Bars by Bud Mepham - Bud Mepham's Custom Bars, Equipment, Glassware, Etc., in a 38-Year-Old Business in Merrifield

DaveO

Having seen this post asking about purchasing a "long" winged corkscrew it got me thinking about Bars By Bud, or more correctly Bars By Bud Mepham, a very long term local store located in Fairfax.  Bud Mepham, as I recall, is a craftsman, carpenter by trade who specialized in building custom bars.  I think the specialization and his full business with a retail front is over 30 years old.  The store is located in Fairfax in the general vicinity of Merrifield and easily accessed off the beltway.

While Bud's specialty is building out custom bars....(pictures below) the showroom retail operation used to carry every single bar tool, bar accessory, wine tool, glassware imaginable, and at all price points.  Admittedly I haven't been there in over a decade.  Bud, is a straight shooter, very fair guy, and a small local businessperson and craftsman.  He and his staff were all knowledgeable about bar accessories and extremely helpful.  A classic local specialty business with tremendous staff knowledge.  It was a pleasure to shop there.   Bud's is still around.  Also while its been years I've seen the results of Bud's craftmanship.  Impressive.  He has to be among the least marketing oriented people.  But you can capture some pictures of Bud's craftmanship via some effort at search.

It appears at the high end Bud and his team built the custom bar at the Goodstone Inn in 2012.  Impressive work.  Most of his custom work is far simpler, but he is a true craftsman.  And if his showroom carries all the bar inventory in the world (as it used to) its a great resource for any kind of wine, bar, or glassware accessory you might be looking for.

bar at goodstone inn.jpg

• Like 2

They moved into a much smaller spot just across Merrifield Ln from The Home Depot, but it's only about 100yrs as the crow flies from it's prior location. It's a shell of what it was, but at least they're there. They have a fair number of supplies, but it's not a pretty place, although some would argue it never was. I appreciate I can get CO2 refills there, and I'm happy a locally-run business is still standing.

• Like 1

On May 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM, DrXmus said:

They moved into a much smaller spot just across Merrifield Ln from The Home Depot, but it's only about 100yrs as the crow flies from it's prior location. It's a shell of what it was, but at least they're there. They have a fair number of supplies, but it's not a pretty place, although some would argue it never was. I appreciate I can get CO2 refills there, and I'm happy a locally-run business is still standing.

Thanks for the update.  Small local business!!  Take heed.