Mirai, Sushi Capitol Team Restaurant in Former Seasonal Pantry Location - Shaw

Washington City Paper with the news. 

and this nugget:  "I want to be the type of place where the residents of that area and people who are nearby can come once a week, twice a week... and it won't hurt their wallet," says Can Yurdagul, who's joined in the venture by his future father-in-law/chef Minoru Ogawa. The owners are also giving equity in the business to three of their longtime sushi chefs.

Congrats Can!

• Like 1

EatRunEat and I got a sneak peek into the space via Can's phone when at Ogawa this weekend.  Looks to be very cool and I'm really excited for them.  Only sad news is that Chef Aoki will be moving to the new location from Sushi Capitol.  EatRunEat and I will miss his company at the counter.

3 hours ago, MichaelBDC said:

EatRunEat and I got a sneak peek into the space via Can's phone when at Ogawa this weekend.  Looks to be very cool and I'm really excited for them.  Only sad news is that Chef Aoki will be moving to the new location from Sushi Capitol.  EatRunEat and I will miss his company at the counter.

And Michael gets props for knowing about this weeks ago, and having the courtesy to keep it under wraps until Can was comfortable releasing the news - I can vouch for this.

In the long run, acts of integrity such as this are more important than being the first out of the gate with breaking news - kudos to MichaelBDC (Can, you owe him a beer!)

• Like 2

I'm the owner/landlord of 1314 1/2 9th. If Can wants to respond about the future Mirai sushi schedule I'll let him do it, but it is not currently being offered. In the meantime opening soon in the Mirai space will be Green Almond Pantry, which is the trade name used by Chef Cagla Onal- a veteran of Obelisk and Etto. She will serve light Mediterranean/Turkish fare; dining options are counter seating and take-away. She's currently at farmer's markets. Washingtonian had a good article about her a while back. 

4 hours ago, Lisa Fricano said:

In the meantime opening soon in the Mirai space will be Green Almond Pantry, which is the trade name used by Chef Cagla Onal- a veteran of Obelisk and Etto. She will serve light Mediterranean/Turkish fare; dining options are counter seating and take-away. She's currently at farmer's markets. Washingtonian had a good article about her a while back. 

A Former Etto Chef Is Behind This Delicious New Farmers Market Stall

You can follow Cagla on instagram:  Green Almond Pantry 

I love Cagla's cooking and look forward to being a regular!

• Like 1