'10 RDV Roundezvous & '10 Glen Manor Petit Verdot

Joe H

I have a six pack of each of the '10 RDV's and until a week ago I had been successful in resisting the opening of a bottle.  Finally, having tasted a '10 Octagon and a '10 Muse Clio (Governor's Cup Winner) earlier in the week-I had to try the RDV.  Out of a Eurocave, opened about two hours and served in a Reidel Sommelier.   Sloshed unmercifully around the glass to help it open up, then finally lifting and slowly sipping.

Nothing like Rutger's '09's.  Unctuous, mouth coating, voluptuous smoothness that coated the inside of my mouth with silk.  A remarkable wine which I followed up over the next hour with a half dozen sips, each one more rounded, more powerful than the previous.

The best red Virginia wine that I have ever tasted.  Well worth  $100 a bottle-the $75 was a very real bargain.

Where I had been critical of the '08's and '09's the '10 Roundezvous was a milestone wine for Virginia.

The next day I opened a bottle of my previous choice for Virginia's best red:  Glen Manor's '10 Petit Verdot and let it sit for two hours then pouring into a Sommelier.  I should note here that the GM PV is the real VA cult wine-there are only two barrels of it and it typically sells out in two or three weeks in mid December at the winery.

This was the first bottle that I had opened in a year or more.  Similar to the RDV it was jammy, mouth coating and unctuously smooth.  A different flavor (different fruit) but in its own way actually quite the equal of the RDV.  I let both half empty bottles sit for a night and then poured a glass of each, RDV open two days and Glen Manor PV open one:  both were superb.

'10 was an extraordinary year for VA wine.  Now with several bottle years some of the state's best is beginning to mature.  Both the RDV Roundezvous and the Glen Manor PV along with '10 LInden Boisseau and '10 Delaplane Williams Gap make the emphatic statement that Virginia can present a red wine that I would be proud to serve anywhere in the world.

I honestly believe both the PV and the RDV would merit 95's from Parker or the WS if tasted.  I can only imagine what they will taste like in another year...

• Like 2

Thanks Joe!  I love it when you write about VA wine.

A couple of questions:

1)  When you say the wine was "opened about two hours" what do you mean?  Did you just remove the cork and let it sit there or did you pour it into a decanter?

1a)  Did you let it sit at room temperature (I.E warming up the entire time) or did you keep it chilled while sitting?

2)  When you say you let both half empty bottle sit for a night, what do you mean?  Did they just sit opened on the counter?  Did you put the cork back in and put them in the wine 'fridge?  Or did you use one of those devices to suck out the air in the bottle?

3)  Did you taste them right after opening to note the change in taste after two hours time?