Papi's Taco Joint, Owners Carrie Podles and Charlie Gjerde's Street-Inspired Mexican in Fells Point, Opening a Second Location in Hampden

Papi's Taco Joint

On an unseasonably cold spring Sunday, with temps dipping below zero, we engaged in some culinary counterprogramming with street tacos and Coronas for dinner. This was my first visit and and my friends' n-th time there. It's a cute place. Full service bar area as you walk in, a small dining room is adjacent (maybe 20 seats) and a covered patio (even smaller) with heat lamps.

Collectively we've only ever tried the tacos, which you order from a small printed menu pad on each table, wherein you check off your selections like a sushi menu. They come in orders of two ($5-8.50). I went with braised short rib (probably their most popular) and the ground beef - both with soft shells, with cilantro, onion, radish, lime wedge. Incredibly flavorful meats and fresh veggies. Complimentary chips/salsa are clearly made in house but the former were cold and otherwise unremarkable. Service is quick and attentive.

For < $15, I had a very filling meal plus an adult beverage. Just one order of two + chips may be plenty for lunch. I'll definitely be back.

Warning: the habanero-based sauces on the table (one red, one green) should be approached like like Caps fans entering the playoffs (with cautious enthusiasm).

Anyone been to either of their sister restaurants: Alexander's Tavern (also in Fells) or Huck's American Craft (Canton)?

Latest news is that Papi's will be opening a second location in Hampden soon, taking over the old Dimitri's space (thank god; that place was sketch).

Papi's is reliable, but given the proximity of Clavel, I'm not certain this move makes a ton of sense. I think it makes sense only for Hampdenites who literally want to go no further than two blocks away.

On 4/13/2016 at 9:27 PM, DonRocks said:

I have not, but here's a good article (and there aren't *that* many people named Gjerde in Baltimore):

Jan 7, 2015 - "Bar Review - Papi's Taco Joint Thrives in Fells Point" by Wesley Case on baltimoresun.com

Interesting there is no mention of Spike, Charlie's brother. Unless of course there is another Charlie Gjerde, other than the senior Gjerde.