Best Meals of 2015 in DC, VA, or MD - What Were Yours?

ktmoomau

Definitely the meal we had at Convivial a week or so ago. Cedric Maupillier stopped by at our table and went over the entire menu with us, answering every question and telling us about his vision for the restaurant. I think we talked for almost an hour. The food itself was amazing too, especially the celery root latkes, beef tartare and fried chicken coq au vin. We left pleasantly full and can't wait to go back. Meeting the chef made it all the more special (thanks Don for setting that up)!

Are you looking for best meal in DC and best meal in MD and best meal in VA of just best in the local area?  I suspect it's the latter.

In one respect it would simplify it if you were looking for 3 picks, because I think I only had one meal in MD this year and it was a great one.  The CA vs France wine dinner at Grapeseed.

Picking a "best overall" will be much harder and require some brain power.

• Like 1

First Place (by a landslide): Komi.  Spectacular meal topped off with the tamarind lamb neck and pork with cracklin for the main entree course.

Second Place:  Izakaya Seki.  You can close your eyes and point at the menu and it will be tasty.  The saba...

Honorable Mentions:  Red Hen.  Bar Civita.  Iron Gate.

• Like 1

Best meals you had in the local area was what I was thinking, but really respond how you like, just thought it would be fun to have a recap.

Fortunately and unfortunately, I think my two favorite meals were both cooked by RJ Cooper at Gypsy Soul and Rogue 24.

I too think Bar Civita gets a very honorable mention.

My birthday meal, alone at the bar at Marcel's in January. Hands down one of the best experiences I've had in this area, food included and definitely my best meal in this area in 2015.

Was thinking of repeating it this year, but am afraid it can't live up to the expectations since it was so awesome last year. :)

• Like 1