Arguing Politics on Social Media - Even When You Win, You Lose

Ericandblueboy

There's a meme out there that says "arguing on the Internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded."  I fully agree with the premise, but not the words. I think that meme also applies to political discussions on social media.  You can't win, even if you think you won, you're pissing people off.

Many members here are my "friends" on Facebook.  I respect your food opinions but I have no use for your political slants.  I will unfriend people who consistently post their political views.  Get a life, a job, a hobby, etc.

Thankfully discussion of politics is verboten here.

14 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Thankfully discussion of politics is verboten here.

[Sorry for the brackets, but that's my "moderator" voice. Discussion of politics and religion is allowed, and even encouraged *IFF* (that's "if, and only if") it's done in a historical, academic, intellectual, and most importantly of all: *non-partisan* fashion, and also in the right forums. There is no "right" or "wrong" on this website in terms of personal political or religious beliefs, and folks who post here should be fully aware of this - everyone here is A-OK with me, and I couldn't care less if you're a fan of Rand, Bork, Reich, Clinton, Trump, or anyone else. I think *you* (Eric) know this, but I want to make sure others do also. I want to encourage our readers to lean on the "Report Post" button for any post they read that they think might break this very simple rule - it's really very easy (and stress-free) to care about people, regardless of their political or religious viewpoints, and I wish more people put that philosophy into practice.

In terms of "arguing on social media," a couple of days ago, I was thisclose to letting an uppity, snotty, know-nothing dweeb who said some really nasty things on another website have the verbal equivalent of a few body blows followed by an easy knockout punch, but I decided he simply wasn't worth my words, my energy, my wrath, my drawing attention to his (non-)existence, or my putting him in his proper place, so I quite literally forgot about his snotty caterwauling until I read your message just now - the irony is that he probably thinks I turned tail and ran; quite the opposite: I simply decided not to try and reason with such a primitive life form - imagine trying to discuss anything of substance with a cicada.

BTW, I learned a few years ago that the word "retarded" is no longer acceptable. I had no idea at the time, but it's true - it's now deemed quite offensive, and shouldn't be used at all, even though I know your usage of it was the same as mine was: without malice. Folks should do some research about this - its use is now widely frowned upon, and should be avoided.]

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

[BTW, I learned a few years ago that the word "retarded" is no longer acceptable. I had no idea at the time, but it's true - it's now deemed quite offensive, and shouldn't be used at all, even though I know your usage of it was the same as mine was: without malice. Folks should do some research about this - its use is now widely frowned upon, and should be avoided.]

I think this is why he said he disagreed with the words (because they are offensive and incorrect).    

• Like 1

The word "retarded" went out a long time ago, at least back to the 80s when I was a special education teacher, and was replaced with terms like "special," "learning disabled" or "developmentally challenged," etc. It's a new generation (I think in the 90s or 00s) that returned the word "retarded" to common use in protest of the supposed burden of "politically correct" language. Phrases like "______ challenged" are pretty much held up to ridicule today as the most egregious examples of political correctness. Personally I just think euphemisms are meant to show sensitivity and politeness. I do not find "politically correct" language burdensome or oppressive at all.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2016 at 3:37 PM, johnb said:

Agree.  Seems to me that "political correctness" is really nothing more than what used to be called being polite.  But these days politeness appears to be on the endangered species list.

Yes, and my feelings are that whatever a group of people wish to be called, that's what I'll call them.

• Like 1