Some of the local highlights in national categories: Dabney, Kinship.  RdV in the WSB Professional category.

Local lowlights: Zero DC chefs nominated for Outstanding Chef or Rising Star.

Absolutely must include Jim Law of Linden.  RDV, Glen Manor, Delaplane and three or four others have their roots with Jim.  His '10 Boisseau is the best red wine ever made in VA ('01 Octagon is second best).  His '14 Hardscrabble Chardonnay received 94 points from the Wine Advocate which is the highest rating that ANY Va wine has ever received from any publication.  (The '10 Boisseau was 93 from the WE).  Luca from Barboursville should be mentioned in this also.

I will make the serious argument that the overall best wine region in the state of VA is in the area west of DC from Delaplane to Linden to Front Royal.  Jim Law started in the mid '80's and has steered its development.

I have deep respect and appreciation for Rutger who makes superb wine and his passion (I have several cases of '09 and '10 Lost Mountain and Roundezvous as well as the '08 which was made at Linden.)  But I believe that Jim Law justly deserves appreciation, credit and recognition for a "movement" that he has spent almost 30 years leading.

• Like 4

Absolutely must include Jim Law of Linden.  RDV, Glen Manor, Delaplane and three or four others have their roots with Jim.  His '10 Boisseau is the best red wine ever made in VA ('01 Octagon is second best).  His '14 Hardscrabble Chardonnay received 94 points from the Wine Advocate which is the highest rating that ANY Va wine has ever received from any publication.  (The '10 Boisseau was 93 from the WE).  Luca from Barboursville should be mentioned in this also.

I will make the serious argument that the overall best wine region in the state of VA is in the area west of DC from Delaplane to Linden to Front Royal.  Jim Law started in the mid '80's and has steered its development.

I have deep respect and appreciation for Rutger who makes superb wine and his passion (I have several cases of '09 and '10 Lost Mountain and Roundezvous as well as the '08 which was made at Linden.)  But I believe that Jim Law justly deserves appreciation, credit and recognition for a "movement" that he has spent almost 30 years leading.

First - how do I become your friend and get to share this wonderful wine collection?

Second, totally agree with this thought.  After coming to DC, I thought VA wine was - bluntly - crap.  Until my new girlfriend and I went on a first date to Linden.That was nearly twenty years ago and I've loved revisiting Linden every year to see how Jim Law's wine making has developed and changed.  He's been at this thirty years and just keeps finding slight tweaks to get that marginal improvement in wines that already stand out not only in the region but for any part of the country.Here's to thirty more.

I think part of the reason that recognition has been extended grudgingly has been his staunch resistance to the vineyard tourism portion of the business.  While I don't begrudge some of the vineyards capitalizing on what are some amazing views and landscapes, I have to respect the total dedication to wine making that drove this spirit.  Plus it means we always have a seat on the deck when we go.

• Like 2