Social media advice request

reedm

This question may be too broad, but here goes. I don't intend this to be an advertisement, so let me know if I'm not complying with rules/etiquette, etc.

My wife works for Williams-Sonoma in Tyson's Galleria, and her boss managed to arrange for Bryan Voltaggio to appear for a book signing appearance 30 April. The store doesn't have a large advertising or social media presence, so she asked if I could help. As a child of the 60's, my skills are very limited.

Does anyone have any ideas to "spread the word"? I'm really out of my element.

Thanks in advance.

Post it in the Events and Gatherings section under its own thread, issue a small disclaimer somewhere in the post, and I'll delete this when you've done it. It's no problem at all putting this in Events and Gatherings, and I appreciate you being forthright. Cut-and-paste the URL of the thread, and get everyone you know to tweet about it (or I can tweet about it, and you can get everyone you know to retweet my tweet). That's how best to spread the word, but it won't happen without the retweets.

Post as much detail as you can, and I'll figure out how to best title and tag it. I have no problem helping your wife.

13 hours ago, reedm said:

Does anyone have any ideas to "spread the word"? I'm really out of my element.

Thanks in advance.

I do a lot of this kind of "work" for a variety of businesses.  Some quick suggestions:

• Don's suggestions with regard to tweeting are good.  Follow those
  • Not much time between today and the 30th. so I'd work fast
  • I'd look for EVENT postings in search.  I'd try and post the event in every local opportunity you can find.
  • Use local or hyper local media and look for "event postings".  Some sources are great:  ArlNow is an example.  But I'd try and get as many of these out there as possible.
  • Hit up ALL the food sources in the area, blogs, media such as eater, etc.  Look for events.  Post a note to them.  There are a lot of them out there.  Hit them all up.  
  • Find out if the store or restaurant have complementary news or media sources.  Hit those up if there are any.
  • Of course hit local facebook contacts and local twitter contacts along with any other applicable locally oriented large scale social media.  I've found great to good success with smaller scale local social media in this and other regions....but I've also found it takes a lot of time to find them and then a lot of time to find the one's that work.  Not enough time to look for them between now and 4/30/16

There is actually an entire "industry" around that does work on things like this, but its done best with far more lead time.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, DaveO said:

I do a lot of this kind of "work" for a variety of businesses.  Some quick suggestions:

• Don's suggestions with regard to tweeting are good.  Follow those
  • Not much time between today and the 30th. so I'd work fast
  • I'd look for EVENT postings in search.  I'd try and post the event in every local opportunity you can find.
  • Use local or hyper local media and look for "event postings".  Some sources are great:  ArlNow is an example.  But I'd try and get as many of these out there as possible.
  • Hit up ALL the food sources in the area, blogs, media such as eater, etc.  Look for events.  Post a note to them.  There are a lot of them out there.  Hit them all up.  
  • Find out if the store or restaurant have complementary news or media sources.  Hit those up if there are any.
  • Of course hit local facebook contacts and local twitter contacts along with any other applicable locally oriented large scale social media.  I've found great to good success with smaller scale local social media in this and other regions....but I've also found it takes a lot of time to find them and then a lot of time to find the one's that work.  Not enough time to look for them between now and 4/30/16

There is actually an entire "industry" around that does work on things like this, but its done best with far more lead time.  Good luck.

My thanks to you and Don for your sage advice. It's too late in the game to get the word out, and I don't want to get too involved in a company that is not my employer. On the other hand, I need to make a good faith effort to assist my wife....

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, reedm said:

My thanks to you and Don for your sage advice. It's too late in the game to get the word out, and I don't want to get too involved in a company that is not my employer. On the other hand, I need to make a good faith effort to assist my wife....

Thanks again!

Well, Bryan retweeted me (*and* you), and he has 273,000 followers, so ... consider the word out. :)

Sometimes, knowing the janitor can get you a meeting with the President.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2016 at 3:34 PM, ktmoomau said:

Can you just show up for the event, or do you need to register?  If I can find time I would love to do that!

No registration required. I believe the time is now 12-2. Hope you enjoy it!

• Like 1