, so I'll only add that, while this was my first experience with Afghan cuisine, I thought the food was incredibly delicious. I inadvertently doubled up on a couple of dishes, since I chose a hot mazza assortment for an appetizer, and the vegetarian combination as a main. Mind you, I'm not complaining, and the praises for the eggplant, butternut squash, dumplings, and other dishes mentioned above are well deserved. Portions were generous, and I had more than enough food for two meals. 

Everyone I met was incredibly nice and helpful, and I look forward to dining in during my next visit. 

• Like 3

Have been to Afghan Bistro twice now (and wish I had made it more). Love this place. It is virtually everything I look for to my personal tastes in a restaurant - fantastic, unique food and amazingly nice people.

The aushak I have had both times and it might be one of my favorite dishes in the area. This somehow manages to feel almost light and delicate despite the ground beef and yogurt topping. Fantastic leak dumplings.

Have also had both times an excellent special consisting of a lamb shank in a red curry with eggplant over rice. Perfectly cooked and great flavor. The eggplant is almost better than the lamb (and the lamb is great).

And then the flatbread with chutneys as described above is a perfect way to kick off the meal. Could eat a lot of this by itself.

Cannot recommend this place heavily enough and wish it was closer to me.

• Like 5

Love the story of this place, true family owned joint/American dream fulfilled. We were a 2-top on a weekday night, greeted and seated promptly, fed well and got two after dinner drinks gratis just because the owner (I'm guessing) felt like treating us.

Shared one app (hot mazza assortment - butternut squash was excellent) and main (chicken and ground beef combo), with bread that was plenty of food for two. Interesting to say, but I was impressed mostly by the sides/ veg preparation, less with the meats. Although the shank many others were enjoying looked great, will have to try it next time. Reasonable alcohol selection (any alcohol is a plus actually), adequate house wines.

Looks like on the night we went they were training non-family members to serve, it was apparent it's difficult to loosen the grip for the owners. We were asked if the server introduced the specials, mentioned that the sides were limitless, etc. We had to reassure a few times the server did indeed.

On their website you're asked to email or call for a reservation, but they do have OpenTable (not advertising it is a way to save some money I guess).

A great place to have in the Springfield desert, definitely will be back.

• Like 4

Came back couple weeks ago at a weird time (Tuesday at 9pm). If this experience would've been my first one, I wouldn't return... Places that make you truly comfortable are rare for me, and that was my first experience, fortunately.

Second one was just ... - service was ok, nothing unexpected for a restaurant at closing time. But the food... My dinner partner is not one to complain or return food. Basically ever. He was quietly eating, and I could see his face change to such extent I had to ask what's wrong. Maybe it sounds pompous, but when you're tired and looking forward to some satisfying, piping hot, close to home cooked meal, and get this... Damn. My chicken special plate reminded me why I shouldn't order chicken at restaurants.

Anyways. Need to come back just to erase this bad memory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I had lunch today at Monty's with a companion.
Companion had the burger and declared it quite good. I'm not sure there is a better burger in Springfield right now.

I'll have to try it out, but I will say Afghan Bistro's burger is very, very good. (Yes, really!)

• Like 1

We had Lizzy's grad dinner at Afghan Bistro a few weeks ago, 9+, large for the space, but we had an excellent experience, food was amazing, service attentive, & we were all sharing.  I'm having lunch w/ a friend next week & I'm sure it will be just as good, I'm so glad I found this place & can share it w/ friends.   Although they are probably ready to move to a larger location, I'm being selfish in hoping they don't move too far away.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thistle said:

We had Lizzy's grad dinner at Afghan Bistro a few weeks ago, 9+, large for the space, but we had an excellent experience, food was amazing, service attentive, & we were all sharing.  I'm having lunch w/ a friend next week & I'm sure it will be just as good, I'm so glad I found this place & can share it w/ friends.   Although they are probably ready to move to a larger location, I'm being selfish in hoping they don't move too far away.

I would hope they keep the Springfield location and operate a second, larger location somewhere in the area. Do what Bozzelli's or Lebanese Taverna did -- grow offspring!

• Like 1

Some of this banter inspired me to have dinner at Afghan Bistro tonight....but, I arrived at 6:30 to a full dining room, and the manager informed me that he might be able to squeeze me in at 8:15. So I begged him for carry out, and he obliged. I took home the hot mazza assortment and the mixed grill assortment.

First, a few observations....this place is tiny. I counted a packed house of 40 covers at 6:30, but they had already been open since 4:00pm, and they will do at least a full turnover at 8:00 or 8:15, so this little gem is doing 100 covers on a Friday night. Not bad. The front of the house had about 6-7 hosts, including two brothers who looked like the owners, but the rest of the staff looked related. They were gracious with the guests, and they made everyone feel like friends and family.

Most importantly, I confirmed with the manager that they now have a lease in Palisades, but they are keeping the Springfield location. Hooray! This is easily Springfield's best restaurant right now.

I took the food home, and it traveled well (about 3 miles). The hot mazza was four dishes -- leek and scallion turnovers, roasted butternut squash, roasted eggplant puree, and leek dumpling. These dishes were seasoned to perfection, with a little spicy kick, and wonderful flavors and textures. I would happily order all four of them separately in the future, but why not enjoy them all together?

The mixed grill assortment included a delectable lamb chop -- like a meat popsicle -- plus beef tenderloin, salmon, and seekh kabob. The assortment was a carnivore's dream come true, and when you top each of them with the accompanying chutneys, you have the taste of the spice routes of southern Asia on a plate.

Afghan Bistro reminds me of the great Afghan food in the '80s, when Afghan immigrants escaping the Soviet invasion settled here and opened seriously good restaurants -- like Bamyan in Alexandria and Khyber Pass in Rosslyn. Palisades will be happy with the expansion of this great little restaurant.

• Like 3

Made another visit to Afghan Bistro this Friday and honestly I think this might be among my top three favorite restaurants in the area at the moment. I'm sure it's not empirically the "best," but I think it may come close to making me the happiest.

They were absolutely packed full and while we had a reservation for two, it seemed like it was going to be a bit of a wait when we arrived. But then ended up being able to seat us fairly quickly as several parties left. As always, the staff here is incredibly nice and welcoming, and the owner (I presume) checked up several times throughout our meal to see how everything was (as he had in past visits).

The meal started as always with bread and the four chutneys - all of which are excellent. Honestly, could eat a meal just of the jalapeno and red pepper chutneys on good bread by themselves. We then went with three dishes and just told them to bring them out whenever - the hot mazza assortment and aushak off the appetizer portion of the menu, and then an oxtail and potatoes dish (can't remember exact name) that was a special.

Everything was excellent. The aushak have been one of my favorite dishes in the area and they are just outstanding - delicately layered flavors and everything works in tandem. The hot mazza assortment was also delicious, containing one aushak, roasted butternut squash, roasted eggplant puree, and a leek turnover. Each of these were pretty much perfectly done and nothing overpowers the other items.

The oxtail and potatoes dish featured those ingredients in a gravy with rice and a light chutney. Not quite as good as the preceding items of the meal, but still excellent overall. Had previously had a similar version of this dish with lamb shank and eggplant and thought that was slightly better, but would happily eat either again.

Great news for the owners that they are opening up a second place - they certainly seem to have more business than this location can handle -- but selfishly hoping that the quality keeps up. I was an enormous fan of Bangkok Golden its first few years and thought that when they opened Thip Khao both the new location and original were still great, but not quite up to the level of the original at the beginning. I wonder whether the next couple months will be the best time to go to Afghan Bistro at its peak. Hopefully they are able to stay up to form at both spots (and frankly even if it's 75% as good, will still easily be worth going to).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

& dinner yesterday w/ another friend that I wanted to share this place with-I'm a creature of habit & tend to get the same dish over & over.  Here it's chicken thigh kebabs w/ rice & sabzi (greens) instead of potato bouranee.  They seemed to have quite a few new menu items that I was tempted to try, a cold avocado/yogurt soup & a salmon entree w/ the sabzi, but I stuck w/ my favorite (& was too busy talking w/ my friend to eat & took most of my meal home).  I'm happy that I can continue to meet friends here for meals & I wish them the greatest success in their new location. 

Was there this past Friday night after 9 PM. I'm usually someone who gets the same dish once I find one because I hate to run the risk of disappointment, but with Afghan it is different. I almost go out of my way to try new dishes because everything has been very good to great. 

@thistle, had the cold yogurt soup and it was very refreshing. It's a fairly large bowl, so you get a good portion. It's cool, not too thick or too runny, slivers of cucumber and a good helping of dill gives this appetizer a clean fresh start to your meal. Great on a hot summer day. 

They have new menus, and some of their specials in the past have become staples. For my entree, I had the beef filled dumplings that was topped with black beans, chickpeas, and a few other toppings I can't remember. Loved the dish. Glad to hear on expansion for them but nervous the quality may suffer. Definitely the best restaurant in Springfield.

• Like 1

Amazing! Can't believe it took us so long to drive to down to Springfield to check this place out. Best Afghan food we've had in the area. Surprised to see it so packed on a Tuesday night, but they were kind enough to squeeze us in without a reservation. We split kadoo bouraanee, mantu dumplings, vegetarian platter, braised lamb shank, and chicken lawaan. All incredible. The chicken stew was especially good I thought. The kadoo turnovers were addictive, I easily could have eaten another 5 of them. This place is a gem.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, horacebailey14 said:

Amazing! Can't believe it took us so long to drive to down to Springfield to check this place out. Best Afghan food we've had in the area. Surprised to see it so packed on a Tuesday night, but they were kind enough to squeeze us in without a reservation. We split kadoo bouraanee, mantu dumplings, vegetarian platter, braised lamb shank, and chicken lawaan. All incredible. The chicken stew was especially good I thought. The kadoo turnovers were addictive, I easily could have eaten another 5 of them. This place is a gem.

Afghan Bistro is one of the best meals I've had in 2018. This is so far superior to the second-best Afghan cuisine I've ever had, that I don't even know what to compare it with. 

Start with the Manti (which I'm pretty sure are the "mantu dumplings" you mention), no matter what else you get - you'll know the moment the plate is put down in front of you.

Note: They pulled their DC crew back to Springfield about three months ago (the same time they reopened for lunch). so the A-Team is in Springfield.

If Afghan cuisine could get a Michelin star, Afghan Bistro would have a Michelin star - and the service is incredible (and the wines are surprisingly good, too)

At the very least, can everyone agree that this merits a Bib Gourmand? This restaurant is flat-out amazing.

Dining Guide entry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

All this talk has me interested in checking out Bistro Aracosia - what are some menu highlights?   I’m tryling to maintain a low carb diet.

I'm not really sure what qualifies as low carb, but I enjoyed my meal there, even if the food is a bit heavy.  The service is exceptionally friendly and the menu is so big it's almost overwhelming.  if you're looking for meat without bread or anything, I think they may be able to satisfy your needs but I'm not sure if many of their delicious stews would.

55 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I’m just trying to avoid bread, pastas, potatoes, and other carby foods.  Meats and leafy veggies are good.

Eric, think about Afghan cuisine - both traditional, and modern. It's a mixture of wheat-based flour, and Islamic meats (you won't find pork, but so what). I think that, although you'll find something here - especially in Springfield - to whet your whistle, it won't be any more complete than if you want to a Szechuan Dumpling House and didn't order dumplings - does that make sense? 

I'm just trying to get you the best possible experience, while at the same time being realistic about Afghan Bistro.The main courses here are generally served with rice as a backbone (think Indian), so if that doesn't work, you should probably call in advance.

I really hope you love Afghan Bistro (or Bistro Aracosia) as much as I do - I think that, under the right circumstances, you'll find it compelling.

God, I can picture you ordering these Manti, and not liking them because they have substantial carbs, but that would just be wrong - you're better than this. Maybe on the first visit, go with the flow, and after having gotten to know the staff, go forward accordingly?

Damn, I was right there tonight in Springfield, but they were closed - Afghan Bistro is truly fantastic.

• Like 2

Just went today.  The beef shank I had was a 7/10 but the Leek and Scallion dumplings were a 13/10 so the whole experience worked out to be a 10/10.  Thinking of going back this week.  Any recommendations on what I should get?

1 hour ago, ulrath said:

Just went today.  The beef shank I had was a 7/10 but the Leek and Scallion dumplings were a 13/10 so the whole experience worked out to be a 10/10.  Thinking of going back this week.  Any recommendations on what I should get?

A second order of the leek and scallion dumplings. :)

My Marine Scout Sniper son is headed to Afghanistan soon, and I wanted him and his new wife to savor some cuisine that he is not likely to encounter on his deployment. We had a really good meal.

We had the hot appetizer platter and an extra serving of aushak. We wiped both plates clean with the accompanying bread.

Then came the mains. Son devoured a kabob platter -- it disappeared in mere moments. I had the qabili palow with lamb shank, which I loved. The two ladies had the saffron salmon, which may or may not be indigenous to Afghanistan, but they had to put salmon on the menu because everyone does. 

Happy faces all around. I'm glad this place is in Springfield, because I can eat here at least weekly.

• Like 3

This is far and away the best restaurant in Springfield, but....there isn't a whole lot of competition.

We had a party of six for dinner tonight, and it was superb. Bottom line up front -- spectacular meal; more food than we could eat; appetizers, mains, and desserts; plus 3 bottles of wine; all in with tax and tip was $340. Less than $60 a person.

The appetizer mezzeh platter was a hit. We were introducing two out-of-town guests to Afghan cuisine, and they raved about the flavors. My daughter has been experimenting with a plant-based diet, and the butternut squash blew her away. 

Main courses included two of the lamb chops with tenderloin kabob platters, a salmon platter for Lady KN, a boneless veal platter, an oxtail platter....whatever the Pashto word for "delicious" is, I have to learn it. Really, really delicious food, in that way where the spices and the textures combine for unique flavor that is incredible.

Those of us who usually pass on dessert had the cardamom ice cream and the rose water ice cream, and both were pleasing and interesting. I almost never eat dessert, but I will always order it here.

I can't rave about this place enough. I'm looking forward to trying the outposts in Palisades and McLean.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 8:40 PM, Kibbee Nayee said:

I can't rave about this place enough. I'm looking forward to trying the outposts in Palisades and McLean.

I've been to all three (Springfield and Palisades multiple times), and both Springfield and Palisades are putting out better cuisine then McLean (although I'd still say Bistro Aracosia is the best restaurant in McLean). Springfield is casual, whereas Palisades and McLean have clearly seen some money pumped into the decor.

(Disclaimer: I haven't been to either Springfield or Palisades since McLean opened, so there may be some internal shuffling of the staff - see third sentence above.)

• Like 1

The combination of Uber Eats and Afghan Bistro provided us dinner on Saturday, June 6. We ordered the boneless juicy chicken thighs (excellent), Bistro signature mixed grill maza (good), aushak dumplings (excellent), salmon for Lady KN (very good), and sabzi side (good). This was quite the feast, overall delicious, and it traveled well. We are only about 3 miles from the restaurant, so travel shouldn't be much of an issue. But placing the order at 4:00pm on a Saturday might have missed the kitchen's sweet spot. The bread appeared to be from a package, whereas in previous visits, it was fresh out of the oven. Regardless, this was a first-rate dinner.

Plenty of leftovers will fuel today. I'm glad we have such a sturdy and reliable restaurant within a few miles.

• Like 3