Parents Visiting This Weekend - Boisterous, Fun-Loving, but Not Too Food-Adventurous

Rieux

Amigos,

My parents are visiting this weekend and we are looking for somewhere to go Saturday night.  They are in their 70s, and my father gets tired easily due to an illness.  That said, they are boisterous and fun-loving, but not too adventurous in terms of food.  Also, while we don't want to eat in a mausoleum, I think it best to go someplace not too loud.

Somewhere like Le Diplomate, early, would have been great, but they are booked.  Was also considering Red Hen around 6:30, but worried we will have to wait for an eternity (any recent thoughts on the waits there?).  I was able to snag a 7:15 at Chez Billy Petworth, and an 8 at DCGB (don't worry, I will cancel one or both by lunchtime).  Any other thoughts/suggestions??  Somewhere like the grill room is out, as it's probably too formal and expensive.

1 hour ago, LauraB said:

How about Corduroy?

The only problem with that is the steps, both outside, and the really lengthy staircase to the bathrooms.  The few places I've thought of are booked from 5-something to 9, so I don't have an alternative to suggest.

1 hour ago, Deac said:

Central? has something for everyone, fun atmosphere, no steps that I recall

Coincidentally, my parents are also in their 70's, and my dad is also mobility limited. I picked Central for lunch, and the food remains excellent.

It's interesting Michel Richard is there quite frequently--perhaps that's the reason Central continues to impress. The day we were there, he enjoyed his lunch at a table next to us. 

1 hour ago, lion said:

Go outside the city to L'Auberge Chez Francois

Totally agree but I would be very surprised if you could get a reservation at a prime time on Saturday with such short notice.  This board rarely mentions L'auberge but it continues as an extremely popular restaurant.  For someone older (as I) this is an enormously comfortable restaurant with a great deal of character.

I really would try to get in.  They will love it.  Alternatively, in D. C. I would go to Marcel's.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.  These are all great, but with the exception of Central, a bit more than we want to spend (we are not celebrating anything in particular).  I appreciate the replies!  I will let you all know where we end up.

One last thought - if Italian isn't too far off the beaten path, Casa Luca? Fun atmosphere, good food, one level. FWIW, my dad also tires easily and has trouble getting around (thanks MS). Casa Luca and Charlie Palmer Steak have fit the bill for him in the past (CPS is hugely under-rated in my opinion).

Rieux, do you want to stay in the city?

If so, think about The Oval Room, Bombay Club, Taberna del Alabardero, Casa Luca, Woodward Table, Pennsylvania 6 (with Mark Slater), The Grill Room, La Chaumière, Ching Ching Cha, 1789 (!), Westend Bistro, Et Voila!, BlackSalt, Bistroquet, Makoto, Bistrot Lepic, Old Europe, Al Dente, Bread Furst for Lunch, Ripple, Indique, New Heights (one flight of stairs), Bar Civita, Pesce, Al Tiramisu, DGS Delicatessen, C.F. Folks for Lunch, Iron Gate Inn, The Riggsby, Tail Up Goat, Izakaya Seki, Convivial, Drift on 7th, Lupo Verde, Centrolina, The Dabney, Baby Wale, DBGB Kitchan & Bar, Alta Strada, Menomalé, Sushi Capitol if they like sushi, Beuchert's Saloon, Osteria Morini, B Too, Zaytinya, Daikaya Izakaya, 701, and The Partisan. Some are too expensive, others are too exotic, and others still don't have elevators, but you'll find something here. If you arrive at Kinship *right at 5:30*, you may be able to get a booth. If you sit at the corner of the bar at Corduroy, it's very pleasant for three people, and no walks to the restroom - there are also tables upstairs which you can call about.

Dear all,

Just to close the loop, we ended up going to DBGB, which everyone enjoyed.  It was a bit loud (but almost everything is nowadays).  We mainly ended up there because of the myriad suggestions above, it was the one that we could get into on short notice.  

The parents also enjoyed lunch at Union Market (Dad, the porkstrami from Red Apron and mom, getting adventurous, her arepa).

Thanks to all!

• Like 1