Ottoman Taverna, Chef Ilhan Erkek's Turkish in a Charming Dining Room at 4th and I Street NW - Mount Vernon Triangle

I wish I had as good of an experience as Rieux--I love Turkish food and was really hoping for this restaurant to be better than nearby Alba and L'Hommage.  It's not.    

First, the service.  We were seated in the main part of the dining room but we rarely saw our waiter, making it nearly impossible to get his attention.  Turns out that he may also have been the bartender and was trying to cover the bar and our table (which again, wasn't in the bar area).  Times like this highlights the GAR team approach to service.  

My wife had the chicken kebabs (tavuk sis).  She cut in and the middle was uncooked.  (I don't mean pink hued, I mean jiggly raw.)  We sat there for five minutes, never seeing our waiter, so we finally flagged down another employee, who looked at it and said, "Oh, this is fine, but you must want it well done."  Ah, yes, how silly of her to not indicate her preferred wellness for chicken! (Preference: no salmonella)  He took the plate to the bar and discussed it with our waiter and came back in about ten minutes with the plate reheated in the oven.  The chicken was cooked, but the rice was like substandard rice-a-roni.  Not a great dish nor great response from the staff.

I got the artichoke hearts with peas and carrots meze (zeytinyagli enginar).  It was so wan and depressing.  But that wasn't surprising after one bite strongly suggested that the dish used canned peas.  I'll take mushy sad green peas in an English pub, but here it was just disappointing. 

Bright point of the night was the the labneh with walnuts and dill (haydari).  (The thing is, I love all labneh, so I'm easy to please.)  It was placed on the table, though, with just a spoon and no accompanying bread.  It took more than five minutes for us to get bread to go with it, all the while wondering whether they just wanted us to glob spoonfuls of it on to the plate and eat it with a fork.

We cut our losses short by skipping coffee and dessert, paid, and Midnight Expressed ourselves out of there.  It's going to take some mighty big changes for us to return when we could just go to Zaytinya or even Lebanese Taverna instead.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2016 at 10:30 AM, washingtony said:

First, the service.  We were seated in the main part of the dining room but we rarely saw our waiter, making it nearly impossible to get his attention.  Turns out that he may also have been the bartender and was trying to cover the bar and our table (which again, wasn't in the bar area).  Times like this highlights the GAR team approach to service.  

This also happened to us on our visit a couple of weeks ago. I thought they were just short staffed that night, but seems this may be the case regularly. We didn't have nearly as many issues as you did, but it was annoying to flag him down for drink refills, etc.

We'll be back because we live across the street from it, but I was underwhelmed by my doner kebab. I've had better at Doner Bistro for half the price. The cold mezze was outstanding, though, so I could see myself posting up at the bar for a platter and some beers regularly.

Also weird and repeated: the food is good enough to get some positive publicity, mostly via the "First Bite" blurb from Tom Sietsema in the Washington Post. Once the ink dries, the quality of the food and service start going downhill. The owner isn't the first person in the restaurant industry to play this game. 

• Like 3