Tsujita, An Outlet of a Famed, Tokyo-Based Artisan Noodle House - 2050 Sawtelle Boulevard

On 12/11/2014 at 7:05 AM, porcupine said:

I'm going to have about 8 hours to kill at LAX between flights.  As luck would have it, an old friend works near LAX and offered to pick us up and take us to lunch and help kill the time.  He's not much of a foodie, though he's willing to take us just about anywhere.

So, what's a good place for a mid-afternoon meal not too far from LAX?

Tsujita is where I plan to eat when I land there on Monday afternoon.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2013 at 6:50 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

The lunch line at Tsujita is hard core - be prepared to wait and wait, but then the tsukemen will be completely worth it. Might want to save up some calories and cholesterol points, though.  Last time I felt like I was eating a bowl of liquid pork butter. That's a good thing.  Mostly.

On 8/8/2013 at 2:28 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

Tsujita now has a tiny Annex across the street that serves the noodles all day long. It's better trying to catch it leaving the airport because there's still always a wait.

On 4/28/2015 at 7:35 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

I was the 2nd person in at Tsujita Annex on a Monday at 11:30 AM on the dot. I can never finish the soup for my tsukemen so this time I asked for it to be wrapped up and got an extra order of noodles to go (note that they don't actually do take-out so this is the closest you can get to taking away a meal from here) and had it for dinner at home! No waste and twice the deliciousness = happy.

On 11/4/2012 at 1:30 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

If you have time for a lunch, Tsujita is pretty close to you and has unbelievable noodles (only at lunch). The ramen is good but you want to go for the tsukemen noodles - thick and chewy and you WILL want to get an extra order. Both soups - the pork and seafood are incredibly thick and you'll need the hot water topper to make it all the way through. I daydream about this place. If you go, there might be a wait, so earlier is better. No dinner recs - haven't made into town at night yet!

On 12/13/2014 at 2:51 AM, Sundae in the Park said:

If you don't have to deal with luggage and have some more time, Joe has some great suggestions, and Don suggests Fishing With Dynamite above thread, which is open for lunch through dinnertime. If your friend has limited time and you feel like eating Asian food, I would head to the Sawtelle area and eat at Tsujita (be like mdt!) or its Annex (get the tsukemen), or any of the myriad options on the strip.

I find I only go to the Annex these days, since I just want to get the tsukemen (the noodles are always so perfectly springy, with just the right amount of chew), but the other dishes at the original location really were great as well. The lines on both sides of the street can't be wrong! It's been years and years and quality and corresponding wait (unless you time it just right) don't seem to have changed a bit. Note that the tsukemen soup is very salty if you drink it straight (a friend's complaint) - that's because you're supposed to dip the noodles in the broth to get the flavor, and ask for diluting hot water when/if you're ready to drink the broth.