Drift on 7th - Owner Ferhat Yalcin's New, Fresh Start for FishNet in Shaw - This Time, We've Got You Covered - Closed

After a few drinks at the Passenger, my friend and I walked to Drift for dinner. I was amazed and so happy to see that the place was completely packed. Fortunately, we lucked out as two people were vacating their seats at the bar shortly after we arrived so we did not have to wait to find seats. While Drift is participating in Restaurant Week, my friend and I weren't that hungry and decided to split an appetizer and order our own entree. 

We started with the tuna tartare which was served on top of diced avocado and topped with shallots, capers, and a few house fried chips. The tuna was on par with tuna I have had at places like Sushi Capitol and Izakaya Seki, which is to say it was really really fresh and of high quality. I could have eaten my body weight in Ferhat's tuna tartare. I will have to go back for more soon. My friend ordered the fish tacos for her entree while I ordered the lobster roll. I didn't have any fish tacos but my friend assured me they were delicious. The lobster roll was amazing with lots of large hunks of lobster lightly dressed with tarragon mayo and tossed with some celery. It could have used a touch of salt, but given the fact that I devoured the sandwich in a few bites, I really can't complain. 

I love that this place is showing what fresh seafood is all about and I am so that others in DC have figured this out as well, at least on this Friday evening. 

• Like 8

On 2/15/2016 at 11:45 PM, DonRocks said:

Can we have a dr.com dinner? If so, how many people max, and when?

I'm implementing mandatory rules for this one: carryout sandwicjes to take home - in addition to dinner - are a minimum requirement for attendance.

Did this dinner come to fruition? If so, awesome, if not, doesn't hurt to gather another!!  

See you soo, Ferhat!

Corduroy family,

kat

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, eatruneat said:

This news comes as a shock to me. I worked with the Ferhat at Corduroy for a few years, and hold him in high regard. I have never met someone who embodied good hospitality the way he did. He is a class act. Whenever I would find myself back in DC, I would always pop in for dinner at Corduroy. A few months ago, I had dinner at a  different spot. I went to support an old friend. I am sure this decision was a difficult one for him, but I doubt this will be the last we will see of my good friend. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ktmoomau said:

Best of luck to him in all his forthcoming ventures!!!

Pretty sure that only Drift is closing; Fishnet in College Park remains open.

I can't say why he had to close, but the rent in that space must have been tremendous, and it doesn't feel like he was able to get enough business at a high enough ticket price to keep it going.

• Like 1