ISO "tall" winged corkscrew

Bart

Does anyone have recommendations for a "tall" corkscrew?  What I mean is, one that will allow the cork to come all the way out when you press down on the wings.  Most of the ones I've ever seen only lift the cork 3/4 of the way out of the bottle and then I have to wrap my hand around the cork to serve as a spacer and push the wings down a second time.  Kind of annoying and sometimes painful.

I know they exist because I used one in a vacation rental we stayed in once, but I haven't been able to find any with that feature called out. 

13 minutes ago, Bart said:

Does anyone have recommendations for a "tall" corkscrew?  What I mean is, one that will allow the cork to come all the way out when you press down on the wings.  Most of the ones I've ever seen only lift the cork 3/4 of the way out of the bottle and then I have to wrap my hand around the cork to serve as a spacer and push the wings down a second time.  Kind of annoying and sometimes painful.

I know they exist because I used one in a vacation rental we stayed in once, but I haven't been able to find any with that feature called out. 

Do you mean something like this? If so, I have a pretty beat-up Screwpull model that I think I might have bought at Total Wine. Although it pulls problem-free corks all the way out, I don't recommend it, because if there is *any* problem with the cork, it will simply drill right through it, and the cork will disintegrate. 

They also have *really* tall wall-mounted corkscrews such as this which will certainly provide more torque, and in fact I have one, but I still haven't opened it, as I received it as a gift, and want to wait until I'm in a permanent home. I used to have a counter model that was about two-feet tall, but it, too, wasn't nearly as effective as you might be led to believe - I lost many a cork.

I have used precisely *one* corkscrew in my life that has never - not once - failed me. It's expensive as *sin* ($125 for a small corkscrew), but it works like nothing else does - I have successfully removed even the most dicey corks I've ever come across. It's called the Durand, and is available from Rare Wine Company - I bought mine on a whim, thinking it sounded too good to be true, but it isn't - it works. It's a combination of an Ah-So along with a traditional corkscrew, and uses both technologies at the same moment, so you get an upward pull from the side of the cork, as well as an upward pull from the center of the cork. You have to be really into wines to use this model, but I recommend it wholeheartedly - it's an amazing piece of technology. It isn't "fast" like a Screwpull (which can uncork a bottle in about two seconds), but you'll never lose a cork, either.

I've pretty much given up on those types, Don.  They don't seem to last very long and either straight up break, or get gummed up somehow and become difficult to use.

I was talking about one of these:

corkscrew.jpg

I'd like to find one with a longer lower half, so you could pull the cork all the way out the first time you push the wings donwn.

19 minutes ago, Bart said:

I'd like to find one with a longer lower half, so you could pull the cork all the way out the first time you push the wings donwn.

Right, I've had trouble getting the corks all the way out with the winged corkscrews as well. That, *and* older corks disintegrate, so this is really the worst of all worlds - or, at least, it has been for me. You're absolutely right that the cork doesn't come all the way out - you have to pull it 3/4 of the way out, then twist it in some more, and then pull it the rest of the way out, and I can't stand that - it's very poor technology.

Most sommeliers will tell you that a plain old corkscrew, deftly handled, is the best way to go, but I've seen *many* a sommelier lose a cork while using one - often accompanied by a panicked "Excuse me," as they race back to the wine table in order to finish opening the bottle in solitude. :) 

I did this search in google and came up with some product choices.  Running through them I noticed some wing cork screws at 6.5" and 7.5" and above.  The length could make the difference.

Back in the day I did some bartending, some of which required opening many wine bottles before the shift started.  Had to work fast.  In the industry and among sommeliers everyone will suggest simple basic corkscrews.  If you open dozens of bottles every evening you get adept.  Also the simpler corkscrews are easier to carry around.  

I bartended sporadically.  There were times when at the beginning of an evening shift at certain places you really needed to open a lot of wine bottles and do so rather quickly. You needed to prepare before the shift because the places would get crowded, the bars were busy, and you didn't want to have to open bottles while there were still big crowds. Winged corkscrews always worked for me.  Always.  Very reliable.  

In any case back to the question.  See if the length of the corkscrew gets you what you want.

On 5/16/2016 at 8:41 AM, Bart said:

BTW:  I was thinking about this and a local source that might have the appropriate "tall" winged corkscrew is a store that builds home bars (website) and accessorizes them with any kind of item you can imagine: Bars By Bud Mepham might have what you are looking for and allow you to test them.  I haven't been there in years.  Bars By Bud used to carry every kind of tool, accessory, gadget, etc you could imagine and at every price point. Plus Bud is a nice guy, a straight shooter, and his team does great work.  

But do they still carry every gadget at every price point?  I don't know.  I'd call them.  703 573 1010.  The store is roughly in Merrifield, just off the Beltway.  Nice guy, local business, and has a great reputation for workmanship.  Give it a try.  You might find what you are looking for and you may find other useful tools.

Thanks Dave!

Perhaps perversely, I ordered one on amazon that looks much shorter than the rest (!).  The review were all raves as in, "this is the greatest corkscrew I've found in 30 years") and it was only 8 bucks with shipping so I took a chance on whim.  The length is listed at 7.2 inches, so maybe it's taller than it appears on the site.

I'll report back in a day or so

This is the 8 dollar corkscrew I bought:  

Screenshot 2016-05-19 at 22.10.23.png

It doesn't solve the problem of the cork not coming all the way out, but it was an improvement over the other "winged" one that I was using.  The screw on this one has a Teflon coating on it so it goes into and comes out of a cork MUCH easier than a metal screw does, so that made it worth the investment. 

24 minutes ago, Bart said:

This is the 8 dollar corkscrew I bought:   http://www.amazon.com/WMF-Clever-Stainless-Corkscrew-Winged/dp/B001E40T2K?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It doesn't solve the problem of the cork not coming all the way out, but it was an improvement over the other "winged" one that I was using.  The screw on this one has a Teflon coating on it so it goes into and comes out of a cork MUCH easier than a metal screw does, so that made it worth the investment. 

Good.  Taking one for the team at $8 is a pretty good deal.  My suggestion above was more guess than anything based on seeing different lengths in a search winged corkscrews.   Actually I suspect Mark Slater is the one with authority on this topic.  My gut is that sommeliers and bartenders use the simplest corkscrews because they are the only ones that easily fit in your pocket.  But my own experience was that it took practice to get really good with those simple tools wherein you almost never broke the cork.  Been ages for me though,   Enjoy.

12 hours ago, DaveO said:

My gut is that sommeliers and bartenders use the simplest corkscrews because they are the only ones that easily fit in your pocket.  But my own experience was that it took practice to get really good with those simple tools wherein you almost never broke the cork.  

Totally agree!  I'm just not good enough to use the foldable kinds that actual waiters use.  I can always open the bottle, but for me, the winged versions are easier and more efficient to use.

• Like 1

I have this a great corkscrew. I can't figure out if it is made any more, but it is great. And it takes the cork out easily, all the way. It's a Henckle's that we bought probably 25+ years ago at the Henckle's Store in Georgetown Park. (So... not so helpful. But if you can find one, it will work!)

Screenshot 2016-05-19 at 22.12.08.png

It cost a LOT less when we bought it!

I like the kind that waiters use, it is my go-to.  BUT my husband bought my Mom, Aunt and us an electric one that takes the cork all the way out and then will drop the cork in  your hand.  More than $8 though.  It is really nice for my Aunt who has arthritis and she uses it all the time and has had it for a number of years now.  My Mom uses hers a lot too because she has a hard time with the pull (although she manages if the alternative is no wine).  

• Like 2