Smokin' Jarhead - Former Marine Ron Johnson's Smoked Ribs, Pulled Pork, and Brisket - Catering, Delivery, and Pickup Throughout the DMV

1 hour ago, dslee said:

Thanks so much for the post!  Look forward to trying out the best BBQ in DC!

You're welcome! But I didn't say quite *this* much, because I don't know - for that, I'm afraid you'll need to talk with true barbecue aficionados, such as Tim Carman; I am a knowledgeable generalist who recognizes great product when I see it. But I specifically avoided calling Ron's barbecue "The Best" because I haven't tried them all - but I've tried most, and I can tell you "it's up there" among the best I've ever tried. 

• Like 1

Ron is a pure gentleman. He's never been anything but extraordinarily gracious and kind to both me and my mother. We're proud to be customers but also to consider him a friend. Please support this man. He's not just an expert pit master with a fantastic product but he's also extremely generous and worth getting to know personally.

Now, Ron, let's talk about this craving I've had recently for smoked rainbow trout. ;)

• Like 1

Thank you all, for the kind words. Don, all your advice and suggestions are appreciated. 

I will be selling ribs for Memorial day weekend. Friday May 27 will be delivery day. I am going out of town for a festival. The pork babyback ribs are $24 for a rack. I will post more details in the catering section here and also on our Facebook page.

We had Ron take care of the meat portion of a HS graduation party for my son over the weekend and it was a great success.  We ordered way, way too much food, but I assured him that leftovers wouldn't be a problem.  We got 3 pork butts, (2 pulled, and 1 whole.....see the photos above), 3 racks of ribs, 1 brisket (which was huge and came in 2 large pieces) and 6 chickens quartered.  It was all amazing and I'm ready have another party just to order more!

Everything was great, but for me, the biggest revelation was the brisket.  Nearly all of my experience with brisket has been at holiday parties at my in laws and while they all rave about it, it always left me a bit bewildered.  This brisket was "not your in law's brisket"!  It was permeated with a smoky taste that I've only experienced while standing down wind of roaring camp fire!  I was almost worried that I'd smell like a camp fire after simply eating it.

The other super convenient thing about Ron's operation is that he delivers.  I know that's mentioned above, but it bears repeating as it really made it easy on us as we had a million other things to worry about to prepare for this party.

• Like 5