The Shaw Bijou - Chef Kwame Onwuachi and GM Greg Vakiner's $95 Seven-Course Menu in Shaw - Closed

6 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

As well you should be - a 26-year-old kid who staged at Eleven Madison Park charging $185 for a tasting menu? Enjoy your dinner, folks, and let me know how it is: I'll be at 2 Amys.

We're in a bubble, my friends.

Just for that, once you start up your restaurant-review-by-vote program again, I'm going to lobby everyone on the site to vote for this place!

<devil emoticon>

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

As well you should be - a 26-year-old kid who staged at Eleven Madison Park charging $185 for a tasting menu? Enjoy your dinner, folks, and let me know how it is: I'll be at 2 Amys.

We're in a bubble, my friends.

I'm hoping Kwame Brown (DCs original wunderkid) can be the Maitre d'...

2 hours ago, Bart said:

Just for that, once you start up your restaurant-review-by-vote program again, I'm going to lobby everyone on the site to vote for this place!

<devil emoticon>

Hey, no problem - I have some serious catching up to do, and I'm starting again on Sep 18 (of course, I'm leaving on the 20th for awhile, so I'm "really" starting the second week in October.

I'll be doing only one review-by-demand a week; the other review (I'll be writing two) will be a place that *I* think I need to go to and review. There are some terrible, gaping holes in my restaurant experiences at this point, and I need to fill them in - preferably by year-end, but only doing two reviews a week, it'll be more like the end of March when I'm fully comfortable with things again.

By the end of August, I will produce a Kinship review of some sort. That is my drop-dead date: Aug 31.

Beginning Sep 18, I won't be going to 15 restaurants a week anymore; I'll be going to two (with absolutely no restrictions) *until* I reach my adult baseline weight, and that's going to be in 2017 - then, I'll be completely back. Three months of austerity is plenty, and I don't care how much weight I gained; unfortunately, it isn't going to do a damned thing for the pain - any doctors out there?

This is the longest I've gone without drinking in my adult life!

• Like 2

Onwuachi says diners interested in wine will receive a call before their meal from sommelier and wine director David Blackburn (formerly of Del Posto and Babbo). "The wine pairings will be tailored," Onwuachi said. "You'll explain exactly how much you're willing to spend for a wine pairing. . . and we'll tailor something for you with the information you give us."

The minimum wine pairing will cost $50.

I, for one, look forward to having to express interest, then, explain, prior to dinner, over a telephone conversation, in no uncertain terms, my unabashed financial allotment for wine for that particular evening, provided I have good reception at the time and/or am not driving or on the toilet.  This is a formidable leap from reading the wine menu thingy so long as their juice haberdasher doesn’t suit me up with $55 worth of ‘91 Pomerol in a burlap sack.

• Like 1

On August 25, 2016 at 9:52 AM, CapitalGourmand said:

Tickets go on sale Monday for $185 (not including tax, gratuity, or drinks). Comparing that to the cost of tasting menus around the country (and the city), I think it's a fair price for 13 courses.

Washington Post Going Out Guide: Dinner at Kwame Onwuachi’s Shaw Bijou will cost $185. That’s without drinks.

Wow, do I ever disagree.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2016 at 11:27 PM, Poivrot Farci said:

I, for one, look forward to having to express interest, then, explain, prior to dinner, over a telephone conversation, in no uncertain terms, my unabashed financial allotment for wine for that particular evening, provided I have good reception at the time and/or am not driving or on the toilet.  This is a formidable leap from reading the wine menu thingy so long as their juice haberdasher doesn’t suit me up with $55 worth of ‘91 Pomerol in a burlap sack.

This is just hilarious, by the way.  Are they going to be sourcing bottles specifically for one customer based on what they say they like?  Or changing the meal to match the customer's preferred pairing?  If not, why in the world does this conversation have to occur beforehand?  (Other than to be aware up front who's willing to shell out the big bucks for a pairing and adjust their level of care to the diner accordingly, of course.)

One of my favorite things to do at restaurants whose quality and attention to detail I trust is to put myself in the hands of the sommelier or the bartender or whoever and ask them to recommend interesting things for me based on the dishes I'm having and (if they ask) my general taste in wine; I've found so much great stuff that way.  But it's not a complicated process and certainly doesn't require them having to track me down over the phone.  Here's how it goes:

Me: Could you recommend a glass of something white or rosé (e.g.) to go with this next course?

Them: Hmm...I think I've got just the thing.

Me: Thanks!

<Optional-but-always-appreciated addendum:

Them: Here, taste this and tell me what you think ~or~ Here, taste these two things and tell me which you like better ~or~ So this wine is really cool, let me tell you a little about it...>

What's so special about their pairings at Shaw Bijou that the "personalized" aspect of wine recommendation needs to be any less straightforward (and, more importantly, to involve telephonic interaction beforehand)?

• Like 3

On 8/29/2016 at 6:57 PM, Gadarene said:

I wonder if that's an automatic 20 percent service charge or just an illustration.

This article says it's an automatic 20% service charge.  It also says all reservations are final and there are no cancelations or refunds  (unless you can sell your tickets to someone else).

"The Shaw Bijou Has a Strict 'Final Sale' Policy for Pricey Reservations (Updated)" by Anna Spiegel on washingtonian.com

• Like 1

I believe it was the great Nate Diaz who said it best - "LOL, Mother*&$%#^ !".

Maybe I will be completely wrong but everything about this restaurant, from the marketing to the comments re: menu to the ridiculous wine "discussions" leads me to believe that one will be able to eat twice as well for half as much at any number of DC restaurants.

I both entertain for business frequently and enjoy going out to dinner with friends and have no issue spending to do so. That said, opening a first restaurant and pricing things squarely in P&P, Komi, Metier territory is going to invite some derision.

Will be very interesting a couple months after opening once the bloggers have come through and posted their pics, made the typical raves, etc etc to see what the real result is...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bart said:

This article says it's an automatic 20% service charge.  It also says all reservations are final and there are no cancelations or refunds  (unless you can sell your tickets to someone else).

"The Shaw Bijou Has a Strict 'Final Sale' Policy for Pricey Reservations (Updated)" by Anna Spiegel on washingtonian.com

Holy cannoli.

At this point, there has to be a non-zero chance this is all some kind of performance art aimed at skewering high-falutin' foodie culture, right?

• Like 3

They just updated the article with this blurb:

<< “The idea behind this is solely that ‘the show must go on’,” says Vakiner. “If you bought tickets to go see a band in concert, and a month in advance you had a change of plans, how would you deal with those tickets? That said, we will reschedule a booking for anyone outside of a week in advance. We don’t wish to discourage people from buying tickets because they won’t get their money back. We wish for people to buy tickets knowing that even if something does come up, we will work within our limitations to ensure that we can get them in the door.” >>

They're definitely getting buzz, anyway.  All publicity is good publicity?

(I spend waaaaaaaay too much money on fine dining, and I have zero interest in ever setting foot in their door.  And I was predisposed to be excited about this restaurant, because the chef seemed like a really good guy who made delicious food when I saw him on Top Chef.)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gadarene said:

All publicity is good publicity?

Chef Kwame et al have invested a tremendous amount of money (let alone on a Hestan stove, I've heard), received plenty of press and very few are so irresponsible as to squander such a surfeit of cash & attention, particularly in an election year.  So long as they provide a window of when the wine outfitter will call to discuss my Piquepoul inseam (so it can coincide with the cable outfitter) and that he can match something to make my jaundice look fabulous they’ll do just fine. More so at $350+ a pop. No dress code offsets the $75 corkage so I’ll pay the piper to wear flip flops and bring a white zinfandel in my cargo shorts pocket. 

8 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Yes all sales are final for concert tickets. But what concert costs $962 for 2?

One Direction was, like, $920 for 2 in 2013, remember?

Upon further reflection however, I choose not to subsidize insecure egos who are desperately trying to transform a noble service of pleasure & convenience into Cirque du Sommelier where tortured style and an obnoxious parade of dainty finger food on ugly plates has to compensate for reliable subst(en)ance without airs (or foams).

• Like 6

In 2011, an established, James Beard Award-winning chef opened a tasting menu-only restaurant in an up-and-coming area, charging $175 for 24 courses with paired cocktails, and requiring diners to sign a contract. Despite being one of the greatest restaurants in the history of Washington, DC, Rogue 24 struggled throughout the entire course of its existence, before closing in 2015 - one of only three restaurants (along with Citronelle and Palena) to be retired in Bold: the highest rating that a restaurant can receive, and a rating which has been obtained (or will shortly be obtained) by *less than 10 restaurants* in the entire Washington, DC metropolitan area.

Add 5 years of time.
Subtract 20 years of experience and 1 James Beard Award.
Multiply the price by 2.

Expect it to work.

LSD.jpg

For the sake of completeness, I should add that Citronelle's rating was raised back to Bold after the passing of the legendary Michel Richard, in order to accurately reflect the totality of its existence, and as a gesture of respect to perhaps the greatest Chef this city has ever known. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Yes all sales are final for concert tickets. But what concert costs $962 for 2?

This guy is the equivalent of CREED yet he's charging prices more apropos to Mozart.

i wish this guy picked another city to open up in.

plenty of concerts cost $562 for 2, and you can buy $400 of booze anywhere.

It's a warm, pleasant evening here in Billings. I'm in the backyard with a glass of wine in plastic, and my two stupid hounds are fighting over a squeaky toy in the shadow of The Rims. Man, oh, man, am I glad to let you guys figure this whole mess out.

Can one judge a restaurant before it opens? I want to say, 'Hell no. Give the poor bastard a chance.' But, my rational self disagrees. If you're not bright enough to get ahead of this cost controversy in the press, you're probably not bright enough to stage this coup on DC dining. The stakes were a lot higher in Turkey, and look how that turned out.

Everyone is right; there are a shitload of viable options to spend your dining dollar, and this sticker price is high. Wasn't it Marco Pierre White that said (pararphrase) 'In the recession, everyone else lowered their prices. I raised mine.' You could say Chef Onwuachi is not Marco Pierre White, but how do you know? Maybe he is and we will be the ones happy to raise the banner when he succeeds. You could also say current DC is not late 1980's Britain, but why split hairs?

That damn show is responsible for a ton of investment capital and an embarrassing amount of revenue in DC's dining scene. Which speaks to the real issue here. Why? What is the difference between Pineapple and Pearls, Citronelle, and Shaw Bijou? Experience of the chef? Diners don't care. Value? People honestly don't know what they're paying for. Location? Shaw is the new Barracks Row (but better), and arguably the Georgetown from days of yore.

There's probably a racial component in this 'issue' that could be argued, that I, as an admitted coward, am only willing to acknowledge, and in no way address. 

I'm chock full of skepticism, but that's boring. Anyone that's seen my fantasy football lineup knows that I am an unrealistic optimist. More power to you Shaw Bijou. I hope you prove everyone wrong and blow it away (but I don't think you will). 

Edited by chefgunshow
Typo
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, franch said:

You have clearly shown your allegiance and excitement for Shaw Bijou. Now it would be appropriate to share any and all ties to Kwami, his partners, this project and/or Top Chef. Because you are quite the cheerleader...(will there be pom-pom's and short skirts? Sequins? Overpriced parking? Are you Dan Snyder? Will there be Cowboys and Eagles involved?).

4 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

You have clearly shown your allegiance and excitement for Shaw Bijou. Now it would be appropriate to share any and all ties to Kwami, his partners, this project and/or Top Chef. Because you are quite the cheerleader...(will there be pom-pom's and short skirts? Sequins? Overpriced parking? Are you Dan Snyder? Will there be Cowboys and Eagles involved?).

Jonathan, franch is right - plenty of concerts and bottles of booze cost that much - I agree franch should disclose his friendship, relations, or whatever else he has with Shaw Bijou, but he's been a *great* member here so far, so let's give him the benefit of all doubt, and give him a chance to speak.

1 hour ago, franch said:

please tell me what concerts cost $562 for 2 tickets...and where you would be forced to fork over another $400!!!! for transport, food and drinks?

Much appreciated.

and then tell me if this meal at Shaw Bijou will include a world class music act, transportation and a decent meal. Because as far as I know, it is an over priced meal served a block off of Rhode Island Avenue by a guy who is more concerned about his image than actually cooking for a living...at a price point so far out of whack of his experience, talent, and ability to execute that it takes a brave soul (not to charge as much as he is charging but) to call him out for his  bu!!$h!t.

1 hour ago, franch said:

Paul McCartney.

Paul Simon.

Rolling Stones.

front row at the Stone Roses.

Hamilton (over priced and over hyped)

where else? And is Kwame as accomplished as those acts?

24 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

please tell me what concerts cost $562 for 2 tickets...and where you would be forced to fork over another $400!!!! for transport, food and drinks?

Much appreciated.

and then tell me if this meal at Shaw Bijou will include a world class music act, transportation and a decent meal. Because as far as I know, it is an over priced meal served a block off of Rhode Island Avenue by a guy who is more concerned about his image than actually cooking for a living...at a price point so far out of whack of his experience, talent, and ability to execute that it takes a brave soul (not to charge as much as he is charging but) to call him out for his  bu!!$h!t.

i don't get this crazy anger you have about this place. there is literally no restaurant in the world i feel this negatively about. let alone one that hasn't opened. maybe you should disclose your ties to Kwame, since you know him well enough to say that his restaurant that isn't open is overpriced, that he doesn't care about cooking for a living, and that you are confident he has no talent or ability to execute. did he pour sugar in your gas tank a few years ago?

34 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

i'm sad you think that someone who disagrees with your vitriolic opinion about a restaurant must be financially motivated. but for the avoidance of doubt, i have no such motivation. i've actually never watched an episode of Top Chef, but may watch the episode Kwame is in before my reservation. i met Kwame for the first and only time at his wing fry event. oh, i think he liked my post on Instagram too, does that count? i met Greg for the first time there too, but i think i may have run into him at Eleven Madison Park. 

as for the rest, trust me, you don't want to see me in a cheerleader's uniform, i'm not the owner of the Washington Breadsticks, and i'll be damned if there's Dallas or Philly sports involved.

Franch...food is life. It's what sustains us. It's what I have given my adult life to...to enjoying food, cooking, shopping, cleaning, eating and running restaurants. Shaw Bijou is a a caricature. It's the Jersey Shore. It's Small Wonder. I Iike Sopranos,  I like Cezanne.,I like Sargent. It's as simple as that.

Shaw Bijou has been a non-stop parade of PR for over 2 years. The doors haven't opened. Prices have gone up. Memoirs have been inked. Cookbooks written. Ribeyes ordered. Ribeyes wasted. Shaw Bijou is all that I find to be embarrassing in the profession and world I am in everyday. Pardon my passion, but this is Paris Hilton. This is Real Housewives...this is our culture at our worst.

This isn't a celebration of food and wine and life. It's a celebration of one guys "story" and celebrity. It's mediocre food. It's vastly overpriced. It's so many things that I find offensive...that to actually speak my mind and share my opinion feels good. Feels calming. Feels cathartic. I can only hope that a meal for 2 in November or January or May 2017 (if they have opened yet or opened and then have since closed) feels half as good at quarter the price.(or some fraction of a fraction of a whole or what not)

*disclaimer: I have never seen Mozart so I cannot attest that they are markedly better than CREED. But a friend of a friend of mine that worked at '31 Flavors' told me that Mozart was bitchen'

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jonathan said:

at a price point so far out of whack of his experience, talent, and ability to execute that it takes a brave soul (not to charge as much as he is charging but) to call him out for his  bu!!$h!t.

You *are* a brave soul, but you crossed the line with this post into personal insult, and that's just not allowed here. You've got to resist the temptation to fall into this trap.

6 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Paul McCartney.

Paul Simon.

Rolling Stones.

front row at the Stone Roses.

Hamilton (over priced and over hyped)

where else? And is Kwame as accomplished as those acts?

Jonathan, believe me: I *get* where you're coming from. I know the sacrifices you've made, and that you have to sit back and watch "chefs" who are essentially *businessmen* make attempts to establish instant credibility by taking shortcuts and pulling a P.T. Barnum instead of putting in years of sacrifice, laboring under the tutelage of master teachers, or working long hours breaking inch-by-inch of new ground. I get it - don't you think I'm forced to do the exact same thing with my "peers?" But no matter how much you - or I - want to call individuals out, personal insults are just not allowed here, no matter who, what, or why, and if anyone ever sees me doing it (which I have indeed slipped and done before), I ask that they point it out to me instead of letting me continue to do it. Maintaining a kind, welcoming atmosphere here is more important than the ability to use it as a personal venting ground, even though it *kills* me sometimes not to. If this letter was addressed *just to you*, I would send it to you privately, but it's addressed to everybody - including to me.

Ironically, in your situation, it's unquestioning support of these charlatans by critics like me (not me personally) that allows it to happen. You bust your ass, and for what? Where's your praise? Where's your award? Where's your wealth and fame? You simply can't imagine how educated diners could betray hard-working artisans like you by gravitating towards the "next big thing."

Ironically, in my situation, it's complete lack of public support of me by chefs like you (not you personally) that allows it to happen. I bust my ass, and for what? Where's my praise? Where's my award? Where's my wealth and fame? I simply can't imagine how educated chefs could betray hard-working artists like me by sucking up to writers, devoid of talent, who work for publications influencing Joe Average.

Let's face it: We've both made conscious decisions to take the high road - the one without any shortcuts. It's the same situation, it works both ways, neither one of us is allowed to breach ethical boundaries by hurling personal insults and launching personal invectives, and it sucks just as much for me as it does for you.

And when you speak of the greatness of Mozart, why do you speak in the plural? His father was not a great talent. And why are you listing rock and roll acts when we're discussing artistic greatness?

• Like 3

Marty - I literally laughed out loud at your comment. I'm guessing it was the last two paragraphs that set you off. They definitely did it for me. I'm against HOT lanes in principle so there's a zero percent chance I'll apply to the club so I can hang out with "curated people". 

The last two paragraphs from the article:

Another component of the Shaw Bijou is a members-only club, slated to open on New Year’s Eve. Few details have been released, except that members will have 24-hour access to the space, and a private second-floor bar. While the concept sounds pricey, Gorsuch says dues “won’t be much—just enough to keep frat boys out.” He says a panel will ultimately pick members based on character and career over who can pay top dollar.

“It’s more about curating people, a social experiment” says Gorsuch. “We’re shooting to have people in different circles, because otherwise it’s going to become a boy’s lobbyist club, and that’s what we do not want. It will be more about seeing what people are doing in their industries, and putting them together.”

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bart said:
6 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

1) This place is going to be a failure of Ishtar proportions.

Or

2) This place will surprisingly be good.

Or

3) We are getting massively punked. Especially, Jonathan :)

My money is on number 3. This cannot be real. Can't wait for the reality show. 

Another component of the Shaw Bijou is a members-only club, slated to open on New Year’s Eve. Few details have been released, except that members will have 24-hour access to the space, and a private second-floor bar. While the concept sounds pricey, Gorsuch says dues “won’t be much—just enough to keep frat boys out.” He says a panel will ultimately pick members based on character and career over who can pay top dollar.

“It’s more about curating people, a social experiment” says Gorsuch. “We’re shooting to have people in different circles, because otherwise it’s going to become a boy’s lobbyist club, and that’s what we do not want. It will be more about seeing what people are doing in their industries, and putting them together.”

The same part of the article caught my eye as well Bart. And thank you for thinking of me, Simul.

Lucky for me, I am now living on the North Fork of Long Island, far removed from Kwame, Shaw Bijou, Michelin and Dining Guides. So, God bless everyone involved (and with all the talk of "social experiments" and "curating people") they will need all the blessings they can get.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

The same part of the article caught my eye as well Bart. And thank you for thinking of me, Simul.

Lucky for me, I am now living on the North Fork of Long Island, far removed from Kwame, Shaw Bijou, Michelin and Dining Guides. So, God bless everyone involved (and with all the talk of "social experiments" and "curating people") they will need all the blessings they can get.

Hope you and Carly are enjoying your new digs, Jonathan.  Between you guys and Julian, the North Fork is going to become the next great dining destination!  (And the whole trip, with dinners, will cost less than a ticket to the Shaw Bijou.) 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jonathan said:

22 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Hope you and Carly are enjoying your new digs, Jonathan.  Between you guys and Julian, the North Fork is going to become the next great dining destination!  (And the whole trip, with dinners, will cost less than a ticket to the Shaw Bijou.) 

And please remember, we're *always* going to be here, representing North Fork just as strongly as Manhattan. We don't have "subscribers" to please, or "demographics" to worry about.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2016 at 9:05 AM, Bart said:

Marty - I literally laughed out loud at your comment. I'm guessing it was the last two paragraphs that set you off. They definitely did it for me. I'm against HOT lanes in principle so there's a zero percent chance I'll apply to the club so I can hang out with "curated people". 

The last two paragraphs from the article:

“It’s more about curating people, a social experiment” says Gorsuch. “We’re shooting to have people in different circles, because otherwise it’s going to become a boy’s lobbyist club, and that’s what we do not want. It will be more about seeing what people are doing in their industries, and putting them together.

This is absolutely amazing.  Gorsuch may be one of the more tone deaf people around.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gadarene said:

This is absolutely amazing.  Gorsuch may be one of the more tone deaf people around.

Not if the intended audience for his statements are the well-heeled folks, with oodles of disposable income, who assume they will be admitted to the club!

• Like 1

I had a fried who belonged to Gtown Club.  It was great to throw Christmas parties in law school and etc.  But he is very old school for his age.  But we enjoyed it.  We were members of the Washington Club for a short period of time, but they never threw events when we would like to go- Halloween, NYE, etc.  And of course are no more now.  I think without it being a country club or having more perks than just a space to use and potential connections, they are having a hard time surviving.  They really want young members, but don't know how to get them.  I think Georgetown Club has been better than others at this.  I think in the age of tiny housing- they should be stressing the ability to host more people than your condo can seat, etc.

1 hour ago, Simul Parikh said:

Do people actually belong to these types of clubs any more? Like George Town Club or Cosmos? Or is it just the super old?

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

I had a fried who belonged to Gtown Club.  It was great to throw Christmas parties in law school and etc.  But he is very old school for his age.  But we enjoyed it.  We were members of the Washington Club for a short period of time, but they never threw events when we would like to go- Halloween, NYE, etc.  And of course are no more now.  I think without it being a country club or having more perks than just a space to use and potential connections, they are having a hard time surviving.  They really want young members, but don't know how to get them.  I think Georgetown Club has been better than others at this.  I think in the age of tiny housing- they should be stressing the ability to host more people than your condo can seat, etc.

Having been a member at the University Club for a few years, some aspects were surprising, others not so much.  Yes, there is an old guard.  And I completely agree that yes, they want more younger members and tend to completely miss the mark on recruiting other demographics, including age groups.  That being said, there are a surprising number of members under 35, with dedicated groups and activities for that audience.

Don - there may be potential here for a 'private clubs' thread, IF people are willing to post (even as a former member I'm somewhat hesitant to criticize).

To bring this back to SB - this seems to be the trend in private clubs these days.  People are becoming less interested in pulling out the jacket to go sit in a formal dining room eating country club food to see and be seen.  They want a place to go 'hang out' where they feel comfortable and included.  Where you can do work, get a drink, maybe work out (though that doesn't seem to be the case here) in a relaxing environment.  Mr. Gorsuch's description of their offering in this area is somewhat horrible, but if done well, these 'clubs' can be quite successful and not seem quite as douchey as he makes it sound.  

P.s. there was a recent article in a major magazine about this trend that, for the life of me, I cannot find.  If anyone knows what I'm referring to please post - it's driving me batty.

59 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

Not if the intended audience for his statements are the well-heeled folks, with oodles of disposable income, who assume they will be admitted to the club!

I'm more talking about how Shaw Bijou has been ridiculed for being pretentious, douchey, exclusionary, and expensive, and they double down by offering a totally different thing that is pretentious, douchey, exclusionary, and expensive.

I don't think I would get along with the guy, is all.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, genericeric said:

To bring this back to SB - this seems to be the trend in private clubs these days.  People are becoming less interested in pulling out the jacket to go sit in a formal dining room eating country club food to see and be seen.  They want a place to go 'hang out' where they feel comfortable and included.  Where you can do work, get a drink, maybe work out (though that doesn't seem to be the case here) in a relaxing environment.

Im not quite sure how this differs from a country club. Work out? Get a drink? "Hang out and feel included?" 

Do you mind clarifying this just a bit. Thank you.

Maybe like the "third space" that a lot of places try to create (a coffee shop, the local pub)? Maybe it's a fraternity for people no longer in college? I don't know... tough these days with work, friends/family, relationship, trying to be physically active. It seems more fit for a past era when dudes would go to work and then go to the club, b/c they didn't have domestic responsibilities. The good old days. But, it would be kind of nice if they had a gym and a little bar / socializing space. 

3 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Do people actually belong to these types of clubs any more? Like George Town Club or Cosmos? Or is it just the super old?

Uhhh, yes.

2 hours ago, genericeric said:

Having been a member at the University Club for a few years, some aspects were surprising, others not so much.  Yes, there is an old guard.  And I completely agree that yes, they want more younger members and tend to completely miss the mark on recruiting other demographics, including age groups.  That being said, there are a surprising number of members under 35, with dedicated groups and activities for that audience.

Don - there may be potential here for a 'private clubs' thread, IF people are willing to post (even as a former member I'm somewhat hesitant to criticize).

To bring this back to SB - this seems to be the trend in private clubs these days.  People are becoming less interested in pulling out the jacket to go sit in a formal dining room eating country club food to see and be seen.  They want a place to go 'hang out' where they feel comfortable and included.  Where you can do work, get a drink, maybe work out (though that doesn't seem to be the case here) in a relaxing environment.  Mr. Gorsuch's description of their offering in this area is somewhat horrible, but if done well, these 'clubs' can be quite successful and not seem quite as douchey as he makes it sound.  

P.s. there was a recent article in a major magazine about this trend that, for the life of me, I cannot find.  If anyone knows what I'm referring to please post - it's driving me batty.

Great response. I'm a member of a couple of places listed in this thread and a couple which weren't (and would not post anything here critical of them, even in a private club thread). I totally agree with your assessment of the formal dining room aspect of things. I think that the clubs that are successful do a good job of the following:

-  providing workout facilities not generally offered at health clubs in the city (see squash and swimming for example)

-  provide varying content to members (lectures, wine dinners, scotch dinners, toastmasters, etc etc etc)

- offer below market accomodations (especially useful for family in town) and reciprocal priveleges in other cities

Interestingly, the older line clubs do a much better job of the above than the corporate "ClubCorp" ones - which have a shorter shelf life and are membership revolving doors. And, while I haven't encountered anyone douchey at the places I go, the Shaw Bijou's take on a "club" sounds like a nightmare. But, as the great Nate Diaz said "I'm not surprised..."

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Im not quite sure how this differs from a country club. Work out? Get a drink? "Hang out and feel included?" 

Do you mind clarifying this just a bit. Thank you.

I suppose that depends on the definition of country club that you adhere to - when I think of country club, I think of large facilities, associated with golf courses, in more suburban areas.  I have described organizations like the Metropolitan Club and University Club as country clubs without the golf course in the past.  The trend I was referencing is a more casual vibe (jackets most definitely not required), almost a 'hang out' more than anything, with fitness and sporting activities being more of a bonus than a requirement.

agreed on Gorsuch's tone deafness. I get how he's trying to toe the line between wanting 25-40 year old professionals to be interested while staying hip/hipster/trendy, but I think he managed to piss off both groups in those quotes.

Eater has some high quality photos out today.

with the pricing backlash and his executive chef quitting and publicly dissing him, Kwame basically has all his eggs in the Sietsema basket, I think. if his food (and everything else about TSB) is amazing like the places he's worked before and Sietsema publishes a glowing four star review, he may sell out December/January immediately. maybe he succeeds wildly and is in a great place going into 2k17 Michelin ratings.

but I really think that's his only success route. a scathing review from Sietsema and he may not be around for Michelin season next year. everything needs to be perfect starting Wednesday -- no room for fuck ups. no room for growing pains.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, franch said:

with the pricing backlash and his executive chef quitting and publicly dissing him, Kwame basically has all his eggs in the Sietsema basket,

Where did you read about the exec chef quitting?  I don't recall hearing that (unless it was 2 years ago when this place was first announced!)

16 minutes ago, Bart said:

Where did you read about the exec chef quitting?  I don't recall hearing that (unless it was 2 years ago when this place was first announced!)

not only did he quit but he publicly dissed Kwame on the way out. upon reading, it was exec sous chef (not in the industry, so if that's a different position I apologize).

"Anything you'll get at Shaw Bijou you can get [at Barrel] for a third of the price," Ellish says, explaining he and Onwuachi take a similar approach to cooking. "We pull food from the same places. Memories and our interpretation of it. We're not waving magic wands and making crazy food. We take a base dish and tweak it a little bit. Super easy."

• Like 3

Vintage cocktail glasses are chilled to-order with liquid nitrogen.

This is the cutting edge variety of extravagant double-dog going-around-you-ass-to-get-to-your-elbow wizardry that separates the wheat from the chaff and disposable duckets from sheltered patrons. Conventionally chilled glasses using electricity are the keystone of banality and decidedly not the same kind of “cool”. 

This elite squad has been goofed on from every angle and medium but they have deep, gilded coffers and reliable roster of cheerleaders.  It is an astutely choreographed allegory to the decadence, denial and hopeless hype that has macerated the last 18 months of American pop-culture and history.  They’ll do just fine, balance their budget*, replace Obamacare and can always blame biased detractors for exaggerating expectations if they flop. 

Considering the premium price tags, there is a potentially fatal flaw in such a business model and theory.  Good luck to sirs, nonetheless.

• Like 2