Tomb of the Unknowns (1921) - Arlington National Cemetery's Monument to the United States' Unidentified War Dead

DonRocks

On Mar 4, 1921, Congress approved the burial of an unidentified American soldier from World War I (U.S. Involvement: 1916-1918). The unknown soldier was brought back from France on 11/11/21, and was buried at the bottom of a three-level marble tomb.

Since then, the tomb area has come to represent all American war dead, with the marble plaque reading, "Here Rests In Honored Glory An American Soldier, Known But To God."

The tomb guards are members of the Third Infantry Regiment, United States Army. The soldier walking the mat does not wear a rank insignia, so he will not outrank the unknown. The first 24-hour guarding began at midnight, Jul 2, 1937, and has continued uninterrupted ever since, for over 78 years.

From Apr 1 - Sep 30, the Changing of the Guard Ceremony takes place every 30 minutes (I recommend arriving either at 20-past or 50-past the hour). Please watch in complete silence, and stand (if you can), removing your hat, when instructed to do so. From Oct 1 - Mar 30, the Ceremony occurs every 2 hours - the Ceremony can be viewed by the public whenever Arlington National Cemetery is open.

I have witnessed this Ceremony at least a half-dozen times, and it is near the top of my list for things to do with out-of-town visitors. Not once have I ever been less than enthralled with the Ceremony. Warning: It is something of a hike from the parking area, so consider taking the TourMobile (although in full disclosure I've never done that, so I can't vouch for it one way or the other).

Here are some useful websites for visitors:

"Plan Your Visit" on arlingtoncemetery.mil

"Tomb of the Unknown Soldier" on tombguard.org

"Tomb of the Unknowns" on wikipedia.com

• Like 1

On Mar 4, 1921, Congress approved the burial of an unidentified American soldier from World War I (U.S. Involvement: 1916-1918). The unknown soldier was brought back from France on 11/11/21, and was buried at the bottom of a three-level marble tomb.

Since then, the tomb area has come to represent all American war dead, with the marble plaque reading, "Here Rests In Honored Glory An American Soldier, Known But To God."

The tomb guards are members of the Third Infantry Regiment, United States Army. The soldier walking the mat does not wear a rank insignia, so he will not outrank the unknown. The first 24-hour guarding began at midnight, Jul 2, 1937, and has continued uninterrupted ever since, for over 78 years.

From Apr 1 - Sep 30, the Changing of the Guard Ceremony takes place every 30 minutes (I recommend arriving either at 20-past or 50-past the hour). Please watch in complete silence, and stand (if you can), removing your hat, when instructed to do so. From Oct 1 - Mar 30, the Ceremony occurs every 2 hours - the Ceremony can be viewed by the public whenever Arlington National Cemetery is open.

I have witnessed this Ceremony at least a half-dozen times, and it is near the top of my list for things to do with out-of-town visitors. Not once have I ever been less than enthralled with the Ceremony. Warning: It is something of a hike from the parking area, so consider taking the TourMobile (although in full disclosure I've never done that, so I can't vouch for it one way or the other).

Here are some useful websites for visitors:

"Plan Your Visit" on arlingtoncemetery.mil

"Tomb of the Unknown Soldier" on tombguard.org

"Tomb of the Unknowns" on wikipedia.com

I have lived in the suburbs my entire life and visited almost every tourist site in the city (my mom and I used to ride the metro when I was off of school) and I have never for some reason visited Arlington Cemetery.  I should change that in 2016.

Something I've always wondered: When the cemetery is closed to the public (after hours, or from Oct 1 - Mar 30), is there any ceremony involved, or do the guards merely change without ceremony? I suspect the latter, since the ceremony is mostly for the public; the important thing for the deceased soldiers is the fact that their tombs are guarded (and thus honored). Still, I've never seen anything written about this.

I cannot imagine they go through the full rigor of the changing ceremony at 3 AM - what would be the point?

I love that these soldiers are honored to the degree which they are - it means a lot to me as an American, and as a citizen of the world. Anyone who hasn't seen this should have it on the top of their list and do it *tomorrow* - it is one of the great human events in all the world. I wish there were a way to let these soldiers know how deeply I respect them without sounding corny, or interrupting them in their duties.

Soldiers, I am not qualified or worthy to properly thank you, so instead, I will simply figuratively bow my head, and say, in public, for all to see, "Thank you." Both you, and the soldiers you guard - you are the reasons I am free to run this website, and I have never forgotten that, nor will I ever. Some may differ; I feel they are wrong. "Total respect" best describes what I feel for you, and to merely say "Thank you" sounds grossly inadequate, but what else can I do? This is perhaps already a heavily-donated-to cause, so perhaps it's not necessary, and perhaps the best way to honor these soldiers is to donate something to *other* soldiers instead - veterans' hospitals, for example, but I just don't know, and I suspect many others don't either.

Perhaps someone could post about some donation information? Surely this ceremony costs money to run. and if I could be convinced that donations go directly to this, 100% - even if it's just buying a pizza, or a deck of cards, or a good stereo system, for the soldiers working all-nighters, I would donate, and I suspect others would, too. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes there at night, but I would want to make life as comfortable as possible for them.

Next year will be the 80th-consecutive year that the tomb has been guarded, 24 hours a day, and to the best of my knowledge, it has been without interruption, not during the Pearl Harbor attacks, nor during the whole of WWII including the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, nor during any time of the Cold War, nor during the Cuban Missile Crisis, nor Kennedy's assassination, nor during RFK or MLK's assassinations, nor during the moon landing, nor Nixon's resignation, nor the assassination attempt of Reagan, nor during the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Think about that, and be grateful to these men and women doing the hard labor, all for us, and for the soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us - even for those who would spit on them.

• Like 1

I, too, was moved by this ceremony when I visited Arlington National Cemetery the summer before last. My friend and I parked far from the monument, enjoying a leisurely stroll on the way in.

At the end of the ceremony, a huge storm swept through.The rain was coming down so hard, all we (and the other people around us) could do was seek refuge under trees. Slowly we made our way toward the car, moving from tree to tree, being pelted by a storm so strong it was causing flash floods.

Soaking wet and shivering, we found a bus shelter and tried to wait it out. We soon realized the storm was not ending anytime soon, so we continued on, chilled to the bone.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a vehicle appeared. A soldier from Tennessee, named Paul, pulled over and offered us a ride. I will never forget the kindness of that soldier.

• Like 3

It is very moving. Arlington National Cemetery and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial are the only two DC tourist sites that actually move me. I take that back -- also, the Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Totally agree.  It's obvious how and why the changing of the guard ceremony is so moving, but the VIetnam Veterans Memorial is another story.  I'm not sure how a relatively plain wall can have such an impact, but somehow it makes a huge one.

Something I've always wondered: When the cemetery is closed to the public (after hours, or from Oct 1 - Mar 30), is there any ceremony involved, or do the guards merely change without ceremony? I suspect the latter, since the ceremony is mostly for the public; the important thing for the deceased soldiers is the fact that their tombs are guarded (and thus honored). Still, I've never seen anything written about this.

I cannot imagine they go through the full rigor of the changing ceremony at 3 AM - what would be the point?

I love that these soldiers are honored to the degree which they are - it means a lot to me as an American, and as a citizen of the world. Anyone who hasn't seen this should have it on the top of their list and do it *tomorrow* - it is one of the great human events in all the world. I wish there were a way to let these soldiers know how deeply I respect them without sounding corny, or interrupting them in their duties.

Soldiers, I am not qualified or worthy to properly thank you, so instead, I will simply figuratively bow my head, and say, in public, for all to see, "Thank you." Both you, and the soldiers you guard - you are the reasons I am free to run this website, and I have never forgotten that, nor will I ever. Some may differ; I feel they are wrong. "Total respect" best describes what I feel for you, and to merely say "Thank you" sounds grossly inadequate, but what else can I do? This is perhaps already a heavily-donated-to cause, so perhaps it's not necessary, and perhaps the best way to honor these soldiers is to donate something to *other* soldiers instead - veterans' hospitals, for example, but I just don't know, and I suspect many others don't either.

Perhaps someone could post about some donation information? Surely this ceremony costs money to run. and if I could be convinced that donations go directly to this, 100% - even if it's just buying a pizza, or a deck of cards, or a good stereo system, for the soldiers working all-nighters, I would donate, and I suspect others would, too. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes there at night, but I would want to make life as comfortable as possible for them.

Next year will be the 80th-consecutive year that the tomb has been guarded, 24 hours a day, and to the best of my knowledge, it has been without interruption, not during the Pearl Harbor attacks, nor during the whole of WWII including the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, nor during any time of the Cold War, nor during the Cuban Missile Crisis, nor Kennedy's assassination, nor during RFK or MLK's assassinations, nor during the moon landing, nor Nixon's resignation, nor the assassination attempt of Reagan, nor during the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Think about that, and be grateful to these men and women doing the hard labor, all for us, and for the soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us - even for those who would spit on them.

Don,

The guards and ceremonies associated with the Tomb of the Unknowns are in place to protect and honor our unknown service members. I mean this in the nicest possible way, but the ceremony is in no way conducted for the benefit of the public. As mentioned above, the times and frequencies of the ceremonies vary depending upon the time of year. I suspect this is a way to provide more people with an opportunity to view this solemn event. The ceremony is interrupted for severe weather, but I'm nearly certain it remains the same whether or not the public is present.

According to every source I've read, serving as a tomb guard is considered a great honor. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Identification badge is the second least common badge in the Army. The first is the Astronaut badge.

If you'd like to help the Old Guard directly, I recommend you contact the Ft Myers public affairs section. They might be able to offer suggestions. If you want to demonstrate your support to service members in general, there are many ways. A simple "thanks for your service" is always welcome if you see someone in uniform. I'd also recommend working as a volunteer with the USO, or a similar organization.

As an Air Force veteran, I thank you for your support of those who serve in our armed forces.

Don,

The guards and ceremonies associated with the Tomb of the Unknowns are in place to protect and honor our unknown service members. I mean this in the nicest possible way, but the ceremony is in no way conducted for the benefit of the public. As mentioned above, the times and frequencies of the ceremonies vary depending upon the time of year. I suspect this is a way to provide more people with an opportunity to view this solemn event. The ceremony is interrupted for severe weather, but I'm nearly certain it remains the same whether or not the public is present.

According to every source I've read, serving as a tomb guard is considered a great honor. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Identification badge is the second least common badge in the Army. The first is the Astronaut badge.

If you'd like to help the Old Guard directly, I recommend you contact the Ft Myers public affairs section. They might be able to offer suggestions. If you want to demonstrate your support to service members in general, there are many ways. A simple "thanks for your service" is always welcome if you see someone in uniform. I'd also recommend working as a volunteer with the USO, or a similar organization.

As an Air Force veteran, I thank you for your support of those who serve in our armed forces.

reedm,

Thank you for your thoughtful response, which prompts a couple of questions:

* Are you *sure* that the ceremony; not the guarding, but the ceremonial changing of the guard, isn't done for the public? I view the guarding and the changing of the guard as two very different things, and the inspection could just as easily be done in the back room, in private. I simply cannot imagine them going through all of that pageantry at 4 AM on a snowy winter night. Where have you heard this information? (I ask this respectfully.)

* I always thanked soldiers in uniform; then, I read an article, and I'm less certain that I should (but I still do it, quietly and tactfully, regardless of what the article says - this may be of interest to you): "Please Don't Thank Me for My Service" by Matt Richtel on nytimes.com - reading that article made me feel like a real creep. (I may move this portion of the post down into the "Current Events" forum, so if you could answer both of these in two separate posts, I would appreciate it - just quote it twice, and cut out the parts that aren't relevant to whichever of the two questions you aren't addressing) - I'll take care of moving things, and editing so it doesn't look or feel "clumsy."

And ... thank you for your service. You have all my respect, and no, I don't have any skin in the game and don't know the horrors of war in a personal way. But nevertheless, I am grateful to you because I recognize that you *do*, and that means a lot to me.

Changing of the Guard is Changing of the Guard. The Sentinels are there to guard the Tomb.

This site was listed in your original post and has some problems going from http to https, but is otherwise is informative and has a good-hearted FAQ: http://tombguard.org/society/faq/

The Guard is changed every thirty minutes during the summer (April 1 to Sep 30) and every hour during the winter (Oct 1 to Mar 31). During the hours the cemetery is closed, the guard is changed every 2 hours. The Tomb is guarded, and has been guarded, every minute of every day since 1937.

Changing of the Guard is Changing of the Guard. The Sentinels are there to guard the Tomb.

This site was listed in your original post and has some problems going from http to https, but is otherwise is informative and has a good-hearted FAQ: http://tombguard.org/society/faq/

But this still doesn't answer my question about the ceremony (unless I'm missing something).

Totally agree.  It's obvious how and why the changing of the guard ceremony is so moving, but the VIetnam Veterans Memorial is another story.  I'm not sure how a relatively plain wall can have such an impact, but somehow it makes a huge one.

I think it's all those names in stark relief, plus in my experience everyone at the wall is always very solemn and somber. I don't even have any personal connection to the Vietnam War -- I was born a couple of years before it ended, and no one in my family was involved -- but I'm still moved by the wall. My parents had a classmate who died in Vietnam, and I've found his name on the wall. Obviously I didn't know him, but when I found his name I was very moved.

There's an Oscar-winning documentary ("Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision") about the young Chinese-American artist who designed the memorial. She was 21 and still an undergraduate at Yale when her design was chosen in a competition. I haven't seen the documentary, but I've wanted to.

* Are you *sure* that the ceremony; not the guarding, but the ceremonial changing of the guard, isn't done for the public? I view the guarding and the changing of the guard as two very different things, and the inspection could just as easily be done in the back room, in private. I simply cannot imagine them going through all of that pageantry at 4 AM on a snowy winter night. Where have you heard this information? (I ask this respectfully.)

I did a bit of searching, and I stand corrected. According to this article, the changing of the guard is abbreviated during hours when the public is not allowed. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sentinels-guard-tomb-unknowns-clock/story?id=17666504. The more formal ceremony is done to raise public awareness.

Again, I have no first-hand knowledge, but it makes sense to me.

It is very moving. Arlington National Cemetery and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial are the only two DC tourist sites that actually move me. I take that back -- also, the Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Ditto.

As a very young child my parents took the family to visit Washington.  I was very young, small and scrawny.  We got to Arlington National Cemetery late in the day.  Upon leaving...we were too late.  The gates were locked.  We were locked inside.  The soldiers at the outside gate were immobile.  Fortunately for us somebody came by, saw us, made a call and other soldiers came by to unlock the gates and let us out.

On a more personal basis on that visit and while waiting to be rescued it was tremendously windy gusty.  One strong gust picked up my scrawny little body and I was floating in air...only to be rescued by my older brother who picked me right out of the wind.

I've returned periodically.  It is one of the more solemn moving quietly beautiful places in the region. Well worth the visit.  Similarly in France, Normandy, I visited the American Cemetery at Normandy Beach.  Similarly powerful and meaningful.  Also moving.

I too am deeply moved by the Holocaust museum and the Vietnam Memorial.  Those that chose the design for the Memorial deserve credit.  Its choice was highly controversial.  It was a fantastic choice.  Deeply moving.  Deeply respectful.

• Like 1

* I always thanked soldiers in uniform; then, I read an article, and I'm less certain that I should (but I still do it, quietly and tactfully, regardless of what the article says - this may be of interest to you): "Please Don't Thank Me for My Service" by Matt Richtel on nytimes.com - reading that article made me feel like a real creep. (I may move this portion of the post down into the "Current Events" forum, so if you could answer both of these in two separate posts, I would appreciate it - just quote it twice, and cut out the parts that aren't relevant to whichever of the two questions you aren't addressing) - I'll take care of moving things, and editing so it doesn't look or feel "clumsy."

Don, I've read that article. While I respect the opinions expressed therein, I don't know if that sentiment is universal. I would always accept the thanks with humility, and reply with "thank you for your support". I always accepted the thanks on behalf of others, and it didn't take it personally. By the way, the "thank you's" were a relatively rare event, particularly in the DC area.

I deployed many times during my career, and that included two tours to Iraq. I had it easy; I was near Baghdad, slept with a roof over my head, and I really had no complaints. Regardless, returning from deployments was strange. Imagine the following; (these are all "best case" examples.) You've been away from friends and family for several months or a year or more. You're living in a place that's dusty, dirty, and usually hot. You have become used to drinking bottled water exclusively, and brushing your teeth with bottled water is the norm, and not a novelty. You have carried a weapon of some sort 24/7. Food is acceptable and plentiful, but it's rarely something to look forward to. You've worn some combination of a uniform every waking moment. You've missed birthdays, seeing your kids grow up, births, and perhaps deaths of friends and family, and too many things to mention.

Now imagine it's time to return home. You fly back to the US on one of the "rotator" flights, which lands in a major US airport like Atlanta or DFW. Once you pass through customs, you exit back into "the real world" of said airport. You're now in the minority, one of relatively few people in uniform. You have immediate access to beer, crappy overpriced airport food, etc. Nobody knows where you've been, how long you've been gone, or what you've experienced. It's quite an adjustment. Often, we stayed in hotels while waiting for a connecting flight home the next day. The luxury of potable water, a warm shower, and a comfortable bed are hard to describe.

Now imagine someone approaches and says "thanks for your service". I always appreciated the sentiment, and never thought to question the person's motives for saying thanks.

Next time you see someone in uniform, particularly a young person, please say thanks. It's the furthest thing from "creepy" you will ever do.

• Like 2

Don, I've read that article. While I respect the opinions expressed therein, I don't know if that sentiment is universal. I would always accept the thanks with humility, and reply with "thank you for your support". I always accepted the thanks on behalf of others, and it didn't take it personally. By the way, the "thank you's" were a relatively rare event, particularly in the DC area. 

You, and every other member of the military, active or otherwise, can consider this website actively grateful for your service.

I may be making a huge leap in being the "voice of the website" here, but I guess at the end of the day, I am, and that's my position. I am grateful, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

It's as good a time as any to remind people about Operation Honor Our Heroes, which I support with all my might. I can promise everybody here that it's completely legitimate.

And I have a question for you, reedm: I was on a flight once, with a soldier in uniform who had lost part of his arm (land mine). I fumbled around, trying to express gratitude, while at the same time, trying not to sound like some dumb yuppie who just didn't know ... what should I have done? He was as nice as he could be, and his injury was so fresh (he hadn't even touched down in the states yet), that he had this tragic sense of optimism surrounding him. And here, we discuss Congress getting first-class seats and privileged parking, while this kid, who must have been twenty-years old, had no idea of what lay in store for him - there would be no hero's welcome, no nothing, when he strode through the airport. It made me sad beyond what words could describe because I knew what was in his future (essentially, nothing), while he didn't.

• Like 1

And I have a question for you, reedm: I was on a flight once, with a soldier in uniform who had lost part of his arm (land mine). I fumbled around, trying to express gratitude, while at the same time, trying not to sound like some dumb yuppie who just didn't know ... what should I have done? He was as nice as he could be, and his injury was so fresh (he hadn't even touched down in the states yet), that he had this tragic sense of optimism surrounding him. And here, we discuss Congress getting first-class seats and privileged parking, while this kid, who must have been twenty-years old, had no idea of what lay in store for him - there would be no hero's welcome, no nothing, when he strode through the airport. It made me sad beyond what words could describe because I knew what was in his future (essentially, nothing), while he didn't.

Don,

I think you did the right thing, and it is commendable that you spoke to him as you did. In all likelihood, he had friends and/or family waiting for him, and probably had members of his unit there as well.

His optimism was likely well-founded, as well. While losing part of a limb is daunting, and certainly a set-back, I'm betting he made a full recovery, and his chances of leading a normal life are very good. Tammy Duckworth, as you probably know, is a Congresswoman now, and lost both of her legs.

Also, thanks for supporting such a worthy cause. I'd never heard of Operation Honor our Heroes.

Finally, my thoughts are my own--I don't pretend to be able to speak for any other veterans or active duty service members. That said, I'm glad to share my thoughts if it helps raise awareness.

@reedm:   Thank you for your perspective as someone who served and deployed.  @Don:  Thanks for referencing the article above:  "Please Don't Thank me for my Service".

I'm very cognizant of the "no skin in the game" perspective from the article.   I'm from the Vietnam War era.  There was a draft then.  There hasn't been one since.  I was subject to the draft in its last few years.  I was also college bound, and the draft at that time exempted college students till they graduated.  By the time I finished college the war had wound down and the draft was ending.  I'm of the same age but mostly younger than those who fought in Vietnam.  I know vets of that period, some who have since passed, and I knew of some who died there, though didn't know them personally.  I also knew many who were exempted from service in Vietnam, one way or the other.  Additionally I'm acutely aware of part of the public's response to Vietnam vets who returned from service at that time.

Some in the population saluted them.  Some in the population "spat on them", literally and figuratively.  That was a powerful period of recent American history (or not so recent).  Had a huge impact on people's lives, and caused a level of political polarization similar to what we are experiencing now.  Lots of hatred among Americans.

Having not served in Vietnam (where 48,000 died in combat, another 11,000 died subsequently, and about 153000 were hospitalized) while some of my age peers did....I can relate to the concept of having skin in the game or not.  For me its a perspective that hasn't lessened with time.

In any case there is room for a tremendous myriad of reactions by Vets, including those by Mr. Garth from last year's thoughtful article.  Lots of people, lots of Vets, lots of perspectives.