Texas Jack's, Barbecue in the Former Tallula and EatBar Space - Chef Warren Zuniga's Brisket and Craft Beers

On 11/16/2015 at 8:56 PM, cheezepowder said:

Texas Jack's is planning to open later this month at the former Tallula location.  Their Facebook post with a description of their opening menu.

On 11/16/2015 at 10:56 PM, DonRocks said:

What is a "Smashed Cucumber Salad?" Is it like "Compressed Watermelon?"

Can everybody tell I'm in a pissy mood tonight?

On 11/17/2015 at 8:42 AM, jasonc said:

they'll do that in Sichuan a lot to sort of help it absorb the sauce:

"Smash Your Cucumbers for a Smashingly Simple Side Dish" by J. Kenji López-Alt on seriouseats.com

Scheduled to open on Dec. 7, 2015 according to ArlNow.

Opening day menus and my two door nachos from the happy hour menu ($6) with pulled pork (+$2) (smoky & moist pork) and 1 link of habanero and cheese sausage ($6) (not that spicy, cheesy) which came with bread and pickles.  I was told that the two door and four door on the happy hour menu refer to the size of the nachos.

post-889-0-30443300-1449532201_thumb.jpg

post-889-0-17117500-1449532209_thumb.jpg

post-889-0-18061800-1449532217_thumb.jpg

post-889-0-47591900-1449532225_thumb.jpg

post-889-0-06051700-1449532239_thumb.jpg

post-889-0-38307500-1449532251_thumb.jpg

post-889-0-27379800-1449532261_thumb.jpg

post-889-0-36173700-1449532269_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sampled quite a lot this evening. The meats were very good. They served brisket flat, and I hadn't thought to ask for the point. Still it was nice and moist, perhaps a shade more tender than I would like. I thought it could have used a tad more smoke. The pulled pork didn't pick up any of the advertised chili rubs but was still decent. The pork ribs were great and probably the best I've had at a restaurant in years. They were perfectly cooked, providing a clean bite with none of the "fall off the bone" overcooked-ness that infects most BBQ joints. I liked the sausage which was pretty spicy tonight but I can tell it won't suit everyone's palate as it was a little greasy.

The surprise here is the sides which were all fantastic. Charred brussel sprouts have a hint of lemon to cut through all the meat fat. The corn was delicious, basically a creamed corn with cilantro and some cheese. Cucumber salad was light and creamy.

I would have loved to finish it off with some banana pudding but there are no desserts yet. We were told the chef is still working on them. But if they show the same attention to detail on desserts as they do on the sides then customers will be very fortunate.

• Like 1

I dined here recently on a Friday night with friends and came away impressed. The happy hour seems to be excellent, with generous hours, food specials, and $5 drafts from a good selection. We didn't mind our wait for a table given the beer special.

We ordered the nachos (sans meat) as an appetizer and they were very solid bar nachos. The four of us split a pound of brisket, a pound of pulled pork, a half rack of pork ribs, and two sausages. The brisket was excellent, approximately 1/4 point and 3/4 flat (we did not request a particular apportioning). The tenderness was to my liking, though I do agree a little more smoke flavor would have been nice, the meat itself was flavorful enough that I was very satisfied. Overall, though, it is the real deal and a welcome addition to the meager offerings in the region. The pork spare ribs, though, were probably the highlight of the meal. Wonderful smoke flavor and, crucially, not overcooked. Ribs can often be cooked into mush, but these had great texture. The sausage was delicious, though not something I would make a regular order unless I was trying to fill out a spread (as we were). The pulled pork was somewhat disappointing. It had nice texture and wasn't overcooked, but lacked flavor. The pinto bean risotto side was excellent. The coleslaw was disappointing - the cabbage was shredded far too coarsely and it was very underdressed. The sole house barbecue sauce was good, an all-arounder definitely in the ketchup-y style but not cloyingly sweet. I didn't need much sauce, which is the mark of good barbecue. Still, I would have liked an assortment of different sauce styles to pair with the meats. The pulled pork, in particular, would have been vastly improved with some vinegar-based sauce.

We will be back, frequently, and our meal for two will likely be an order of nachos, 1/2 pound brisket, 4 pork ribs, and the pinto beans.

• Like 1

They have moist brisket, as good as Hill Country.  They have pork spare-rib, as good as DCity Smokehouse (back when Sonderman was still around).  They have beef short-rib, which was also good, but at $26/lb, I would rather just get more brisket.  This is the type of BBQ I like (Texas style, no sauce, and a very peppery rub).   

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

They have moist brisket, as good as Hill Country.  They have pork spare-rib, as good as DCity Smokehouse (back when Sonderman was still around).  They have beef short-rib, which was also good, but at $26/lb, I would rather just get more brisket.  This is the type of BBQ I like (Texas style, no sauce, and a very peppery rub).   

The brisket was my favorite here as well.

On 2/22/2016 at 11:52 AM, powderfinger said:

I dined here recently on a Friday night with friends and came away impressed. The happy hour seems to be excellent, with generous hours, food specials, and $5 drafts from a good selection. We didn't mind our wait for a table given the beer special.

We ordered the nachos (sans meat) as an appetizer and they were very solid bar nachos. The four of us split a pound of brisket, a pound of pulled pork, a half rack of pork ribs, and two sausages. The brisket was excellent, approximately 1/4 point and 3/4 flat (we did not request a particular apportioning). The tenderness was to my liking, though I do agree a little more smoke flavor would have been nice, the meat itself was flavorful enough that I was very satisfied. Overall, though, it is the real deal and a welcome addition to the meager offerings in the region. The pork spare ribs, though, were probably the highlight of the meal. Wonderful smoke flavor and, crucially, not overcooked. Ribs can often be cooked into mush, but these had great texture. The sausage was delicious, though not something I would make a regular order unless I was trying to fill out a spread (as we were). The pulled pork was somewhat disappointing. It had nice texture and wasn't overcooked, but lacked flavor. The pinto bean risotto side was excellent. The coleslaw was disappointing - the cabbage was shredded far too coarsely and it was very underdressed. The sole house barbecue sauce was good, an all-arounder definitely in the ketchup-y style but not cloyingly sweet. I didn't need much sauce, which is the mark of good barbecue. Still, I would have liked an assortment of different sauce styles to pair with the meats. The pulled pork, in particular, would have been vastly improved with some vinegar-based sauce.

We will be back, frequently, and our meal for two will likely be an order of nachos, 1/2 pound brisket, 4 pork ribs, and the pinto beans.

We made a second trip recently and largely repeated the order from the first. I'm happy to report that the brisket and pork ribs were at least as good as the first time (the brisket may have been even better) and the pulled pork and coleslaw were significantly improved.

Texas Jack's is the real deal.

Hubby and I went to Texas Jack's for the first time on Saturday night.  The restaurant was full, but wasn't crazy.  We sat at the kitchen "bar" (this isn't the term they used because it isn't a bar like the restaurant's bar, it's just the seats lining up along the front of the kitchen, but I forget what they called it) which was fun because we were exhausted and it amused us, AND we could see all the different food going out of the kitchen.  I like that a restaurant like this has an open kitchen, you could see the kitchen was kept extremely clean and it was neat to see how well oiled of a machine this place is, their expeditor was really nice, too.  

We couldn't decide what we wanted, so we got the small meat board.  This small board, I would say is enough for 4 people, and potentially more if you got a fair number of sides.  We knew it was way more food than we would eat, but we were fine with a large amount of leftovers.  The board had bbq chicken, brisket, ribs, pulled pork and habanero sausage along with two types of pickles- sriracha and bread and butter.  We really liked the pulled pork and brisket, we thought the ribs were good, the sausage was fine, but nothing special.  The chicken was definitely the weakest link in the bunch, but I will admit it was pretty darn good as a sandwich the next day.  I really liked the bread and butter pickles, I thought they were done right and had the correct seasoning.  I wasn't as big of a fan of the sriracha, but Hubby really liked those.  We also got a kale caesar salad, which I really liked.  The kale was tender and finely cut, the dressing tasted house made to me, the fried capers were interesting.  It was a good side with all the meat.  We both got beers which we liked Hubby got a Victory cage rattler which I actually really liked, I got an Optimal Wit.  I drink Optimal Wit enough now that I can taste the difference in it, this was very fresh draft, which I think has a lot more fruit taste to it.  

We thought the overall price given the amount of what we got and given it has been three meals for us so far, and I will probably have it for lunch tomorrow was a good deal.  We will definitely be back because I want to try the nachos- they looked really good.  But I have to say everything coming out of the kitchen looked really good.  I was impressed by how good all the veggie dishes looked for a bbq place.  The free valet parking is handy.  We talked briefly with a person who I think must be the manager and he was really nice and enthusiastic about the place.  I liked what they did with the space, which is laid out exactly the same, but is a bit more open now.  This is also a place that we will be able to take family and know they will like it.   Anyway, I am glad we went, and we definitely will be back.  I do think this is a better version of Hill Country, in a way.

• Like 3

On 8/15/2016 at 6:35 PM, mtureck said:

Sorry, but I have to downgrade any BBQ joint that serves kale in any form. :)

That's fine.  I understand that sentiment, BUT this is the exact reason why I will go there more often than I would say Hill Country or Sweet Heat Bbq right by my office.  I absolutely lament when we go to bbq joints and the sides are terrible or just not a priority (don't get me started on how terrible the cole slaw and potato salad at Smithfield Bbq is) while I am sure Hubby absolutely doesn't care.  If we can go somewhere and indulge a little, but also have vegetables that taste awesome that is a win, win for me.  

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:59 PM, ktmoomau said:

That's fine.  I understand that sentiment, BUT this is the exact reason why I will go there more often than I would say Hill Country or Sweet Heat Bbq right by my office.  I absolutely lament when we go to bbq joints and the sides are terrible or just not a priority (don't get me started on how terrible the cole slaw and potato salad at Smithfield Bbq is) while I am sure Hubby absolutely doesn't care.  If we can go somewhere and indulge a little, but also have vegetables that taste awesome that is a win, win for me.  

I agree - and honestly, if a BBQ place cares enough about their sides to do a kale Caesar well, it may also care about the more traditional sides like coleslaw.

I was at Texas Jack's on election night.  Apparently some of the Virginia RNC were there as we saw Ed Gillespie while we were walking in.  It was the first omen of the evening, like a black cat walking in front of you on Halloween.  I finally got to eat their nachos- with brisket.  Their nachos are really good- they use tasty white queso, similar to what you get at Moe's, they have a drizzle of salsa, a drizzle of sour cream, some jalapeno, radishes and a fair amount of cilantro (which I picked around because I don't prefer cilantro).  The chips were good.  This was one of the better nacho experiences in this area in my opinion.  I would have been much more excited about them had there not been a growing bad feeling in the pit of my stomach which had nothing to do with food.  I will try it with pulled pork next time, I think it might amp it up just a little more.  But in a way now Texas Jack's is now scarred- it's not their fault, it's just that I now associate that moment with the moment the election results were coming in.  I am sure as more time passes and I get further away from election night Texas Jack's will be a good thing again, but it's like drinking too much and getting sick- you just need some time to clear it all from present memory.

• Like 9

FWIW, we enjoyed the kale salad.  The ribs were a bit too heavy on the peppercorn crust.  What will keep us coming back is the fact that they offered us a car seat caddy for our daughter -- first time we've seen that at any restaurant (though, granted, we don't eat out that often).

5 hours ago, silentbob said:

FWIW, we enjoyed the kale salad.  The ribs were a bit too heavy on the peppercorn crust.  What will keep us coming back is the fact that they offered us a car seat caddy for our daughter -- first time we've seen that at any restaurant (though, granted, we don't eat out that often).

This is a thing here in Seattle -- would be awesome if it were to become something in DC too.  (Though, protip, flip any high chair over and voila, car seat caddy.)

2 hours ago, FVT said:

In case this has not been covered already -- Washington Post's take on the area's best BBQ: 

"The $20 Diner's 2016 Guide to the Best Barbecue in the DC Area" by Tim Carman on washingtonpost.com

What do you all think of Texas Jack's? I've been there twice (not in the past six months), and while I thought it was good, I didn't think it was even close to the best barbecue I've had in the entire DC area. If I could pick one area in which I value Tim Carman's opinion the most, it's barbecue, so ... what the hell happened? He absolutely would not have been raving about the two meals I had there, so Texas Jack's must have really improved.

I thought their brisket was far-enough superior to the other items I tried that I made a point to mention it in this Jul, 2016 post, and Carman thinks that's their strong point as well, but for the restaurant, as a whole, it to be "The Best" barbecue in the DC area, there must have been a sea change.

I'm stunned to see Smoke & Barrel on a Top 10 list of any credible reviewer, but he did mention it has really upped its game since last year, even going so far as to call its former self, "borderline hopeless," which mirrors my experience there (I did not go in 2016). Likewise Epic Smokehouse, but I haven't been there in what must be going on four years now, and I didn't really think of it as a "barbecue restaurant."

It sounds like the DC barbecue scene is undergoing rapid change, and this list must be taken seriously, as I don't know of anyone else who has done such an exploration in the past year.

I visited Texas Jack's a few times early last year, and have been three times over the past month. I will say their consistency seems to have improved tremendously over the past year. Early on, I had some ribs that were undercooked and chewy. But I haven't had a bad experience lately and that's why I keep finding an excuse to go back. The ribs are excellent, and I've enjoyed both the moist and lean brisket. Surprisingly, both meats even reheated well the next day which is not something I'm accustomed to with barbecue.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Where did I dine?

IMG_3078.jpg

10 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'll let people know when they're correct - will answer any questions if people need hints. What do people think of how it looks?

4 hours ago, dcs said:

Texas Jack's.

3 hours ago, reedm said:

Looks like old, dry, reheated brisket. Interested to know where it is so I don't have to go there. 

36 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Texas Jack's it was. I didn't finish it.

On Feb. 10, Tim Carman tweeted that Matt Lang left.

1 hour ago, cheezepowder said:

On Feb. 10, Tim Carman tweeted that Matt Lang left.

<_<

he says, $70 later,

I only went there because I trusted Carman's barbecue palate - I was pissed because I was wrong, and now I'm poor because I was right.

They have a *huge* sign up out front that says "Washington Post #1 Barbecue in the DC Area!" or something like that, so they're *really* milking whatever publicity they got.

On a Friday night, they were packed.

Listen up: I took a good look at what was coming out, and it wasn't *that* bad. In fact, even my brisket wasn't *that* bad - I ordered a healthy portion, and just decided it wasn't worth the calories, not even to take home. The Porky Pintos ($8 for a large) were very good, and shots of Wild Turkey 101 (an underrated Bourbon that people assume is lousy because it's so well-known) are $9.

So, let yourself be warned. And nobody but a select few people will know, so if you're reading this, consider yourself part of the cognoscenti. I'm downgrading Texas Jack's in the Dining Guide; I was prepared to upgrade it. 

Thanks. I think.

This, by the way, demonstrates the danger of relying on any restaurant reviews that aren't updated on a constant, real-time basis. Real-time is obviously impossible, but you've got to try.

The age of the "one and done" review (or the "three and flee" review, depending on which standards you use) is over. It's just a matter of how many more years the public is willing to be duped (probably a lot, quite frankly, but it'll change at some point when people slowly emerge from their fugue state.)

On 2/18/2017 at 1:41 PM, JimCo said:

Nooooooooooooooooo...

We finally had a very good brisket place. Why did it have to be so short lived? ?

One thing I've learned about the top tier Texas BBQ joints is that they have pitmasters who have dedicated years not only to the craft, but to a particular smoker setup and particular space.  The interaction of equipment and environment have a huge effect on the final product in central Texas-style barbecue.  I imagine that DC can't hope to have a "great" barbecue place until someone makes that kind of long term commitment.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Josh said:

One thing I've learned about the top tier Texas BBQ joints is that they have pitmasters who have dedicated years not only to the craft, but to a particular smoker setup and particular space.  The interaction of equipment and environment have a huge effect on the final product in central Texas-style barbecue.  I imagine that DC can't hope to have a "great" barbecue place until someone makes that kind of long term commitment.  

This is one of the wisest things I've read in a long time here. It not only applies to barbecue, but many other aspects of life as well.

We had brisket and pork ribs the other night at the bar. Both were very good, but a notch below what we remember of our previous visit with Chef Lang. We also had brussels sprouts and cornbread, both delicious. Collard greens were back on the menu but we just weren't in the mood.

The place was packed on the Friday night we went. I'm glad to see it. At the moment we'd rate Federalist Pig higher, but that's a long drive into the city after work. It's nice to have such a good option in Texas Jack's so close by. I also wouldn't be surprised if the meats got even better as the new pitmasters keep at it.

• Like 1

I ordered some french toast because it came with brisket.  I figure the kids will eat the french toast and I'll eat the brisket.  A match made in heaven.  I specifically asked for moist brisket but what I got was some dry and cold brisket.  I guess if you order french toast, then you get the shit brisket.  I also ordered some pork ribs which were warm, moist, and tender.  The chicken and waffle was nothing special.  The chicken was  a filet of breast.

btw, if you redeem your open table points here, 2,000 points is still good for $20 (most other places are only good for $10).

The Steve-inator and I ordered the Regular Meat Medley  ($49) consisting of 1/2 lb. brisket, half chicken, 4 ribs, 1/2 lb. pulled pork, & 1 sausage link.

The moist brisket was quite good, as was the pork ribs.  I've never had their pulled pork before, and because it's generally vinegary, I will probably not have it again.  The chicken is slightly sweet and generally bland.  I thought the sausage was so-so.  I'll stick to brisket and pork ribs in the future.

Why, why, why do servers not write down orders? Within minutes of sitting down, our server took my family's order while maintaining eye contact and not writing a word of it down -- Half pound of moist brisket, half pound of turkey, one beef link, a plain cheeseburger, large mac and cheese, small corn, and small brussel sprouts. It was like being forced into a low stakes game of Chicken that was bound to end with two losers. And so I waited ten minutes wondering what would come out incorrectly, and I wasn't disappointed. Strike that. I was disappointed. Just not surprised.

A runner soon arrived with a mostly correct order. I immediately stopped him from putting down the corn muffins and told him we actually had ordered the corn. Everything else looked correct when he walked away. Then I noticed the brisket was clearly not from the moist end, and was several nice cuts of the lean instead. After finally flagging down our server, who had never noticed my empty beer glass, I pointed out the error. Fortunately, they were quick to correct both mistakes. (Though the bill still tried to charge me for the corn AND the corn muffins until I pointed it out.)

The upside was that the brisket was very good. It's not quite as smoky as the brisket at Hill Country which remains my favorite in this area, but it was reasonably moist and easy to keep eating. The beef sausage had a nice snap to it and a fair amount of spice. The turkey was cut into nearly one-inch slices which usually indicates something is going to be dry. It was. But the sides were all great.

It was nice to be back here after almost a year, and see that the barbecue is still quite good.  They were slammed last night with what looked like three very large parties (each table had 20+ people to it). That certainly makes service issues understandable, though not entirely forgivable when it probably could have been avoided with a pen and paper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimCo said:

Why, why, why do servers not write down orders?

My blood started boiling as soon as I read this sentence.

I'm convinced that servers do this to 1) show off, 2) practice enhancing their memory, or 3) because they overestimate themselves.

Any of the three are unacceptable. Just the sheer angst it causes witnessing this makes it a bad thing to do - I'd say I'm about 50-50 over the course of my career, all because some, some *idiot* - okay, I won't say idiot; *moron* -  has something to prove to himself.

If I were a server, even if I was Daniel Tammet, I would write things down on a pad *just to put the guests' minds at ease*.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

If I were a server, even if I was Daniel Tammet, I would write things down on a pad *just to put the guests' minds at ease*.

Exactly. Because even if you get it right, you’ve potentially stressed out your guest unnecessarily. 

As soon I saw nothing being written down, my mind immediately went to, “Oh shit, here we go...”

I've been meaning to write about Texas Jack's for a while now, but the WaPo listing reminded me. It's in my neighborhood and I've gone off and on since it opened (I've been going about 2x a month recently). I think Don can remove the "warning" from the title at this point. It has had some consistency issues, but the good/great has largely outweighed the disappointing.

I've stuck with the brisket (moist) and pork ribs after trying some of the other meats. The smoked wings were okay, but I didn't love the texture. The sausage didn't leave an impression. I got the pulled pork once and have stayed away ever since (little smoke and dry, but this was well over a year ago). My wife gets the smoked chicken, which I think is "okay", or the fried chicken sandwich. (Compare to Rockland's, which I pass to get to TJs, where I think the best items are the beer, hamburgers and pulled chicken). 

The pork ribs have generally been great and have been consistently the best item on the menu. They come with a decent amount of pepper from the dry rub and are still moist. The brisket is sometimes a little inconsistent (once or twice in the past year it has been dry), but the bark is great and the moist brisket is usually on point. The brisket sandwich with queso and fried onions (I think it's from the flat) is enjoyable too. 

I can't believe I'd recommend this, but my favorite meal here is brunch. I've made it a semi-regular habit to go and get the huevos rancheros. It can come topped with brisket (or I guess any meat) for no additional charge, but this feature is inexplicably not listed on the menu. The queso, runny egg and other sauces mix great with the brisket, which is chopped. Doesn't hurt that there are cheap drinks ($5 bloody mary).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2018 at 1:13 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

I went to Texas Jack's Monday for dinner. The Meat Medley (regularly $49) was half-price, and when it arrived, I realized this is exactly what I had on my previous visit. 

The barbecue was ... "okay," with the brisket being the weakest thing on the platter. Not a single thing was bad, but nothing was compelling, either - and the service was virtually absent.

I've been here several times now, and have yet to have anything I would consider great, although nothing would keep me from returning on a weeknight - is there some secret to ordering here in terms of which days to come?  (BTW, the best thing was a bowl of chili - it was very good chili.)

I don't live far from this place, and would *love* a good, casual barbecue restaurant nearby - drinks are expensive, but happy hour lasts until 7 PM (their happy hour beers are crap-o-la, but their $6 Margarita was a pleasant surprise).

Make sure to go on a Monday night if you want a sampling of all their meats - if the Meat Medley is half-priced, it's a monstrous portion of meat for not-a-lot of money.

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I went to Texas Jack's Monday for dinner.

The barbecue was ... "okay," with the brisket being the weakest thing on the platter.

13 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Go earlier.  Best time for BBQ is soon after they open, that's when the brisket is the moistest. 

No matter how you prepare it brisket is difficult to prepare "moist".  It has little fat.  It requires extra steps to include or maintain a tastier more moist texture.  I am reminded of the excellent report of the several Washington DC natives that explored deli from NYC to DC and everywhere in between up and down the 95 corridor

In their comprehensive conclusion and summary review of the 48 delis  they summarized as follows after ordering, among other things, corned beef, pastrami, and brisket sandwiches at every one of the 48 deli's:

We would urge you to avoid ordering brisket sandwiches at virtually all delis.  We found brisket to be consistently dry and/or tasteless.  The three exceptions to this rule were David’s Brisket House in NYC, Goodman’s in NJ and MGM Roast Beef in Washington.

I concur.  I spent years visiting deli's and specifically ordered brisket over corned beef or pastrami to lighten the spice and indigestion load.  Brisket too often comes out dry. 

On the cooking side I've worked on brisket over many years in a variety of ways.  Brisket requires additional steps to add a level of moistness associated flavor.    

The "early bird gets the worm" strategy might work at this place.  Whatever they do to enhance moistness might lose effect over the course of a day.

18 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I've been here several times now, and have yet to have anything I would consider great, although nothing would keep me from returning on a weeknight - is there some secret to ordering here in terms of which days to come?  

Go for brunch. Order the brisket sandwich. A fried egg, fried onions, and queso can cover up a myriad of sins against beef.

• Like 1

I was there for brunch yesterday and I enjoyed my pork ribs.  I noticed that they now have all you can eat brunch for $29, with the stipulation that you can't take anything to go.  Drink prices are drastically reduced ($1 for kir royale for example) if you go AYCE.  And they open at 9:30 a.m. on weekends.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 8:06 PM, Mountainfried said:

I can't believe I'd recommend this, but my favorite meal here is brunch. I've made it a semi-regular habit to go and get the huevos rancheros. It can come topped with brisket (or I guess any meat) for no additional charge, but this feature is inexplicably not listed on the menu. The queso, runny egg and other sauces mix great with the brisket, which is chopped. Doesn't hurt that there are cheap drinks ($5 bloody mary).

The huevos rancheros with brisket is amazing and will bring you back to life if you had a rough night the day before. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 8:06 PM, Mountainfried said:

I've been meaning to write about Texas Jack's for a while now, but the WaPo listing reminded me. It's in my neighborhood and I've gone off and on since it opened (I've been going about 2x a month recently). I think Don can remove the "warning" from the title at this point. It has had some consistency issues, but the good/great has largely outweighed the 

The smoked wings were okay, but I didn't love the texture.

Hmmm.   I'm eating the smoked wings right now as take out.   Wow.   Excellent smoke and spice combination.   I could feast on these.   Texture wise??    Its fine.  I'd describe it as not exceptional, not bad....very acceptable ....but that smoke and spice combo is absolutely great. 

Had brunch at TJ this morning at 9:30 a.m.  The pork ribs and the nachos arrived cold, i.e., at room temperature.  I do not understand why.  Did they sit while the kitchen plate everything else (salad & mac 'n cheese)?  Seems like a strange thing to happen when the restaurant is nearly empty.

20 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The pork ribs and the nachos arrived cold, i.e., at room temperature. 

I hate when this happens.  At Clarendon Silver Diner I regularly got room temp eggs or waffles (butter wouldn't melt on them) or burgers.  I got to the point that when I ordered, I ended by saying:  please bring the food over as soon as it is ready and informing them of my previous experiences.