Tipping Before Giving Your Server Your Credit Card

DonRocks

Today was a first for me - I had lunch at a restaurant (big surprise there), and gave my credit card when presented with the bill. My server asked me if I wanted to write down the tip on the *initial* bill, saying that it increases security with the new micro-chip credit cards.

Fine with me - I left a 20% tip before tax, and handed her both the bill and the credit card, which she took back to the register.

She then returned with the tip printed out, and I simply signed my name and left. In all my years of dining, this has *never* happened to me before.

Is this going to be some kind of new thing?

For a long time at restaurants in Europe they bring the card reader to your table. When we were in Ireland last summer they would sometimes ask if we wanted to add a tip before scanning the card. So they would simply put in the total sum, swipe the card, then hand you the receipt to sign. You didn't have the option to leave a tip on the receipt.  

It definitely makes for a more secure transaction since your card never leaves your sight. In Ireland a tip is generally appreciated, but not expected, and I could see it making for some awkward transactions here in the US if servers started bringing the card reader to the table and people wanted to leave a low tip.   

1 hour ago, Deac said:

For a long time at restaurants in Europe they bring the card reader to your table. When we were in Ireland last summer they would sometimes ask if we wanted to add a tip before scanning the card. So they would simply put in the total sum, swipe the card, then hand you the receipt to sign. You didn't have the option to leave a tip on the receipt. 

It definitely makes for a more secure transaction since your card never leaves your sight. In Ireland a tip is generally appreciated, but not expected, and I could see it making for some awkward transactions here in the US if servers started bringing the card reader to the table and people wanted to leave a low tip.   

I take it back - it has *never* happened to me in America. In Europe, with the card-readers, yes. I don't specifically remember there being lines to leave tips on the receipts there, but I'm sure there are in places.

18 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I take it back - it has *never* happened to me in America. In Europe, with the card-readers, yes. I don't specifically remember there being lines to leave tips on the receipts there, but I'm sure there are in places.

I can't see them doing it in the U.S. unless service charges become much more standard, because of the awkwardness of having to tell the tip amount to your server before they charge the card.

17 hours ago, Deac said:

I can't see them doing it in the U.S. unless service charges become much more standard, because of the awkwardness of having to tell the tip amount to your server before they charge the card.

It works just fine in Canada. I could be remembering wrong, but they come to your table with the device, scan your card, hand you the device and you add desired tip, you hand it back, they print a receipt which you sign, and it's all done. (This was chip and signature system, not chip and pin; it's been a few years.) A great time saver and not at all awkward. One of many reasons why we love Canada.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

They do this in Canada eh, where they do tip 

6 hours ago, porcupine said:

It works just fine in Canada. I could be remembering wrong, but they come to your table with the device, scan your card, hand you the device and you add desired tip, you hand it back, they print a receipt which you sign, and it's all done. (This was chip and signature system, not chip and pin; it's been a few years.) A great time saver and not at all awkward. One of many reasons why we love Canada.

I had forgotten all about Canada (and, to be honest, still don't remember all that well), but this is a very good point. I was in Vancouver with Matt a few years ago, and remember telling him about "the machine" when they brought it over, so I guess it did happen there.