What Are You Binge-Watching?

Ericandblueboy

I've never had premium cable (but I have Netflix) until someone gave me access to Xfinity. Now I have to lots of shows to pick from.

Years ago I watched Rome and loved it. I also love Game of Thrones, Deadwood, first season of True Detective, Spartacus, Marco Polo, House of Cards, and DaVinci's Demons.

I'm currently watching True Blood (season 5).

I couldn't get into The Wire, never tried to watch Sopranos, gave up on Vikings, Borgia, and Tudors. Not crazy about any of the Marvel shows on Netflix (Jessica Jones, Daredevil).

Just wondering what shows merit my attention after I finish watching Bloodsuckers.

Battlestar Galactica (if you like Sci Fi)

The Wire is excellent, how far did you go into the series?

I didn't get past the first episode. Didn't like the characters. I'll probably check out Battlestar Galactica as I liked the original series. I watched the first season of Dark Matters, which for a low-budget sci-fi show, has an interesting plot.

The Sopranos is fantastic. Having seen the episodes multiple times, I always notice something new if I re-re-rewatch.

Narcos is a good one to watch. It's a 10 part series on Pablo Escobar who was making something like $60 million dollars A DAY in the height of his business.

I just discovered The Mind Of A Chef on PBS which I think has 4 seasons, but the shows are only a half hour so you can knock them off quickly.

My husband and I watched several episodes of "Master of None" on Netflix last weekend and enjoyed it. I also really liked "The Affair" on Showtime. About a year ago we watched all of "Bloodline" on Netflix in a couple of weekends.

I agree "The Sopranos" was great (as was "The Wire"). My husband likes "Archer," but it's not really my cup of tea. Of course there's also "Mad Men," which I loved.

---

"Narcos" (DonRocks)

"Broadchurch" (bettyjoan)

Amy Schumer was mentioned above. If you appreciate a twisted sense of humor, you gotta check out her show.

Key and Peele is another great show. Sketch comedy but very inventive and funny.

In a completely different direction is the first season of True Detective from HBO. Amazing acting performances from Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. I know that sentence seems strange, but it's true. You'll never look at them the same way again. This is another show that benefits from multiple watchings......you pick up so much more the second time around, and the episodes are so good that you want to rewatch them anyway.

If you have access to Justified, i recommend it.  Timothy Oliphant (who I guess was in Deadwood), as Deputy US Marshal in Kentucky.  Based on Elmore Leonard stories and universe.  The good guys are half bad, the bad guys are a quarter good, everybody speaks beautifully and poetically.  Semi-organized crime in rural America.  There were five or six seasons on FX network, and it's over now, but available through most streaming places I think.

---

Breaking Bad (dz50)

• Like 1

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

The year is 1806. England is beleaguered by the long war with Napoleon, and centuries have passed since practical magicians faded into the nation's past. But scholars of this glorious history discover that one remains: the reclusive Mr Norrell whose displays of magic send a thrill through the country. Proceeding to London, he raises a beautiful woman from the dead and summons an army of ghostly ships to terrify the French. Yet the cautious, fussy Norrell is challenged by the emergence of another magician: the brilliant novice Jonathan Strange. Young, handsome and daring, Strange is the very opposite of Norrell. So begins a dangerous battle between these two great men which overwhelms the one between England and France. And their own obsessions and secret dabblings with the dark arts are going to cause more trouble than they can imagine.

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Moderately faithful to the book, but where I thought the book's pacing was excellent, the miniseries seemed to plod along at key points. Worth seeing, but read the book first. Aside: the unabridged audio recording is fabulous.

Did anyone watch "The Night Of" on HBO? Very dark and depressing but very good (though had some clunky moments). Of course I couldn't really binge watch it because I had to wait for the next episode each week, but I'm guessing all the episodes are available for streaming now on HBO Go.

On 2/18/2016 at 0:55 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Just wondering what shows merit my attention after I finish watching Bloodsuckers.

Right now, I'm power watching Season One of "The Outer Limits." I hope someone remembers an episode or two, and discusses them over there (it's available for free to Hulu subscribers). It's a great series, and the clunkers come from when they have really *bad* special effects (some, like "The Zanti Misfits" (Se 1 Ep 14), are fantastic; others, like "The Mice" (Se 1, Ep 15) are just awful), or else rely on dated technology as the "interesting focal point" (such as "Controlled Experiment" (Se 1, Ep 16), although even "Controlled Experiment" is fascinating because it co-stars Carroll O'Connor, i.e., "Archie Bunker"); other than those two calamitous situations, it's a fantastic science fiction series, at least in Season One, with about a 75% "hit" rate - I can certainly advise you on which episodes to avoid, but it's kind of fun watching the entire season as well - if anyone wants to know the good from the bad, I can "rate" them in a matter of minutes vis-a-vis each other, and you'll have a pretty accurate rating. Hope to see you all over there - gets kind of lonely talking to myself. ^_^

On 12/9/2016 at 9:54 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Penny Dreadful is fantastic, literally.

Magical Realism?

Sort of like this? I'm not sure why this phrase resonated with me so much, but I love it:

On 11/27/2016 at 8:22 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Chinese people are used to sharing, even a single grain of rice can be shared by an entire village.

I just watched "The OA" on Netflix. I'm usually turned off by anything along the lines of sci fi or fantasy, but I was pretty enthralled. Now I'm a few episodes into "The Crown," also on Netflix, which is excellent. Historical dramas are much more in my wheelhouse.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dracisk said:

I just watched "The OA" on Netflix. I'm usually turned off by anything along the lines of sci fi or fantasy, but I was pretty enthralled. Now I'm a few episodes into "The Crown," also on Netflix, which is excellent. Historical dramas are much more in my wheelhouse.

Men Who Built America is by far one of the most informative,binge worthy series I have found to date.

If this was the only available show to watch, I can honestly say I would not be disappointed.

Curiosity did not kill this,

kat

• Like 1

Oh- and for anyone that likes shows on PBS- their new Passport subscription is really nice.  You get it with any donation over $60 in a calendar year (monthly or a one-time gift), and I highly recommend it!  I had missed some Masterpiece episodes of some shows I liked and have been able to go back and watch them, and all while donating to what I think has been very good programming the past number of years.

3% on Netflix is a fun Brazilian series that's like a better Hunger Games.  I prefer to watch the original Portuguese with subtitles (but, I speak Portuguese).  There is an English dubbed version as well.

The team behind "Better Call Saul" has fairly earned the benefit of the doubt, for both this and BB, but this season seems to be losing momentum: Saul's story line is becoming increasingly tedious and overall the show more dependent Mike's arc (which I guess is ok). 

I recently binged Season 2 of HBO's "The Leftovers" (critical consensus is skipping Season 1 doesnt lose you much). Ends with Season 3 - currently airing.

After a year away, also catching up on "The Americans" Season 4.

3 minutes ago, saxdrop said:

The team behind "Better Call Saul" has fairly earned the benefit of the doubt, for both this and BB, but this season seems to be losing momentum:

Oh, shoot! I haven't watched the current season of "Better Call Saul" yet. I'm sorry to hear it may be going downhill.

I've caught bits and pieces of "The Leftovers," and it seems WEIRD. Balki?? I know some people really like it, though.

11 minutes ago, dracisk said:

Balki??

No, Cousin Larry! Also, yes it is odd, but I was all in on the premise before i even started watching. Religious scholar Reza Aslan is a consultant on the show which I think (based on interviews with showrunner Damon Lindelof) adds some subtle and unintuitive implications to what could easily feel gimmicky. Ex: how does a person deal with loss when they are denied the millennia-old rituals of grieving? Maybe as much of an indictment as an endorsement, Lindelof is indeed one of the creative forces behind "Lost." I think this show maintains the best parts while leaving behind the worst.

• Like 1