Sushi Seki, A Mini-Chain with Sushi, Oyster Bar, and Omakase in Several Manhattan Locations

Tried Sushi Seki based on proximity to the show we were going to (Allegiance, starring George Takei about the Japanese American experience during WWII) and the desire to try some of NYC's reputed best sushi. They have seatings as late as 11:00 for dining so had my dining partners not wanted this, I would have been able to go on my own after the show.

The other three in my party got the pre-theatre menu which they all enjoyed, but also needed to get some extra sushi to supplement in order to be filled. 

The omakase sushi selection came with 16 pieces brought out in groups of four, plus one hand roll. All the varieties were tasty, but this is by no means traditional sushi. It is more along the lines of creative sushi with garnishes such as jalapeno, tomato, and tempura. There is not a diversity of fish, more diversity of preparation. Chu toro made multiple appearances as did salmon and hamachi. Everything was very fresh, highlight was probably the uni which was like butter. Low was probably the closing hand roll which was a spicy scallop. I really detest the use of spiciness in sushi as it masks the taste of the fresh fish which is what I really want to taste, and putting the spice on a scallop which should highlight the sweetness of the scallop is disappointing. Impressive about the handroll was how quickly they got it to the table after being made because the nori was perfectly crisp.

At $130 for 16 pieces and and hand roll, I felt it was worth it from the perspective of creativity that went into the creations, but I would much rather spend that $130 at Sushi Taro in DC for their omakase which is in a more traditional style and in addition to the sushi being more diverse, also features additional dishes as part of the omakase.

The a la carte menu appears to be pretty reasonable given the high end trappings. Things like edamame are available for what I would expect at any Japanese restaurant.

I just had hot tea, but they purport to have an extensive drink menu.

Surprising was that it was not very crowded, though we were there very early in the evening with a 5:45 reservation and were out by 7:30.

• Like 1

I just feel I should chime in.....

Sushi Seki is quite good, at least from when I have gone, but it is definitely not the best sushi in New York. Sushi Yasuda and Sushi Nakazawa probably deserve that title. Others as well may I add. 15 East also would be higher then Sushi Seki as well. Though I must say I do quite like Sushi Seki and Sushi of Gari which in my opinion are similarish yet def not da bestttttt. I mebbe missing others as I haven't lived fully in NYC for a few years nowwwww....