Where Can I Find Good Texas Barbecue Around DC?

Ericandblueboy

Who has tried all the Texas BBQ around DC? Hill Country, DCity Smokehouse, Texas Jack (Arlington), Smokehouse Live (Leesburg), and The BBQ Joint (is it Texas BBQ?).

I don't think I've tried DCity since it changed chef and moved. Iv'e never been to Texas Jack or Smokehouse Live. Just wondering if one is consistently better than the others?

Who has tried all the Texas BBQ around DC? Hill Country, DCity Smokehouse, Texas Jack (Arlington), Smokehouse Live (Leesburg), and The BBQ Joint (is it Texas BBQ?).

Eric: Not saying this is the be-all, end-all list or anything, but a Thrillist colleague of mine recently did a DC-area BBQ roundup...might be a good starting point.

"The Best BBQ Joints in the DC Area" by Laura Hayes on thrillist.com

Cheers!

I don't think I've tried DCity since it changed chef and moved. Iv'e never been to Texas Jack or Smokehouse Live. Just wondering if one is consistently better than the others?\\

This is one specific question I would ask Tim Carman. He's very knowledgeable about barbecue, and I think he came from Texas.

I'm not sure where Tim Carman was born and/or raised, but while I'm certainly not a professional critic, I am a native Texan. Barbecue evokes strong emotions in some, but I enjoy barbecue of all types as long as it is delicious.

I've been to Hill Country, DCity, and the BBQ Joint (Union Market), and hope to try the other spots you named. While taste is an individual matter, I can say Hill Country is the most authentic Texas barbecue of the three. Walking into Hill Country for the first time evoked memories of the big name spots in Lockhart (Kreuz, Smitty's, Blacks, etc.), as well as Rudy's. Food prices are much higher than you'll find in Texas, but the essence of Texas barbecue is unmistakable. Last week, I ordered a rib and chicken plate from Hill Country (courtesy of Uber Eats), and the barbecue was spot on. They also offer Kreuz market sausage, and that's as authentic as you can get.

I also enjoy DCity, but they don't claim to be true to any particular region. Recently, I read Evans described his barbecue as a Kansas City/Texas mix. Both are well-regarded, but they don't claim to be Texas barbecue.

I haven't been to any of the spots to comment on consistency, but I doubt you'll be disappointed any of the ones I mentioned.

• Like 3

made a visit to Smokehouse Live this weekend.  When it first opened, I thought the bbq was average but over time the bbq has improved significantly. Big fan of the beef short ribs.  You don't find that at too many bbq places

Yesterday we got:

1. sliced brisket sandwich with mac n cheese

2. brisket nachos (really enough for 2-3 people).

brisket.JPG

brisket nachos.JPG

• Like 1

Check out Willards BBQ.

It will require you to drive out of DC proper but it is not a bad drive.

Highly consistent, no frills bbq and all the trimmings.  Hard to get a seat here at lunch time, but their stuff travels well.  

Also a relative newcomer to the retail storefront concept is Mookies BBQ in Great Falls. They are not new to BBQ, but this is their 1st shot at a permanent location.  From oversized salads, homemade sauces and everything made in-house from scratch.  BBQ is excellent and service is good.

On 10/19/2016 at 9:14 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Check out Willards BBQ.

It will require you to drive out of DC proper but it is not a bad drive.

Highly consistent, no frills bbq and all the trimmings.  Hard to get a seat here at lunch time, but their stuff travels well.  

Also a relative newcomer to the retail storefront concept is Mookies BBQ in Great Falls. They are not new to BBQ, but this is their 1st shot at a permanent location.  From oversized salads, homemade sauces and everything made in-house from scratch.  BBQ is excellent and service is good.

I have been hearing good things about mookie's bbq in Great Falls.  Good friend of mine had lunch there this week and was raving about it. 

You're much better off taking Rt 29 South to Sweet Sugar's in Reidsville, NC or Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC (whodathunkit?).  Not to start the BBQ wars again, but Texas BBQ is not very exciting, I rank it way behind Kansas City, which is way behind Memphis which is on roughly the same level as NC (BBQ, like taste in food and clothes, is one of those nice individualistic things, YMMV).

22 hours ago, DanielK said:

To give full credit - that's not just a Post staff review, but Tim Carman's personal review of BBQ.

Not that I think Urban is bad, if its perfunctory inclusion in "missed the cut" implies that it's the best Montgomery County has to offer...sigh.

4 hours ago, silentbob said:

Not that I think Urban is bad, if its perfunctory inclusion in "missed the cut" implies that it's the best Montgomery County has to offer...sigh.

Five years ago it was the class of the DC area. Shows how much cue has changed recently.

On 1/2/2017 at 6:13 PM, DonRocks said:

It sounds like the DC barbecue scene is undergoing rapid change, and this list must be taken seriously, as I don't know of anyone else who has done such an exploration in the past year.

with the former DCity pitmaster opening Federalist Pig and DCity opens, I think that "rapid change" is an understatement -- it seems the whole game has changed.

On 1/3/2017 at 4:30 PM, DanielK said:

Five years ago it was the class of the DC area. Shows how much cue has changed recently.

I'm assuming you mean immediate DC area - for a long time, DC was surrounded by North (Chubby's (the weakest of the four)), West (The Pit Stop), South (Johnny Boy's) and East (KBQ). Granted, that was probably on the far side of five years, but not *that* far.

Urban impressed me on my very first visit, though I'm not entirely sure why - I might have gotten a pulled pork sandwich or something - everything after that was just heavy-handed and glunky (aren't they the place with the "Redneck Nachos?") - Willard's has always been much better, and is still a perfectly decent place to go.

---

Urban Bar-B-Que Company (DanielK)
Federalist Pig (TheGut)
Willard's Real Pit BBQ (Ferris Beuhler)

• Like 1