Indian Cuisine

"Chatting with Craig LaBan: Indian Takeout, Caterers, and Butchers" by Craig LaBan on philly.com

I want to add that I did a James Beard nominee trip a few years ago, and went to one of the long-listed nominees: Bindi, a well-meaning but ultimately sub-par Indian BYOB just southeast of City Hall. Bindi was the only klunker of the entire trip, and we were left slack-jawed wondering how it got long-listed for a Beard Award. Incidentally, the following year, it fell off the nomination list. Still, it was a Beard long-listed Indian restaurant, and I think (don't quote me on this) this was before Rasika had ever been nominated, so it at least made a valiant effort - and it was BYOB!

One important thing to know: "Bindi" signifies the red dot worn on the center of the forehead, often by Hindu and Jain females, and this was reflected by a huge red circle on the ceiling of the restaurant. "Bhindi," however, means "Okra," and is pronounced nearly the same, so it would be quite easy to confuse the two.

This was the same weekend we went to Amada, Zahav (my first visit which was spectacular), and Tinto (also my first visit which was spectacular), so it was in some pretty tough company, and just didn't stand up well next to its peers, two of which were in their prime.