Sadelle's, Trendy Bakery in Soho Turns into Refined Baltic Dining in the Evening - W. Houston Street and W. Broadway in SoHo

I was in New York for to run the NYC Half Marathon last month and the one thing I really really wanted to do was to get bagels, cream cheese, and lox at Russ and Daughters. I stayed with my cousin who had moved from the Bowery to Tribeca since my last visit and he convinced me to go to Sadelle's instead as he had a friend involved in the business side of the place so I agreed and asked a Jersey City dwelling friend to meet me there for brunch on Saturday.

My cousin's friend had graciously called in my name ahead of our brunch trip so my friend and I were able to get seated as soon as we arrived around 11:30am despite a 30-45 minute wait for others. Despite recommendations to get the sticky buns, I wanted to stay on the healthy side and ordered the whitefish salad with an everything 2.0 bagel while my friend had the smoked scottish salmon with a plain bagel. While we waited, the restaurant brought out two large glasses of mimosas for my friend and I and we toasted to our reunion.

Our smoked fish came out on a tiered platter along with lightly pickled red onion, cucumbers, cream cheese, and capers so we decided to share the fish so we could get a taste of both. The bagel was fantastic (the New York Bagel of my dreams) and the smoked fish and accoutrements were good as well. I haven't been to Russ and Daughters for two years so it may be nostalgia, but I do remember the salmon at Russ and Daughters to be quite a bit better.

It was great to catch up with my friend and I am glad to get my NYC bagel fix. Next time, I do need to get to Russ and Daughters because the Super Heebster is still calling my name.

• Like 1

I was in New York for to run the NYC Half Marathon last month and the one thing I really really wanted to do was to get bagels, cream cheese, and lox at Russ and Daughters. I stayed with my cousin who had moved from the Bowery to Tribeca since my last visit and he convinced me to go to Sadelle's instead as he had a friend involved in the business side of the place so I agreed and asked a Jersey City dwelling friend to meet me there for brunch on Saturday.

My cousin's friend had graciously called in my name ahead of our brunch trip so my friend and I were able to get seated as soon as we arrived around 11:30am despite a 30-45 minute wait for others. Despite recommendations to get the sticky buns, I wanted to stay on the healthy side and ordered the whitefish salad with an everything 2.0 bagel while my friend had the smoked scottish salmon with a plain bagel. While we waited, the restaurant brought out two large glasses of mimosas for my friend and I and we toasted to our reunion.

Our smoked fish came out on a tiered platter along with lightly pickled red onion, cucumbers, cream cheese, and capers so we decided to share the fish so we could get a taste of both. The bagel was fantastic (the New York Bagel of my dreams) and the smoked fish and accoutrements were good as well. I haven't been to Russ and Daughters for two years so it may be nostalgia, but I do remember the salmon at Russ and Daughters to be quite a bit better.

It was great to catch up with my friend and I am glad to get my NYC bagel fix. Next time, I do need to get to Russ and Daughters because the Super Heebster is still calling my name.

Super Heebster.  :lol:

"Get to Know the Women who are Taking Over the New York City Restaurant Scene" by Alyssa Hack on timeout.com

I was in NYC this past weekend and had brunch at Russ and Daughter's Cafe on Saturday and at Sadelle's on Sunday. We arrived early each day to avoid a long wait. I can't totally compare as I had different dishes at each place. The lox, eggs and onions at Russ and Daughters was great and reminded me of my mom's version.  (For some reason when I make it at home it turns out yucky.) The restaurant is very retro and has booths (which I love.)  At Sadelle's I ordered house smoked salmon (I asked the waiter if he preferred the Scottish or the house smoked salmon and he said the house.) The bagel was fantastic and the smoked salmon was much better than what I get here. I thought the portions were pretty large and were more than I could fit on a bagel. You can ask for another bagel and they don't charge you! They have a bakery/to go counter where I bought a slice of babka. It was very good but not the best that I've had. (I really like Breads Bakery's babka.) In any case, I loved both places.

• Like 2