Private Room for 12-15, Excellent Wine List (or Corkage?), Only Moderately Expensive, with Impressive Food

squidsdc

A friend has asked for suggestions and while I have a few ideas on restaurants, I don't know wine lists...so recs that fit the description below would be appreciated!

Thx!

"ATTN: DC PEEPS
I'm requesting recommendations for DC restaurants with private rooms for approx 12-15 ppl. Excellent wine list, maybe Italian..? Not over-the-top, but definitely a place that leaves an impression."

Thanks Don and Bart. I don't know her specification for cost-not sure "moderately priced" is a factor or not. She got back to me and said that what she means by not over the top is that she is NOT looking for a trendy-focus on decor and bar scene.

Kinship being so new, I don't know where that fits in to the picture?

I don't *think* Kinship would qualify as "trendy-focus on décor". It's contemporary and classy, I think.

There's a photo in this article of the room. It's a little darker when you're there compared to how it looks in the photo, but not too dark. In fact, it's one of the better lit places I've been to a long time.

Here's a photo that I took that's a nearly identical to the shot in the above article. Mine is a little more accurate on the lighting (no flash used). I think that dark vertical bar on the right side is where the room is divided. My recollection is there was some sort of track on the ceiling (although I don't see it in this pic) or some other thing that made me think that that part of the room could be closed off as a private area.

post-3390-0-48525200-1455281329_thumb.jp

On Dino's, I don't focus on it visually but I don't recall it naturally laying out for private dining.  On the other hand if you made a reservation for a group in advance its possible that they could reconfigure, give you tables in the back, possibly put up a screen.  On the Italian, on the wine side and on pricing it meets your needs and the food and friendliness leave a great impression.

A second suggestion (that misses many of your desires):   Rays Steaks in Arlington.  It has nooks and cranny's that easily provide separate if not entirely private dining.  It works well.  Pricing is dramatically better than most steak houses.  I'm not expert on wines so I can't comment, though I recently read from one Rockwellian they thought the wine list was not as great as in the past.

(A lot of the corporate "expense account restaurants" have private rooms and from what I understand wonderful wine lists...but they are expensive needless to say).

Casa Luca has private dining.  I've enjoyed dining there.  Others I've been with have loved the wines...but I can't speak to the richness depth or value of the wine list.  Its a convenient downtown location at 11th and NY Ave, NW.  Pricier than Dino's.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:33 AM, robyn said:

Piggybacking on this - I'm looking for something similar for 20 with just a couple of week's notice. Any suggestions? Not too concerned about price point.

Thank you! 

Corduroy.  You can't go wrong with Corduroy.  My husband's company held a private event there a couple of weeks ago and it was perfect in every way.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2016 at 2:22 PM, Bart said:

I'll resubmit my nomination for Kinship.  Their private room can hold 20, but I don't know if you can get it on a couple weeks notice.

Thank you! Unfortunately Kinship can't do it but Métier is an option. Worth the $200?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robyn said:

Thank you! Unfortunately Kinship can't do it but Métier is an option. Worth the $200?

Who's your target audience?  Are they sufficiently gourmand that they'll appreciate Metier?  Or, will it be lost on them?

Just now, LauraB said:

Who's your target audience?  Are they sufficiently gourmand that they'll appreciate Metier?  Or, will it be lost on them?

That is a very helpful framing, thank you. It's a mixed bag. Some guests are sufficiently gourmand but others decidedly less so. 

17 hours ago, robyn said:

That is a very helpful framing, thank you. It's a mixed bag. Some guests are sufficiently gourmand but others decidedly less so. 

In that case, I'd go with Corduroy.  It will be appreciated by the more culinarily sophisticated, while not challenging the less so beyond their limits.  My opinion.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LauraB said:

In that case, I'd go with Corduroy.  It will be appreciated by the more culinarily sophisticated, while not challenging the less so beyond their limits.  My opinion.

I am in accord with your opinion of the Michelin one-star (by French standards) Corduroy.

On 12/4/2016 at 6:35 PM, LauraB said:

So, where did you end up?  And, how was it?

Sorry for my very delayed reply to this. We ended up at Plume at the Jefferson as it was close to the conference. The meal was enjoyable and the service was excellent. I worked with MJ in booking the dinner and she was a pleasure. I had given her the wrong date of the dinner (was juggling scheduling too many dinners...) and she was wonderful in helping to fix my mistake. We ended up in the wine cellar, and my clients were very happy with the location as well as the food.