Honoring JSnake

DonRocks

I'm sorry to have to let everyone know that John "Mix" Meyer, aka JSnake, passed away last week. Some of you met him and his mom at a recent dinner at Peking Duck.

Cedric Maupillier cooked a special dinner for him and his family at Convivial recently.

Ron "Smokin' Jarhead" Johnson catered two events for Mix's family recently. Mix had become an integral part of this community, and we had become personal friends. 

The website will be offline Tuesday, 12-1, in Mix's honor. 

Some important details can be found in the obituary here.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2016 at 9:02 AM, Bart said:

Very sad.  I met him at the DR Fishnet dinner.  He was a cool guy who definitely had a hard life. 

RIP

He was a very cool guy, and he even wrote for Wired Magazine.

I'd like our members to read through this thread, in particular, post #62 on page 2, where the poster says, "We all thought he was just a 16 year old who was thinking too big for his britches. Turns out, he was in a staring contest with his creator and decided he was going to dance harder than the rest of us before the song ran out."

In Mix's online communities, he was just like everyone else - there were no wheelchairs or endotracheal tubes - and having gotten to know him over the past year, I'm certain that's all he ever wanted. Not once did he ever complain to me about being terminally ill for his entire life; he just wanted to be like everyone else, and here, as elsewhere online, he had that chance. He loved the members of this community more than you know.

I also want to thank Cedric Maupillier for making Mix and his family a tasting menu at Convivial, and for spending a long time talking with him at his table (Cedric made sure there was an extra employee in the kitchen, because he knew he would be doing this). And also Ron Johnson for having catered events at the Meyer's home, and for delivering barbecued ribs to them. Having talked with both men, I know that they're taking Mix's passing very hard, and having talked with Mix, I know that he looked at both Cedric and Ron as heroes.

Mix wouldn't want us to sit and stare at this in stunned silence; he'd want us to honor his life by living ours in ways that he never could, perhaps having grown as individuals from our brief time with him. 

• Like 9

I am so sorry to hear this- we met him at the Peking Duck lunch & thought that he was wise beyond his years (especially talking about food). I'm happy that I talked to him briefly, I really enjoyed his posts,& my thoughts & prayers go out to his friends & family.

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

He was a very cool guy, and he even wrote for Wired Magazine.

He may have been writing for other publications / sites too.  The night of the Fishnet dinner (which happened to be a Tuesday earlier in the spring), he was going home to write an article about the primary election that was happening that night.  

I went to Mix's service on Saturday. I only wish I could have done more, but it was an absolutely beautiful service, *packed* with friends and family - Mix had been writing for Wired Magazine since he was *sixteen*, and there was a really nice video tribute by his editor.

I never did tell him this (I couldn't - he was 23!), but he had me backed into a corner discussing sous-vide. He knew he did. I got to know Mix pretty well over the past year, and he knew, and I knew he knew. 

Mix.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MichaelBDC said:

This is very sad news.  I met John at the Drift dinner and very much enjoyed his company.  My sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends.  I'm sure he'll be terribly missed.

If I had a funeral, only a fraction of the people would show up - he touched the lives of an *incredible* number of people with his dogged determination to live a normal life, even though that was impossible. When I get back to the restaurant reviews (I'm sorry, I'm in a lot of pain right now), I'm going to work in both restaurants that Mix nominated, even if they don't win. 

I've never seen anyone look more tired than Jennifer, his mom. My only hope, in the short term, is that she is able to get some sleep.

• Like 1

I wish Mix was alive so I could push him around in his wheelchair, watching him capture Pokémons. Thing is - the guy was so gentle, he probably wouldn't even capture a Pokémon.

I also wish Eddiebosox was alive so I could meet him and have a beer.

I wish the terrorists didn't massacre all the innocents tonight in Nice.

I wish a lot of things.

This is an ugly world.