Dean Street - Charming, Neighborhood, Southern-American Gathering Place on Dean Street and Underhill Avenue in Prospect Heights

Dean Street is the friendly and charming corner neighborhood restaurant that other cities do so well, and DC does not.

Walking into the bar room, taking a seat at a round corner table awash with morning sunlight, you want to belong here, to have the staff know your name.  You can just envision coming in mid-week, having a beer at the bar, chatting with the bartender, and maybe watching some of the game on TV.  If every customer was within a 6 or 7 block walk, I wouldn't be surprised.

Now let's not get overblown, the food was good but not great.  But one doesn't really care.  It's about being in the neighborhood.

The menu skews southern/New Orleans:  gumbo, shrimp & grits, and lots of biscuits.  Crawfish, Andouille Sausage, Cream Cheese Omelet with Home Fries (they could work on their home fries) was a tasty mess.  The sort of thing a hangover cries out for.  The Bloody Mary was top notch, also hangover worthy.  The biscuits topped with poached eggs and mushroom gravy was perhaps too rich, and the sweet potato hash topped with eggs was enjoyed by the vegetarian contingent.

If Dean Street was a couple blocks from my apartment, it would be my local.

post-2-0-56049000-1457436999_thumb.png

This is a review from a recent visit, right? If so, I'm happy to see it, as it represents the food after Simon Glenn left as chef. He's the guy who stepped in to establish a great N.Orleans kitchen when the place was reeling a little from changes in the kitchen & one of the partners leaving. He was the guy behind the pop up Tchoup Shop. At any rate, we've been there a # of times and really like hanging out at the bar, but we've only been once (right) after Simon left.... still good then, but we've been gone for the winter. This is a real good neighborhood place that deserves support. Glad you found it.

Yes, a visit from this past weekend.  walking in, the front bar room is very inviting.  If I lived in that neighborhood, I could see myself spending a lot of time at that bar.  Like I said, the food was solidly good and everyone enjoyed their meal.  The staff was friendly and low-key.  Just seemed like a very nice neighborhood spot on the corner.  And again, DC doesn't really do little corner neighborhood spots very well.  

Yes, a visit from this past weekend.  walking in, the front bar room is very inviting.  If I lived in that neighborhood, I could see myself spending a lot of time at that bar.  Like I said, the food was solidly good and everyone enjoyed their meal.  The staff was friendly and low-key.  Just seemed like a very nice neighborhood spot on the corner.  And again, DC doesn't really do little corner neighborhood spots very well.  

Bayou on Pennsylvania Avenue in West End seems about as close as I can get to what you're describing, but I've never been a regular there so I don't know how welcoming it is.The food is good, and I've never left unhappy, but I have serious doubts it has the "Cheers-like" atmosphere which you describe here.