Housing Works Bookstore and Cafe, Nonprofit Cafe and Bookstore Devoted to Ending Homelessness and AIDS - Broadway-Lafayette St. Station in North SoHo

This is the sort of place you learn about and then keep in your back pocket, a quirky, one-of-a-kind type place that you keep coming back to over and over again.

Housing Works is a nonprofit devoted to a "healing community of people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS. Our mission is to end the dual crises of homelessness and AIDS through relentless advocacy, the provision of lifesaving services, and entrepreneurial businesses that sustain our efforts."  To help fund their activities, they run a bookstore and cafe (as well as a chain of thrift stores) where merchandise is donated and the staff is mostly volunteers.  For lovers of used bookstores, this is your place.

The cafe serves your typical bookstore menu: sandwiches, soups, and salads.  But the bread is provided by Balthazar Bakery, dairy from Hudson Valley Fresh, coffee from Intelligentsia, beer includes selections from Brooklyn Brewery and Sixpoint.

Great cause, great bookstore.  I only wish I had had more time to poke around the vinyl bins.

post-2-0-35985300-1457537348_thumb.png

• Like 2

Martin, I cant tell you how much I appreciate you having posted this.

Enjoying yourself, and helping others at the same time - that's the way the world should work, and *could* work, if only we thought about the well-being of others 5% as much as we think about the well-being of ourselves.

---

"You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one."

-- John Lennon