Attari Sandwich Shop, Iranian Cafe with Sandwiches, Kebabs, Pastries in Westwood

On 5/13/2013 at 1:52 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

The Attari Sandwich Shop has great atmosphere and food, for a very good price/neighborhood. The eggplant appetizer is smooth (texture) and sharp (flavor) at once, and the kabobs are excellent. The sandwiches looked very good and I can't wait to get back and try a few.

On 12/13/2014 at 2:51 AM, Sundae in the Park said:

Attari Sandwich Shop, which isn't too far away from LAX, is also open all day, I believe, though parking in that area is rather hideous at any time of day. It's worth the hassle, though, for the excellent kabobs, breads, stews, desserts; everything, really.

On 12/13/2014 at 10:59 AM, ALB said:

I LOVE Attari sandwich shop! Try the Kashk-e Bademjan (eggplant with whey and crispy shallots). And Saffron and Rose ice cream is across the street for AMAZING Persian ice cream (saffron and pistachio and rosewater, along with traditional flavors.) They will let you try as many flavors as you want before you choose. I love this block of Westwood.

ETA: This area will be on of my first stops when I get to LA at the end of the month.

Attari Sandwich Shop is one of my favorite places to eat in the city, before/after the airport (except Mondays when it is closed), for takeout (bring some to the Getty and have a picnic! It still tastes great at home!), to take visitors...The meat is good quality so the kabobs (which are well-marinated and tender) are nice, but the bread (both the French bread used for sandwiches and the flatbread that you can request for the kabobs) is excellent, so I often go with the sandwiches. The Kashk-e Bademjan eggplant appetizer is the epitome of eggplant spreads and I usually get an extra order to take home (though I don't like the thin, floppy flatbread they serve with it - I bypass that and spoon it onto my rice or use the fluffy flatbread to sop it up). They have some interesting cuts of meat/sandwich stuffings, including mortadella, sosees (hot-dog/sausage-ish), brain, and kuku (herbed egg cooked like a frittata), though I've stuck with the tamer meats. On Fridays they serve ab-goosht, a lamb/chickpea stew about which Jonathan Gold raves (#60 on the list; the restaurant is also featured in the City of Gold documentary about him). As mentioned above, it can be difficult to find parking, but it's worth it! It's crowded inside and the tiny outdoor courtyard is spare but charming; if you sit a while you can clearly see that it's a local gathering place. They have baklava and other pastries but my husband adores the zoolbia above all.